Juan Maria Gutierrez Street in Recoleta Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Lodging and Accomodations » Juan Maria Gutierrez Street in Recoleta « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sarah Humberd
Username: Sarahandalex

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, I think I may have found where I want to stay during my honeymoon. The street address is Juan Maria Gutierrez 2600 and it is an apartment in Recoleta. However, I want to make sure I am within walking distance to parks, retaurants, clubs, shopping, museums, etc. Would anyone be familiar with this street and area? Please let me know! All advice is appreciated!

Geoff Pearson
Username: Gpearson

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Sarah,

I know that street, we stayed nearby in Aaroz earlier this year. It's actually in Palermo & not Recoleta. It runs between Plaza Sobral & the Zoological Gardens. It's a pretty good area & there are plenty of small shops, cafes, restaurants etc. nearby. The bigger shops are on Santa Fe or take the Subte to Catedral & walk down Av. Florida for the full-on shopping experience.

The small, shady, Plaza Sobral is much used by the locals, I think maybe because it has a nice children's area. There are several mid-range restaurants bordering the Plaza & a couple of small supermarkets close by. I recall also that Avenida Cervino a couple of blocks away had some nice restaurants.

J.M. Gutierrez is not however, an easy walk to the Cementerio area of Recoleta which has the highest concentration of restaurants & clubs. It costs about 6 pesos in a taxi of which there are plenty. On the flip side, it is only about a 10-minute walk to the Subte on Sante Fe which means that you can get to just about anywhere in the city easily & cheaply. It is just around the corner from the Eva Peron museum & you can walk to one of the major galleries on the other side of Libertador (I forget which one).

For what it's worth, my wife & I are returning this summer & going back to that general area. It's not as touristy, or expensive, as Recoleta but rather a good residential neighbourhood that caters mainly for the locals. Shops & restaurants are reasonably priced & it's 100% safe to promenade with the locals even in the early hours. There's a Heladerio on the corner of Plaza Sobral that was always packed even at 1.00am. Portenos love ice cream & they keep late hours!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

HTH

Geoff Pearson

W Piccione
Username: Mrspicci

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Sarah! I think you want to stay around the British Embassy. Check out craig's list and perhaps google "apartments in buneos aires." Ok.
Good luck,
Mrs P

Sarah Humberd
Username: Sarahandalex

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks so much for everyone's advice! Hopefully I will get this figured out soon!

:-)

Adam Walker
Username: Adam_walker

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just checked the map Sarah, J Gutierrez looks just a few blocks awayfrom the Plaza's, Francia and Mitre - I went to Francia this Saturday, sat in the sun with live bands playing, drinking maté with the crowds, it was excellent - lots of restaurants and bars, and I imagine you are only a 10 minute walk.

However, by staying anywhere in Recoleta, you are miles from the nearest subte (subway), and I wouldnt want to come to Buenos Aires and just see Recoleta! For me, Recoleta is nice but I prefer Palermo/Palermo Viejo and San Telmo. The nice thing is that you are in the middle, so if you dont mind spending 7-10pesos (US$3) u can get to Palermo, El Centro, San Telmo, Palermo Veijo (my FAVOURITE place for restauarants and shops) etc. easily.

Personally, I would stay in J Gurtierrez so you are close to Plaza Francia when you want to walk closeby for food and drink, and be happy taking a couple of taxis each day to see the rest of the city, it is your honeymoon afterall!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration