Advice on accomodation in Palermo Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Lodging and Accomodations » Advice on accomodation in Palermo « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Elizabeth
Username: Elizabeth

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

We are planning a wedding in Buenos Aires and are attempting to find suitable and reputable accomodation venues for our guests. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of Casa Felicitas in Palermo Hollywood? If so, I would appreciate your comments on this establishment.

Thank you,

Elizabeth

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 863
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Elizabeth, I investigated this and could not come up with anything... Let's wait see if anyone else can contribute.

terry watkin
Username: Whatsit4

Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This past February I ( part of the time with two friends) rented an apartment in Palermo. The apartment was right across the street from the Austrian Embasy on Avenida French. We found the accomodation through bytargentina.com. My friends used the same service in 2005 to find an apartment. I never saw the apartment they rented in 2005, but they said it was very nice. The one we rented this past February was very centrally located fully furnished with maid service once a week. The apartments are all very reasonably priced, even when converted to Canadian $'s. I'm going to BA again in May of 2007 and will again use bytargentina.com. You can rent for a week or up to or over a month.

terry

Elizabeth
Username: Elizabeth

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the advice.

Are there any parts of Palermo to avoid? Some guest will have young children. Here are two areas we are considering, so if anyone can tell me in general about these areas I would appreciate it.

1) Palermo Hollywood at Nicaragua and Ravignani
2) Palermo Soho at Acuna de Figueroa (between El Salvador and Honduras)

Muchas Gracias!

Elizabeth

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 866
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nothing to avoid in these areas as they have been revamped in recent years with businesses (finer restaurants and boutique hotels), however, it always pays to stay alert all around the city just like in any other large metropolitan area. Some streets in these neighborhoods may get younger crowds during the weekends or at night but this shouldn't be of concern.

luciano pereira
Username: Luciano

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

100% right Roberto I live near there at 'Las Ca˝itas' Belgrano if you need any information i am willing to help you, Luciano Buenos Aires Argentina.

lpereira[at]derecho[dot]uba[dot]ar

Darth
Username: Darth

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you want to read about palermo and BUenos Aires, there´┐Żs many blogs with helpfull information about neighbourhoods, cultural life and restaurantes. You can visit Live Palermo blog on my profile.

(Message edited by admin on June 11, 2007)

ruggero
Username: Bart

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Palermo it's the bigger neighborhood in Buenos Aires. Portenos (the inhabbitants of Buenos Aires City) divided it unofficialy into different palermos;

Palermo Las Canitas, the most exclusive and beutiful side of Palermo, and even inside of this sub-neighborhood, there is "La Imprenta" a couple of city blocks, with axe in migueletes and maure streets. Las Canitas remarks: It's an area with lots of nice restaurants, parrillas (argentinean beef), sushi, specialized/ ethnical restaurants (thai, mexican, greek, lyrical, custom, international, chinese, italian, french, german, etc). Modern buildings, nice cars on the streets, upscale people, in general it's quiet especially during daylights closer main avenues are libertador ave and Luis Maria Campos. El solar de la abadia shopping mall has also cinema, food court and cloth as any shopping mall. Outdoors close to Las Canitas: Golf course, polo fields this is the polo finals video , race tracksRace tracks video , palermo lakes, bosques de palermo (crossing libertador ave). and this video when codigo pais fair we shooted . Interesting is in the fields of this fair, a big hotel + apartments complex will be built.You may click here for las canitas pictures

Palermo Embassy, limits with belgrano, palermo hollywood, palermo las canitas, remarks: it's a quiet neighborhood with big mansions now many institutions and consulates and embassies (Germany embassy it's at least 30 acres), australian consulate, European Union headquarters, italian labour house, and many other embassies. Main axe for shops it's cabildo ave, subway stations are there over cabildo ave. Basically the military war accademy and hospital divides palermo embassy from las canitas, unfortunaly we have only a few pictures of Palermo Embassy .

Palermo Hollywood, this takes the name of "hollywood" since several TV studios are around, like channel 9, channel 2, radio stations, and production companies. This made possible for nice restaurants to establish there their business. There are lots of nice and fancy restaurants in Palermo Hollywood plus 4 new towers will be built by the next year. Anyways, the remaining poor houses taken by force generally by illegal immigrants makes the scene not so nice like in palermo embassy, las canitas or palermo soho. click here for palermo hollywood pictures

Palermo Nuevo, stands for "new palermo" because this part of town used to be abandoned a few decades ago, now everything there it's 12 years or younger, towers, buildings, banks, restaurants. It's a small part of palermo, but full of life and nice houses and shops. The US embassy, consulate and "la rural" fair it's in palermo nuevo. Plaza Italia it's the axe of Palermo Nuevo, On the right we find the access to the botanical garden. Facing across las heras avenue, is the main entrance to the zoo and the opposite side of sarmiento`s avenue,there is a big exhibitions than take place there are the buenos aires book fair,ARTEBA an important fair of the art galleries and the rural exhibition an extremely interesting agricultural and livestork exhibition. Sarmiento`s avenue ends right in the middle if italy park if we walk 656 gards we will bump into the spaniards monument and beyond it,the palermo forest.we have only a few pictures of Palermo Nuevo this runway video has been shooted inside of la rural in order to cover 2006 fashion week Buenos Aires

Bosques de Palermo, no one lives in bosques de palermo because this large extension of green and parks + artificial lakes it's called bosques de palermo. ZOO: the main entrance is at the las heras and sarmiento arcade.Upon arrival was encounter a panoramic view of the darwin lake,set in a romantic landscape of the 19th century.The ruins we notice on the isle of this lake,are made of aunthentic byzantine marble, brought from trieste in 1910, the elephant palace is a beautiful indian fantasy,japanese pagodas and roman shrines complete a didactic imaginary stroll,there is awide variety of species as well an aquarium and snake exhibition. GALILEO GALILEI PLANETARIUM: this building has a theather that sits 360 people it is properly equipped and it is valued ceiling for scientific events and shows a valuable metallic meteorites are exibited on the entrance esplanade it fell on the province of chaco in 1965,the planetarium is located on the corner of sarmiento avenue and B.roldan street. THE ROSE GARDEN: you may get to the rose garden eigther walking along an avenue sorrounded by flowerbeds or crossing a bridge upon the lake.There are many interesting spots in the rose gardens,such as the poet`s corner,the andalucien patio. SIVORI MUSEUM: it is an important museun of argentinean painting,sculpture engraving and illustration from the 19th and 20th centuries,it`s huge collection is only partly exibited in this newly opened branch at Av.de la infanta 555. opening time: tuesday through friday 12 to 6 pm. you may click here for bosques de palermo pictures and this is a video on libertador ave

Palermo Soho, ironically, the center of palermo soho it's the old palermo square "plaza palermo viejo", once a year they organize a very relaxed and easy going activity (buen dia festival) in december, and this is the video of buen dia festival and it's surounded by designer shops, tailors, caffes, restaurants and it's a very nice place in town, there is so much life, mainly attracted by the axe, plaza cortazar click here for palermo soho pictures

Palermo Viejo, the old palermo, there is almost no action here since this is a residencial neighborhood, however, nice old houses and unique architecture is findable here.

Alto Palermo, lands are a little bit higher here in alto palermo, axe of this area it's the "alto palermo" shopping located in Santa Fe and Coronel Diaz. Boulevard charcas it's one of few boulevards in town and has lots of small caffes and this video has been shooted on Alto palermo area, during christmas 2005. you may also click here for alto palermo pictures

Palermo Botanico, next to the gardens this is also a residencial area with no many kiosks and restaurants like the others, but it's a great area to explore:

EVITA MUSEUM: this neo colonial palace houses a museum that in an entertaining and didactic way tells the life and work of Eva peron, and of the most important and influential of the 20th century,there are dress collections,archive,the library and archive files of the eva peron institutes that operates there are also available for consultations in the museum patio there is a cury bar and restaurant. opening hours: tuesday to friday from 2 pm to 7.30 pm-lafinur 2988.

THE BOTANICAL GARDEN: designed by the famous landscape designer carlos thays it was inaugurated in 1902. The main entrance is at the corner of santa fe and las heras avenue.from there on you may walk through the main landscape route to the large greenhouse,a building that received an award in the international exhibitions of paris, besides it lies a brick building now the excursion office. Several sculptures decorate this area and among them,stands at andina del plata the sculptor lucio correa morales,open tuesday to sunday at 10am.

Barrio Parque, the most exclusive part of Buenos Aires, also known as "palermo chico", concentrate large mansions as well as residences and embassies like greece, bangladesh, spain and others. The area layout was designed by carlos thays and it was build in 1912,if we move forward through libertador avenue leaving behind the decorative arte museum;once we`ve crossed the avenue,we will arrive at on ancient grove area. Among which we find residences and aristocratic palaces,many of them,such as embassy of spain,belgium and portugal. Turning of moriscal castilla street and just one an block further we will see the grandbourg house. A reproduction of the place where general san martin lived his last years. Directly across the street we can see the house that belonged to victoria ocampo,an internationally well known intellectual that acted as patron.Figures such as stranvinsky stayed at another house.

Javier
Username: Javi

Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all!
Thank-you very much for this great forum.I'm arriving in BA in early October and plan to spend 6 weeks exploring this fascinating city and its surrounds. I know there's much to see and do and I hope that by the end of the trip I can truely say that I've discovered the essence of this great city and its people.
I'm yet to finalise accommodation and would appreciate advice regarding hostels in the Palermo area. From what I've read so far, Palermo is generally recommended as a safe area with lots of interesting cafes, restaurants and nightlife to explore.
I would prefer a hostel with private room and bathroom facilities as well as good security. I know that many of the hostels are geared towards the younger end of the market which can be fun, provided you can get to sleep when you need to.
Also, I would be interested to hear opinions regarding the cafes/restaurants/pubs/hangouts which are not to be missed in Palermo and buenos aires generally. I speak reasonable spanish and would enjoy places which are not necessarily tourist haunts, but rather where the real Portenos go to let their hair down.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Javier, welcome! Not familiar with hostels but if BB are an option there are some listed here. Otherwise, check the listings for BA at hostels argentina. There aren't too many to choose from so it may be a relatively easy pick.

Julie Hill
Username: Sky

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We visited BA last year in sept and had such a wonderful time we are coming back around sept 8. We are looking for a double room under $100 in a central location. We will only be staying in BA for 2-3 days and then go to Iguazu Falls. Also, any suggestions for a reasonable tour which includes air/hotel/transfer to/from the falls. I am a flight attendant with US carrier and of course would love to find a good deal. Perhaps someone will offer industry discount?

Thanks Sky

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sky, air/hotel/transfers/tours for 3 nights would be approx. usd $470 per person. Contact Erna about this or any other request like cheaper hotels. I just asked her about FA discounts but she said there aren't any. Still, she has good prices.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration