2 Weeks - Looking for recommendations... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Lodging and Accomodations » 2 Weeks - Looking for recommendations... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Phil Lew
Username: Sfphilly838

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

First let me say thank you Robert for all the great information you have shared in this forum.

My wife and I will be spending 2 weeks in Argentina in the mid-October timeframe. We will be arriving in BA and have not made definitive plans as of yet so we are looking for some recommendations. We are in our early thirties and looking for a combination of luxury and adventurer (last trip before the kids come)

Besides spending a few days in BA, we were thinking of visiting: Iguazu & Patagonia (maybe even a quick trip to Easter Island, Chile....especially since we will be "down there" already).

We were also thinking of renting a car to explore the country? Would you recommend this?

Thanks in advance

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 646
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Phil, welcome!

I doubt you can make a quick escapade to Easter Island while visiting Argentina. Besides long distances, you must take into account that our airports -and services in general- are not up to the same standards as the US, including potential strikes and other mishaps. This doesn't mean you may have a great time and enjoy the people you will come across enormously, only that Argentina is a less efficient place.

You will arrive at a good time, spring will be in full swing but patagonia will still remain cold. If this is your first visit and considering your ages, I would highly recommend that you explore Bariloche for at least 4 or 5 days. Bariloche is part of the patagonia but not the deep south, snow will be gone and weather although chilly will be very nice. Bariloche is a favorite destination for young married couples and honeymooners and you can combine some adventure here as well, like trekking or bike tours. In addition, you will be close to Chile so you can cross into the southern areas in a day trip.

Renting a car is risky. If in the city of Buenos Aires, I'd say no. We tailgate a lot (it's accepted behaviour), speed a lot and do plenty of careless driving, so this may add some stress to you. Even if you plan to drive cross country or in the outskirts where ranches are. We had one client that did this while trying to get to an 'estancia' in northern Buenos Aires and got lost. Signaling is nothing like in the US and mapping may not be completely reliable.

You could conceivably do this in Mendoza or Bariloche, perhaps. But I recommend first you spend a few days watching how we drive. There is no turn on red, btw. And no self-service at most gas stations so you have to tip the employee.

You will like Iguazu which needs ideally 3 days because of flight schedules and such. Here, you can also do a bit of trekking and some mild adventure tours. In some of these places, like Bariloche or Mendoza you could take one or 2 guided excursions and then explore the area yourself. You can find luxury accomodations in BA (many), Bariloche (Llao LLao) and Mendoza (Hyatt) for sure. BA has some areas that are really nice, where you can hang out all day doing nothing like in La Recoleta/Plaza Francia and such.

Whatever you do, I invite you to post your comments when back from your trip. Being outspoken about your experience will help others a lot and here, we are open to any opinions. Members range from americans -experienced or first timers-, to argentines living down there, to expats that have moved, to europeans, latins and many more. I am an argentine expat who sometimes has strong words for Argentina so ask away... and reading the forum you may notice that others would speak their minds too.

Hope this narrows down your trip a bit.

(Message edited by admin on August 07, 2006)

Phil Lew
Username: Sfphilly838

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto -

I've been doing more research so here are the 4 locations I would like to visit: BA , Bariloche, Iguazu & Calafate.

That will be quite a bit to do but I think we are up for the challenge. I'm looking for some assistance on how we should plan on our itinerary from the US (San Francisco).

1) Leave SFO – October 12th
2) Arrive in BA – October 13th
*Stay in BA until October 15th
3) Leave BA for Bariloche – October 15th
*Stay in Bariloche for 3 nights
4) Leave Barilioche for Iguazu – October 18th
*Stay in Iguzau for 3 nights
5) Leave Iguazu for Calafate – October 21rst
*Stay in Calafate for 3 nights
6) Leave Calafate for BA – October 24th
*Stay in BA for our final 2 nights
7) Fly back from BA to California - October 26th

Questions:
1) Not sure if we should stay in BA our first two days or connect right thru to Bariloche? My original thinking was that we would stay 2 days in BA to get acclimated to a South American country.
2) Not sure if BA – Bariloche – Iguazu – Calafate – BA is the best order.
3) Should we book our air travel before arriving? Can you assist with booking our entire trip? We found a great price on a roundtrip fare from California to BA but have not secured any of the other flights/buses.
4) Is it easy to book day tours at the various cities? Do we need early reservations?
5) Would you do something different with the itinerary above? Take a day from here and add it there…etc. Or if I had an extra day where would you add it?

Thanks again for the help.

Pino Di stefano
Username: Pino

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am planning a trip: 7 days in Rio de Janerio 20 days in Buenos Aires and 10 days at Mar de la Plata.

I will like to rent a studio apartment in all the 3 places
Date: Jan. 25 to Jan 31 in Rio
From Feb.1to18/07 in Buenos Aires
From Feb.19 to 28 at Mar de La Plata

Any assistance will be highly appreciated

Thanks

Pino Di Stefano
E-mail: pdistefano@si.rr.com

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration