Strait of LeMaire history. Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Argentine Culture » Strait of LeMaire history. « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

William J. LeMaire
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am interested to find out as much as possible about the history/discovery/naming of the "Strait of LeMaire" "Estrecho de LeMaire" at the southern tip of Tierra del Fuego. Also I am interested in the same information about the" Lemaire channel" on the Antartic Peninsula. Can you help me and/or direct me.

Roberto (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear William, it is difficult to track back its discovery. Some initial reasearch led me to George Anson, who was in charge of a British convoy that would engage in expeditions through the southern hemisphere during 1741. He wrote on his voyage logs: "After we left Strait of Lemaire, we had to cope with nasty storms which surprised even the most seasoned officers on board. They all agreed that what they had known as storms up to this date had just been not more than tropical winds that paled in comparison to the violent gushes our ship was facing... which were more dangerous than any other storm we had ever experienced anywhere around the Globe".

Of specific expeditions made in this region I was able to pinpoint sailors James LeMaire and William Cornelius Schouten (of Dutch nationaliy)who may have discovered the strait around 1615-17.

----------------------------------------
Nationality: Dutch
Departure: Texel, Holland, June 14, 1615
Return: Texel, Holland, June 24, 1617
Ships: Concord and Horn; both returned
Comments: This was the first voyage that independently rediscovered the Drake Passage. They discovered a number of new islands in the Pacific, then reached Batavia (now Jakarta) in Indonesia. There they met Spilberg (see above) who sent the two captains home on Dutch East India Company ships. This happened to a number of Dutch voyagers and apparently had to do with violations of the Dutch East India Company monopoly. LeMaire died of a fever on the island of Mauritus; Schouten returned home. Their two ships under new command also made it back.
--------------------------------------------
For more information please check Circumnavigations around the Globe.

As for the antartic channel, it seems it had a different origin. The channel was discovered in 1873 by the German expedition under Eduard Dallmann and named in 1898 by Gerlache of the Belgian Antarctic expedition for Charles Lemaire, a Belgian explorer of the Congo.

I am hoping someone with more knowledge may jump in... This information is by no means factual.

William J. LeMaire
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Test

Administrator
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Test

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration