Lived here 15 years ANY questions, Ju... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Argentine Culture » Lived here 15 years ANY questions, Just ask! « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Ghidossi
Username: Chascomus

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Everyone,
I've been living here for 15 years, (originally from the SF Bay Area) If you have any questions feel free to ask or check out my articles.

Take care!

(Message edited by admin on July 08, 2006)

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 596
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Paul! Welcome!!

Interesting opinion. I did a bit of cleaning since we prefer not having links dropped. The ones you may have noticed may belong to long-time members who contributed heavily in the past, therefore gaining a little trust... Most of the topics you wanted readers to learn about can also be discussed here. I personally would love to know more about what obstacles you encountered with your restaurant. I am sure your experience is invaluable. I am also positive that readers who want to know more about you will either pm you or visit your page by checking your profile... Anyway, we welcome you!

Ray Thompson
Username: Raystravel

Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Paul,

I keep hearing about the big steak and beef dinners at the local restaurants. Aren't there any good seafood restaurants in BA? I don't mine beef but I love seafood too. Hopefully you can fill me in. I'll be arriving January 4th 2007.

Ray Thompson

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 891
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In addition to other members' choices, you can check "Los Chilenos" close to where you will be staying. A somewhat run down place but with surprisingly good seafood. I believe they also serve chilean bass.

Although there are a few ones that specialize only in seafood most will include choices on beef too. That is the way it goes...

Other names to investigate
San Antonino, in San Telmo. Bolivar 1083 | 4361-5851
Sorrento Recova, in 1053 Posadas st. - close to where you will stay.
Aralar at Hotel NH Jousten - Av. Corrientes 280
Café Moliere close to your hotel - Juncal 1822
Centro Vasco Laurak Bat for spanish style seafood at Av. Belgrano 1144 (San Telmo)
Clark's (upscale) in downtown | Sarmiento 645
El Salmon II in downtown | Reconquista 1014
La Parolaccia del mare, in Puerto Madero | Av Moreau de Justo 1160

Take into account some of the above will be pricey. My favorites are Los Chilenos and La Parolaccia.

ruggero
Username: Bart

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree!
As long as BA it's not the best place to try seafood, may be the culture or lack of seafood, make seafood expensive. Anyway, also Plaza Mayor (spaniard restaurant) and Campo dei Fiori also offers high quality, my favorite it's the chinese neighbor in Belgrano, as well as many sushi restaurants (Sushi Club, Yoko's, Azul Profundo) located in las canitas. Also, Mykonos, located over olleros and Soldado de la Independencia (Greek) has great quality seafood (very expensive).

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 297

Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would not want to eat fish that came out of the Rio de la Plata.
Argentina is world famous for its beef.

When in Rome,do as the Romans do seems to come to mind.

Ray Thompson
Username: Raystravel

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't plan to eat the fish. Never have. It's the name of the game and the game is called SPORT FISHING!!!!

Ray Thompson

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 299

Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought we were talking about eating in a seafood place.
You were talking about a see food place. See food, eat it.

Sorry

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 896
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gents, no need for this.

All contributions are welcome and they all help, even if by making this a friendlier place. I see you and Tom disagreed on the fishing thread too but it is always a good idea to just ignore things instead of letting them upset us. I am positive Tom was only playing a little as he always does.

Lucky him if he has the time.

Ken Kerr
Username: Doctork

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto
I appreciate the careful attention you give this board. You are a considerate gentleman.
Ken

Arial
Username: Arial

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto I have to add my kudos. I have no idea what it is about forums that allows people who would be perfectly polite in your living room to feel like they have license on a forum to be rude. I have seen you delete stuff that doesn't belong here and I was starting to wonder, is Roberto going to address this?

You do, and YOU manage to do it so politely yourself. The words that Ken has used are good ones for you: considerate gentleman.

Many thanks,
Arial

Cheryl Slabozeski
Username: Tangolover

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will be returning to Buenos Aires in April 2007. The last tour company I hired was very good but they went out of business. Can anybody recommend a tour company? Also, can you recommend a private dance teacher? Cheryl

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 897
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cheryl, you couldn't have come at a better time to remind us the real purpose of this forum, which is to help others...

But it's a bit late here in Miami (10.44 pm) and I had a somewhat stressful day -like many of you at this time of the year (shopping, christmas, etc)-. Tomorrow I will be moving your post to a new topic so we can discuss it better. Good night y'all and thank you for always coming back. And never forget this is just a forum. Life happens outside.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 899
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Due to a few private emails I decided to do some pruning on this thread although I am aware mostly everyone have had a chance to read the deleted posts.

Cheryl, what kind of tours are you looking for? And is this only for Buenos Aires? You can research BAT (buenosairestour) or you can also check the official sites for the city of Buenos Aires that have comprehensive information on events and things to do, including free tours. I know of 2 sites here and here

As far as I know, there are a few small agencies that may organize unsual tours like biking and in the past someone posted information of spanish-lessons-tours.

Cheryl Slabozeski
Username: Tangolover

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto,

I am looking for walking tours for Buenos Aires spoken in English. I had a wonderful tour guide last year but they went out of business. Also, somewhere outside of Buenos Aires they is a town I think in Buenos Aires providence when they sell silver. Can you tell me how to get there and what is the best way of travel to get there. Also looking for a private tango teacher. The lessons where we are staying at the Masion Royal is very expensive (45.00 per hour). Thank you for all your help. I really love Buenos Airs and can't wait until I arrive again. Cheryl

Federico
Username: Malbec

Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hi Cheryl,

for walking tours in BA check

http://www.urbex.com.ar/

good luck!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 907
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cheryl, are you referring to "La Plata", about 40 miles south of Buenos Aires? I don't know if they sell silver there but that is the name of the town... If so, you can get there by taking a bus at the terminal in Retiro. Many depart every day, so easy.

The city offers free walking tours, some guided. Check this page where you can find the booths from the Secretariat of tourism. Visit or call them and ask for schedules and information. Will look into a private tango teacher and write back.

F Nilsen
Username: Travelpaws

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Paul,

I have one question about Argentinean culture. Does it tend to be noisy, like Mexican culture? I live in a primarily Mexican neighborhood in southern California, and though there are many things I like about Mexican people -- their warmth, non-judgmental, never complain, very accepting and friendly -- the noise they make can really make you crazy at times. Everything is celebrated with loud music, big gatherings and fireworks. Can you describe how Argentina compares to Mexico in this regard?

Incidentally, I'm interested in traveling to Argentina (and Chile) for an extended stay to study Spanish. Would like to visit Bariloche.

ruggero

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In my opinion, mexicans living in CA and Portenos are very different.

F Nilsen
Username: Travelpaws

Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm not familiar with the term "Portenos." What does it mean?

ruggero

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Portenos. People from the port. Portenos lives in Buenos Aires City while Bonaerenses lives outside of the city in Gran Buenos Aires.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 909
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Travelpaws, this is a generalization only. I think we, argentines, are more sober but this doesn't necessarily mean moderation in everything we do. Neither it says we are better or worse. Just more sober when it comes to partying. We may indulge in other things and have other vices, though. Like being opinionated people.

Juan
Username: Callmejuan

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cheryl, I think you are talking about San Antonio de Areco and his many artisan's shops selling handmade silver.
Ruggero, Bonaerenses are all the people of Buenos Aires province.

Lee Levey
Username: Aircanada014

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello everyone

I'm new to this forum. I've just starting to read some of the posts here. I'm planning to head down to Buenos Aires in late Jul approx 23 or 30th. Hi Paul I have few questions to ask.

1. What is the weather going to be like in late Jul since its winter season down there?

2. Should I be using Pesos or US dollar currency to pay for anything like restaurants, stores, transportations, tipping and other expenses?

3. Whats the chance of being rob when using my digital camcorder for taking pictures and video down there? I hear that if you wear expensive jewelery, carrying cameras, and other expensive items there's a chance someone will snatch them away from you. I know we have to play it smart by not displaying anything expensive, not to wearing anything that will caught the robbers attention.

4. Any good seafood restaurants in Buenos Aires? I love lobster tails (langostas). I know Argentina is the place for beef eaters too, but I do love seafood.

Thats all the questions for now if I have more I will let you know.

cheers.

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 345

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Lee and Welcome

Argentina is the tenth largest country in the world according to most accounts. It is long with warm rain forest type weather in the north to Glaciers in the south. So for the weather forcast you have to pick your location. Buenos Aires, the city, is more northerly than most of the country. It does not snow, have hurricanes, rains occaisonally and doesn't get as cold as southern Buenos Aires province which gets really cold. The Glaciers are a long way south of there.

US dollars are accepted everywhere and the rate of exchage is basically 3 to 1.

The robbers are no worse in Argentina than the US. Probably a lot more polite. It depends on where you are. Use common sense.

Lobster tails are not a common meal in Argentina, at least as far as my experience. I would think there are some restaurants that serve them.

The beef I humbly submit is the best you will find anywhere.

I love Argentina and will go back there as soon as I can.

Beatrice m castorina
Username: Googoglie

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey man, Im from SF Bay area also, and I was thinking about moving out to Argentina and starting up an organic farm. Which province should I be looking at? Would it be hard to buy land (being American and all)? Can I get all the necessary equipment I need (tractor, seeds, tools, etc...) locally? Is there enough demand for fruits and vegetables in Argentina to make a modest living? Anything else of interest I should be asking you? Thanks, peace.

Diane Lanier
Username: Dlanier

Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am a Spanish teacher and will be traveling to Argentina with a mission group from my school next March. I will teaching the group several phrases to use during the trip. I do not want to offend any Argentines, therefore, I am unsure as to whether to use the formal "usted" or informal "tu" when teaching phrases such as "God bless YOU" and "Jesus loves YOU" etc. I would like to hear from Argentines or people who are very familiar with nuances of the Spanish language. Thank you, Diane

Yassine
Username: Chiko

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am no expert in the spanish language, but been here for 3 months now... and tu does not exist... I would go either with usted or vos.. and more likely vos.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration