Unitarios y Federales and the Pink H... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Argentine Culture » Unitarios y Federales and the Pink House « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marisa Dalman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

I have recently been to Buenos Aires and I loved the city!
And I learnt something I found very interesting. I was told the government house was painted pink by a former President as a sign of union between the two political parties that divided the country at the time, the "unitarios" and "federales". These two parties were represented by the colors red and white. (I don't know which color was each party.) Do you know??

Thanks, anyway.
Marisa

roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Marisa, this is correct.

In 1580, Juan de Garay built Buenos Aires fortress in this exact spot. Today, the building located at Balcarce 50, is the official Presidential office and has been since 1810. This is the equivalent of the White House and the Oval office in the US.

Close to the national flag there is usually a sign/symbol indicating whether the President is at the office at the moment or not. The peculiar color of the building does come as a result of a compromise between the two strongest political forces back in the day. It was President Sarmiento who in 1873 painted it pink to represent the union of 'Unitarios' (white color) and 'Federales' (represented by red color of Juan Manuel de Rosas).

sofia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hi im studying argentinian history and as an assignment i have to find out what are the differences between los unitarios and los federales could you please help me out by pointing out some of the basics?

roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to our Forums, Sofia.

Right after the declaration of independence on July 9th, 1816 in Tucuman, local Congress reaffirmed that government would be held by a "Directory" presided by Juan Martin Pueyrredon. The new nation now faced the dilemma of its own organization. Quickly, two opposite lines of thought developed. Those who wanted the state of Buenos Aires -which led the revolutionary process up until independence- to be the head of a central government with centralized power and those who wanted a more autonomous government with federal states maintaining a balance of power equal to the one Buenos Aires had held up until that time.

The centralists were called 'Unitarios' and the decentralized movement was called 'Federales'. The two parties went into battle for the first time in 1820, during the battle of Cepeda. In such occasion, Buenos Aires had to fight against the states of Entre Rios and Santa Fe, which together with Corrientes and what is now Uruguay presented the heaviest opposition to Buenos Aires centralized ideas. The defeat of Buenos Aires meant that now Argentina would be a federated nation.

Differences were never resolved and Unitarios and Federales continued to fight against each other until a foreign threat, Brazil, started to expand into what is now Uruguay in 1825.

In 1826, after the conflict with Brazil was resolved, a new government was established in Buenos Aires, this time led by Unitario Bernardino Rivadavia. In the end, he got ousted as the head of the national assembly and was replaced by a Federal counterpart, Dorrego.

In 1828, Dorrego got ousted too and was replaced by Unitario Juan Lavalle whose first order as the head of the new government was to kill Dorrego himself. This led to a civil war between Unitarios and Federales. In the end, Juan Manuel de Rosas, a federalist in command of Buenos Aires defeated Lavalle's forces and took over the destinies of Argentina until 1852. For those 21 years, Rosas imposed his lines of thought mostly by force and obliterated all of his opposition via a repressive system. Having no serious opposition, for most Unitarios had fled the country, most of his resistance came from his own party. In the end, he was ousted from office by Urquiza (Entre Rios), in 1852.

Urquiza initiated the last leg of the conflict between Unitarios and Federales. He called for a national assembly in 1852 that would promulgate a year later our national consitution, mirroring United States constitution, establishing a federal government based on the representation of the people. The differences between Unitarios and Federales persisted for a while but the conflict took a back seat for the nation had more pressing issues to resolve...

Hope this helps.

manuela
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

holaa!! yo soy de argentina y no entiendo nada de lo que dicen ustedes!!
necesito info sobre los unitarios y federales!
bye!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Manuela, no tenemos. Este forum es de viajes a Argentina y solamente menciona aspectos de nuestra historia al pasar...

miss america
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

what are the federalists and unitarios. do they stand for the deomcrats and republicans or something like}}}} that?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Please read the above post:

> The centralists were called 'Unitarios' and the decentralized movement was called 'Federales'.

Briefly, 'Unitarios' wanted Buenos Aires to concentrate all political power whereas 'Federales' advocated for spreading the government throughout all provinces. I think democrats and republicans' differences go beyond of how they view the role of government. D and R also have social and moral differences (liberals vs conservatives). U and F was mainly about politics, as far as I know.

Administrator
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Test

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration