Falklands/Malvinas Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Argentine Culture » Falklands/Malvinas « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zachary Morgan
Username: Zachary

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello, I am coming to stay in Buenos Aires for 3 months - to brush up on my Spanish, and to see this city. I am really looking forward to it but was wondering about Argentine/British relations; particularily regarding the Falklands war? I also happen to be from Portsmouth which is the home of the British Navy, and was a little worried about telling people where I'm from...

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 333
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Zachary, Argentina has had a nationalistic slant for a long, long time. You can expect every now and then to hear things regarding both americans and british citizens. This comes from the times of Peron's government -almost 6 decades ago- and was reinforced or lessened during different political cycles. Also, depending on the ruling party the animosities will either tilt to americans or to british. However, not so long ago we had a long cycle of pervasive "friendship" with both the US and the UK. This happened throughout Menem's presidential period in the 90's.

In my view, tourism has flourished in such a way that the average citizen has placed the Falkland/Malvinas war in the backburner. For the regular local it is far more important survival and benefiting from a foreign patron than taking any political stance.

In addition, you must consider that the war was initiated by a Military government and by most accounts, the present government and 'montoneros' in general find this despicable and consider it a complete stupidity.

Briefly, no need to keep a low profile except for the common sense atittude a traveler must have when visiting a foreign country.

Now, if you are going to badmouth Ossie Ardiles that is another story...

(Message edited by admin on February 18, 2006)

Zachary Morgan
Username: Zachary

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you AGAIN Roberto!

I thought that this was probably the case, but guides and travel books seem to avoid the subject. It's OK, I'm not some crass 'Union Jack' waving nationalist - just thought it prudent to ask.

I'll be careful to keep a low profile during the upcoming Football World Cup though!!!

Juan
Username: Callmejuan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Zachary you are very welcome here. We know de difference between british citizens and Maggie T.
I hope to see you in World Cup final game!!

Gustavo Flores
Username: Xgustax

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think for many Argentines they dont blame the British people as much as the British government. You should have too many problems after all many Argentines are also of British Decent.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 551
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> You should have too many problems after all many Argentines are also of British Decent.

meant 'You should not'?

Gustavo Flores
Username: Xgustax

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes you are right =) i am sorry Roberto haha should have overlooked it =)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration