Hawking, begging, and street trade... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Argentine Culture » Hawking, begging, and street trade... « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Francisco
Username: Pacopancho

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

what is the attitude in argentina about hawking (ie. selling something directly on the street to the public)? Do you need a licence? Are there many hawkers?

What about beggars? Are there many? Do people tend to give to them? Do they tend to sit down with a sign, or approach people directly with stories?

What about busking? Is it common? Do you need a licence? Do people feel happy to give to buskers?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are many street vendors who try to sell goods in public venues such as pedestrian Florida st. Goods may include paintings or a performances -busking-. Yes, some people offer money to artists who perform, sometimes to jugglers who perform on red lights while the cars are waiting. I am positive this is regulated and requires licensing, at least the part of street vendors but like anything in Argentina enforcement is a different story so there may be some without a license.

As for beggars, you will most often see the children, not the adults, asking for money. Many prefer giving them food instead but the kids would not always take it just to avoid getting beaten down by their parents who are expecting coin. It is also common to see children begging inside restaurants or food places, specially close to marginal zones like Villa 31 in Retiro (wow, wikipedia has an entrance for Villa 31).

Francisco
Username: Pacopancho

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanks, Roberto, for your information. I am keen to hear more about it from other people's points of view. From what you describe, however, it seems that Argentina is a fairly tolerant place.

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 222

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Francisco, I almost never give to beggars. I believe that people should work if they want money.

But I do donate to the performing artists--the guitarist in the subway, the singers and tango dangers on the street, the mimes. I don't consider it begging. They have the hat or the pan there but they contribute something of value. I like to encourage them and so I carry money in my purse reserved for them.

But they have to be good. If it is obvious they have put little effort into what they do, it is okay with me for them to practice there but I don't contribute.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is a strange dichotomy in argentines. We are actually somewhat intolerant. You can see this on TV on some of the political shows. You can also see it in the streets how people argue and think about the government and perhaps in the government itself. In circles of friends this comes up as arrogant, know-it-all behaviour. In general, our intolerance takes the shape of being judgmental.

But as a society, there is a certain looseness that comes as a result of lack of enforcement at many levels. So although there is the appearance of a 'relaxed' place where everything (or many things) goes and that you can get away with some things (possibly true) there is a bit of intolerance running in the background. Add this to our schizo side and you have a perfect mix for TANGOS.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration