Any acceptable short forms - BsAs and... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Argentine Culture » Any acceptable short forms - BsAs and Baires? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

B Wooster
Username: Bwooster47

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

According to the Wikipedia entry, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Buenos_Aires, "The abbreviations Bs. As. and Baires are sometimes used, the first one mostly in writing and the second one in everyday speech."

I've not seen any confirmation, or denial of this. Would seeing BsAs in email or the word Baires in conversation be generally accepted and understood by locals? The full "Buenos Aires" can be a mouthfull! In New York City, locals may call the main island just the City, for example. Wondering about name short forms for BsAs...

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Most people never say Baires.

I do not know who wrote the article... It doesn't sound accurate. In speech people would refer to Buenos Aires as 'la capital' provided they live in the city and when speaking of Great Buenos Aires they will say 'la provincia' or the specific department like Avellanda or Quilmes or similar.

If traveling inland some portenios would prefer to say Buenos Aires if being asked where in Argentina they are from, instead of saying 'la capital'... Just to soften the blow. But this may be reading beween lines a little too deep.

Bs. As. is commonly found in writing and mostly everyone will understand Baires too. I have used and have seen being used BsAs or Bs As many times... Although improper gramatically (requires space between words and periods for abbreviation) it is common enough that its usage grants it some "informal" validity. I guess that is how words are born and everyday slang becomes at some point *official* language. Bs As would be common in informal, written communication. You would not see that in a newspaper.

My opinion only... of course.

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 156

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What I seem to hear most is La Capital Federal. That also seems to be how real estate is listed on www.argenprop.com.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration