Evita Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Argentine Culture » Evita « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gloria Dapolito
Username: Gloriajd

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am planning a vist to Argentina, so I am doing some research on the country and the culture. My main interest is to go to Evita's grave and place a rose. This planet, with all its people for all of the ages, there are not many woman who have accomplished what she did, and in such a short time. It doesn't matter to me how she did it, only that she did it. I love reading about Evita, I love watching the movie, I marvel at what she was able to achieve. For me, she is up there with Jacquline Kennedy, and Princess Di, so my question to this board is: Is it safe to go to Argentia and visit her grave. I know from my readings that although many loved her, many hated her, so whould it be safe. Thank you so much for any advise you may share with me. Gloria

ROSEMARY TAIT
Username: Romeytait

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You'll find far more evidence of love than hate of Evita in B's A's. You'll hear songs from the Broadway show every time there's any kind of concert and there is quite a lovely statue of her in one of the parks. Also there is a museum with many things you'll find interesting in a mansion that she had made into a home for unwed mothers early in her career. I understand that the neighbours were quite annoyed about this back in those days, as many things she did annoyed the upper classes. But nowadays you don't hear much criticism. Her grave, however, is not easy to find. When you go to the cemetery you'll need to look it up on a map just inside the entrance. It is one of the graves in her father's family group, quite near the bottom and without much elaboration.
But there are always tour groups looking at it so I'm sure you'll be able to find it.
Rosemary

ruggero
Username: Bart

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sure, she's on the recoleta's graveyard.

http://www.barts.com.ar/barts/citypics.php?pageNum_Recordset1=3&totalRows_Recordset1=85&location=recoleta

evitas

(Message edited by admin on January 07, 2008)

Adam Walker
Username: Adam_walker

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, I wouldnt be nervous about coming to Argentina - BA is like any big city, in some ways safer (in the more tourist barrios like Palermo, Recoleta, San Telmo etc - as they put police one every corner!)

I am British, so a lot of people said to me prior to my move "dont they hate you guys, after the Flaklands"... but I only get politeness and good conversation when people here, even though I openly say I am English!

But when it comes to Evita, there really isnt anything to worry about.

Definately see the museum! I learnt a lot about her there! A very impressive lady in my eyes too!

Yassine
Username: Chiko

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have been to see her grave many times, and would say not only is it safe, to me it seems like the main attraction of the cemetery. Also, in prety much every city I visited, from Ushuaia to Tucuman, have found either a school named after or a sculpture to honor her. So definitly no need to worry!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration