Tango Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Argentine Culture » Tango « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard cooperman
Username: Eroica38

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will be visiting BA for the first time during the first half of December. I will be staying in the Palermo area. I am very interested in hearing/seeing Tango music and dancing. What I seek are venues where Tango music is played in the old style, simple untouristic places. I also would like buy a few CDs of this music.

Can you recommend: places to go, artists (i have only heard Gardel) current/retired, and places to purchase these CDs.

Gayle
Username: Flaka

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Richard,

We just returned from a month in B.A. and purchased several CD's at El Ateneo on Juramento in the Belgrano area. They had an excellent selection. We were very impressed with the subway system in BA. Wish we had such a well run one here. We hope (fingers crossed) to return to BA again next year. We truly love the city.
Have a great time!!!!!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Richard, if you want the kind of experience locals get then you may want to explore the 'milongas' scene. There is some information on these threads for starters...

milongas 1
milongas 2
milongas 3
milongas 4
milongas 5

plus Gayle recommendations :-)

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 168

Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Take a look at this tearjerker video (okay great tango dancing brings tears to my eyes) from last night at the wine harvest fesival “Vendimia“ acto central in the foothills of the Andes in Mendoza – the crowd erupted in the loudest applause of the whole show. Thank you BA, its citizens, and its local and expta tango pasionistas for reviving Tango over the years and also pushing it back out to the provinces again….

If this link doesn’t work later, email me, I have live video also, and will be getting my hands on the professional hi-rez version of this soon

http://www.diariouno.net.ar/contenidos/2008/03/08/ noticia_0125.html

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow... thanks for the link.

I have never seen tango danced on water like this. Mercedes Sosa sang at the show! The new queen is so beautiful!! Did you get a chance to go?

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 169

Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah it caught everybody by surprise - the tango passion in the shallow water....and Mercedes the big suprise also - they are doing the show tonight and Monday night also - although now we know who the queen is...funny enough I was walking downtown a few weeks back and Ms. Tupungato just got out of a car, and I asked for a picture of her and I, which I got - what an omen!
Yes I did go to the show last night and had the best seats from a cenral point of view, but I was way too far up to see anything in detail with the naked eye - next year I will try hard for front and center if I go.

lynda wong
Username: Tango

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tango dancers....how much would a pair of tango shoes, comme il fauts cost in Argentina? What other brands is recommended?

Michelle Alison
Username: Michellealison

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, July 03, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I bought a pair of basic black tango shoes last week, good for beginners, and paid 170 pesos. I have recently been checking prices both here in Mar del Plata and Buenos Aires and I think the general price is around 250 pesos.

The peso today is 3.78 to US$ 1

Michelle

nellie Peck
Username: Skiracer

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello-

My husband and I will be visiting BA for the first time at the end of November. The way we have planned our trip, unfortunately, we will only be in BA monday, tuesday, wednesday and thursday nights- not during the weekends.
Can anyone recommend a really good tango venue to go to during the week?

Thanks a lot,
Nellie

Justin Reimanes
Username: Justofftheboat

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Contact Sebastian Airaldi at www.buenos-aires-experience.com he took me on the most fantastic tour recently.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration