Shopping in BA Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Argentine Culture » Shopping in BA « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sarah Humberd
Username: Sarahandalex

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I love shopping and plan to spend some money while in BA. Are most of the clothing and jewelry shops the same that you find in the states? Can you purchase nice, stylish clothes for less then you can here? Thanks!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> for less then you can here

Doubt it. Clothing is the one thing that has remained expensive, specially the nice, branded, stylish type. You can find cheaper apparel in neighborhoods like 'once' (number #11) or beyond the city limits but be ready to spend a *lot* of time to find something of quality. Perhaps the only thing that maybe cheaper than in the US is leather garment.

I only bought clothes down there in one of the earlier trips for 2001/2002 when prices really became a bargain. Besides, you still have to iron argentine t-shirts. Never did that with american (or chinese) ones.

Christopher Henson
Username: Sandiegochris

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Because of the import tax of 50% imposed by the Argentine government, imported goods (American, European, Japanese, etc) are decidely more expensive that at home.
The rule of thumb is if it is imported, it will be more expensive. For instance, a Louis Vuitton purse that costs U$ 500 in the USA, will cost U$ 750 here in Buenos Aires.
There are some good Argentine apparel brands, but you must really check the quality. Sometimes the construction is not up to par. I recommend the outlet shops on Cordoba Ave. starting at Scalabrini Ortiz and then follow the traffic for a 3-4 blocks. Good prices, just have to go there often.

Sarah Humberd
Username: Sarahandalex

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Christopher! Can you name for me any Argentine brands or shops I should check out? I LOVE having clothing and accesories that no one else has - so I'd rather buy something of good quality in Argentina then go there and buy a LV purse I could get here anyway.

Thanks for the insight!

Geoff Pearson
Username: Gpearson

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Sarah,

They have a semi-precious stone in Argentina. I've forgotten it's name but it's a pale green color & looks a bit like jade. They make some nice jewellery items from it which look quite unique. I bought my wife a gift bracelet from a jewellers shop on Florida & she was delighted with it.

You will also see some very nice leather stuff. There are a few good quality touristy type shops around the bottom end of Av. Florida that have a good range of unusual items ie. more than just the run-of-the-mill clothes & shoes. Everybody told me that they would be expensive but in fact, I thought that they were quite cheap. At least compared to what I have seen here in New Zealand or in N. America & Europe. My wife says around 50% cheaper & trust me... she is an expert shopper.

HTH

Geoff Pearson

Gayle
Username: Flaka

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Sarah,

I bought a really nice leather bag and wallets on Avenida Cabildo 2484 in Belgrano called Groppi. This avenue has some very reasonable shopping and some nice gallerias. Also bought pendant and earrings with the Argnetina national stone "Inca Rose" or Rhodocrosite a lovely pinkish color. Went to the flea market in Recoleta and also bought a similar stone and after seeing the quality in Fresno realized I did not get such good quality for the exact same price!!!

You must bring some Alfajores back home. made by Havanna....delicious!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sarah, you can try some of the designer/fashion boutiques in Las Canitas. Don't have names but if you just walk around a bit you can find them. Also, some in Palermo Hollywood.

Melisa
Username: Canadian83

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

you have to go Unicenter

W Piccione
Username: Mrspicci

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

In my experience leather is a good thing to buy, Murillo 666 in Villa Crespo has a huge selection. I am not a big fan of women's clothing, not great quality, especially jeans.
However, there are some innovative shops.
Good Luck!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration