Mate - good for your health? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Argentine Culture » Mate - good for your health? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam Walker
Username: Adam_walker

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi gang - as part of my new life, I have started drinking from the mate!...
it was quite bitter at first, but I have started t olike it with sugar/sweetner.

I am pretty addicted to caffeine and want to move away from it - talking to my portena´s dad, he drinks a otn of the stuff every day... can I do this? They say it is healthy, however they seem to think butter, pasta, mayonesa etc, is also fine for your health, while in the UK they are the devil!

Does anyone know if the stuf is ok for you - especially in great quantities?

Thanks

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 40

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wikipedia has a good article on mate at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate

It would appear to be similar to tea - good for you in moderate amounts but perhaps not so good in excess.

I hope this helps.

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

Robbie
Username: Ganavan

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Try going over to Uruguay and see them drink it like there is no tomorrow. I know a Uruguayan that is a cook in Scotland where I am and he had for a couple of years a job in a fish and chip shop. Although up market, it was at the end of the day a chippy. He is extremely healthy and I think the rubbish he consumed in the chippy was offset by his addiction to the green yerba.

Mark Ross
Username: Mark_ross

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don´t like sharing the "bombilla"... It´s disgusting!!

A cup of tea for me, thank you!!

Robbie
Username: Ganavan

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have had mate for perhaps 35 years and have never "suffered" bombilla sickness!

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 104

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here is another interesting article on mate. I do think Simon is correct. Anything in excess is probably questionable. If the reason you want to cut out caffeine is health, one of the most destructive foods is artificial sweeteners and the next most destructive is sugar. I wouldn't drink much of anything to which I added sugar/sweeteners.

http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/yer_02.htm

Adam Walker
Username: Adam_walker

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, all good points - sharing the straw (is this the bombilla) seemed very weird, but I didnt want to be rude and say no!

hmmmmm, thats an interesting point Arial. I have quite the sweet tooth, I can´t drink tea/coffee/mate without it! Maybe I need to just cut down n eerything... but where´s the fun!

Thanks for the articles, I am looking at them now...

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 105

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well of course you do, Adam (have a sweet tooth). Sugar is addictive. If you don't think so, just try to get along for a few days without it.

Yeah, I know. In a minute someone is going to yell at me and ask me what this has to do with Argentina!

Gloria Melgar Estevez
Username: Glorita

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think it is more then the mate....it is the time shared with friends and family....sometimes when drinking alone the mate is your friend and you do alot of reflecting during mate time. I love mate and drink it daily here in the USA. There is something about being at home or someone's house and saying , "ponga la paba?"...."should I put the kettle?"....the feeling aaaaaaahhhhhhh, it's time to talk , time to reflect, time to fix the world(lol).....as to the health benefits, I'm not sure....many do claim it is good however...but with everything...moderation.

luciano pereira
Username: Luciano

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

By the way you can also try "mate cocido" is yerba mate in tea bags you can prepare it like a tea (please 90º/95º not boiling water or you lost some taste).

For all i hear, read, etc. mate is as good as green tea

Dr. Jose Martin, director from Instituto de la Tecnología Nacional en Paraguay(http://www.intn.gov.py/) , wrote about matein and said even is very similar to caffeine presents molecular differences that don't bring all the bad effects that caffeine has

From Horacio Conesa, professor of Universidad de la Escuela Médica de Buenos Aires: "there is no medical evidence about any health problem related mate drinking even more people sensitive to caffeine can drink mate with any problems".

BIG AL
Username: Bigman

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 4:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like it with 'Sprite O' only because I cannot have sugar and don't like it plain.There is a cold one with juice...not in Argentina...But think About it'every corner ,around the downtown area will sell you a mate(real name of the cup) but to drink the real stuff you than have to go to the supermarket to buy yerba...lot of expats become born again with it in there hands and get upset,when everyone has not seen the light over kill......beer,wine,and Mate have it .your way or just try the hot coco....just go to the parks bout 3 in the afternoon maybe someone will offer you some....Big Al P.S. bring some home see if customs thinks it something else...

jamie schectman
Username: Soulskier

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My wife wrote a blog entry on the Mate culture here in Argentina. http://livinginpatagonia.com/?p=256

(Message edited by admin on September 23, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration