General Food Questions...Organics? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Argentine Culture » General Food Questions...Organics? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary Dawson
Username: Gary_d

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

With a large organic garden, my family makes an effort to grow many of our vegetables and when we buy, we make the effort and expense to purchase organically grown or as near to it that we can find. My question is...how is the food supply in Argentina regarding food production? That is, is is possible to locate hormone and antibiotic free beef? How about pesticide-free and non GMO produce? What is the general feeling about this type of food in Argentina.

Any feedback appreciated and Thanks in advance!
Gary

farmersbase
Username: Farmersbase

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

to gary dawson...

(Message edited by admin on March 26, 2007)

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 359

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Gary
From what I have seen Argentina does not have feed lots and is not big on hormone shots for their beef.
The Vegies are grown with as little herbicides, pesticides and chemical fertilizers as possible. Let's be realistic, you want to feed millions of people and have a marketable crop, some chemicals are inevitable.
One hint on hamburger meat, have the butcher gring some good old chuck for you, less debris in the meat that way.

Viva Los Vegas
Viva Argentina

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

@ farmerbase...

This is a warning. I don't understand your messages. Please refrain from asking for links and such. If you are trying to build backlinks to your site piggybacking on this forum it will not work. Since you registered for an account I assume you are interested in exchanging information or contributing. I invite you to do so.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gary, my take... Organics is vastly more developed in Chile than in Argentina. I know it first hand from my times of working for a fruit importer here in Miami. I investigated the issue in Argentina and there was little knowledge. Five years later, there could have been some progress and argentines are known to jump into international trends so there could be more to the argentine organic movement at present. But don't hold your breath as if there is anything, it will not be certified as in the US. Chile, instead, had US agents in location to issue the proper certification (for produce that was intended for the US market).

A few years ago I played with the idea of starting a small chain of organic groceries, just like the small stores Whole Foods opened in New Orleans and Austin when they got started in the early 90s but then dropped it altogether. I also dropped the idea of *transplanting* the "sustainable agriculture" movement -I spent over a week or so at Walden farm in Chattanooga, TN learning the intensive farming course- as I could not find any kind of support. But I tested the ideas in a limited basis so... My conclusion was that -in general- argentines are still not conscious about the pesticide problem. Too bad as manure and composting would be such an easy and inexpensive way of handling things down there.

Gary Dawson
Username: Gary_d

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the response Tom and Roberto. Roberto, this was just the information I was interested in hearing and I appreciate very much the opportunity to participate here.
Best to all,
Gary

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration