Argentine Beef Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Argentine Culture » Argentine Beef « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

cheryl slabozeski
Username: Tangodancer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is a butcher shop at EZE aiport. I would like to know if I can take back Argentian beef to the US or would it be better if I ship it?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Cheryl, I think the best will be to either call US customs or the Department of Agriculture and ask them. There are all sort of regulations to let in food into the US. And in the recent past, there were specific import restrictions for argentine beef due to hoof-and-mouth desease.

But perhaps small samples are allowed when properly documented.

robert lipmar
Username: Miami_bob

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

us dept of agriculture has banned all argentine beef produced north of bareloche. this is based upon of few cases of hoof and mouth disease from many, many years ago. EEC lifted their ban years ago. maybe having a president from texas has something to do with the continuing ban.

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 330

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robert, that is strange since Buenos Aires province is very far north of Bariloche and I know farmers who export beef to the US.
From what I have read the US is the second largest buyer of Argentine beef just behind Brazil.

robert lipmar
Username: Miami_bob

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

that is past history unless the us government has changed it's rules over the last few month. alfastosis is the technical name of the disease process that is the yankee excuse to ban imports. the real reason is likely the difference in cost. you could airfreight argentine beef to the usa and still undersell usa producers. there are some other problems: the size of the cows and argentine limits on exportation, except for the hilton quotas.

i am involved with importing latin american products. feel free to email me directly for more info.

Geoff Pearson
Username: Gpearson

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For what it's worth... & I guess this is a bit off topic, we have similar issues here in New Zealand with our beef exports to the USA so Argentina is not being singled out in that regard. On the disease front we are squeaky clean & there has fortunately never been an outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease. If it should ever happen, it would probably destroy our beef industry because our other major export market is the EU which is even more restrictive than the USA when it comes to agricultural imports. New Zealand too, is an efficient, low-cost producer & the reality is that it's all about protectionism.

Americans too, have a strong preference for grain-fed beef. Like Argentina, our beef is mostly grass-fed but I have to say, it doesn't come anywhere close to the quality of Argentine beef. My wife & I recently vacationed in BA & the beef we ate at restaurants in Palermo, Recoleta & Plaza Serrano is the best we have ever had bar none... including grain-fed steaks in the USA. In fact, the finest steak I have ever eaten was at Meridian 58 just off Plaza Serrano (try their Beef Medallions). We went back four times so it wasn't a one-ff experience. Wash it down with a bottle of Trapiche Malbec & you're in heaven!

Be that as it may, if beef is not grain-fed it is generally not regarded in North America as high-quality & will most often be used as hamburger meat rather than sold as prime restaurant material.

Geoff Pearson

Paul Bourque
Username: Itellya06

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

HI,

I just came throught the airport and once you pass security there is a stall there that is selling beef well packed etc. I am sure if you ask they will tell you about the regulations about taking it home with you.

Paul

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you, Paul.

Tom, I think Robert is correct. It used to always be cattle located below a certain latitud in Rio Negro that was affected but more recently cattle north of this area became infected too, including areas bordering Bolivia. By alfastosis, do you mean "fiebre aftosa"? I don't know the exact technical term but always heard about this one instead.

Here are some news about Argentina libre de fiebre aftosa since March 2007. For those who do not read spanish it says that the OIE declared Argentina to be free from foot and mouth disease

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 406

Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I love Argentine beef.
I will be there if plans hold up for October.
The football sesaon is in full swing in the US, college football as in the one with the one hundred yard field, first downs, forward passes.
I am doing some promotion for my alma matre.
I have put together a deal where I buy season tickets and then sell a package.
After all it is the heart of Florida's theem parks, can you say Disney, etc.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration