I opened a restaurant here in Buenos ... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Investment opportunities in Argentina » I opened a restaurant here in Buenos Aires. « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Ghidossi
Username: Chascomus

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just wanted to comment to anyone who's interested that I started a business here in B.A. 5 years ago and it is NOT an easy countyr to be self empoloyed. There are so many obstacles to overcome. I have since sold the restaurant, and recently made a website giving all my experience here in Argentina. If anyone is thinking of investing in Argentina, THINK twice....and read some of my articles on my web page!

(Message edited by admin on July 08, 2006)

Bob Frassinetti
Username: Frassinetti

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My name is Bob Frassinetti. I’m now in my early fifties and I have always been self employed except for a short period in my early 20’s………..as to success or failure, I think its always up to ones own work and sometimes to the economy around ones business, to say that in Argentina it’s a risky opportunity is to say that in the first case I didn’t come up with a good business plan. I think as any pioneers always have had to work hard for any success story……. And this leads to what I have done, as because I love art and antiques I’ve been developing several cultural oriented projects during the last 10 years. The first project I began to work on was a toy museum. I found myself finding in flea markets, fairs and old toy shops beautiful and rare toys made in Argentina about which there was no information available. I looked everywhere until I found out that I couldn’t find it ‘cause it didn’t exist. All the amazing Argentine made toys I collected were made during the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s, and unlike other countries in the world who worry about their history and cultural legacy, we –as a society- have let them in forget. So at the same time I collected vintage and antique toys I began to develop a research group who was in charge of finding all loose pieces available to complete the puzzle of the Argentinean toy industry’s history. The result has been so far not only encouraging but amazing, for besides of understanding the true nature of some of our most marvelous items, I’ve had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing many of the most outstanding Argentinean industrials. The Museum has grown ever since I blended the objects with the information about them. And it has become to be the first virtual museum on Argentinean toys in the country and in Latin America. The feedback we’ve received throughout these incredible years of hard and hearted work have gave us strength and passion to keep on developing what so far is has come to be a brilliant idea.
At the same time the Museum grew and I began to discover the richness in Argentina’s cultural and social history through means of one of its material productions: toys. A ticking question my toy oriented research unveiled was that every culture reflexes their vision of the world through their objects, and I found out that many American models that were been produced in Argentina were been adapted to the Latin American cultural public. So I began to wonder about how an immigrant built country’s objects would reflect this, and it has been quite a great surprise, the blend of the indigenous, colonial and immigrant cultures is superb down here and the objects these past generations have left us are outstanding. This is how Art Dealer, as a cultural and collectibles project began. My initial knowledge of art and antiques, and my experience with cultural research at the Museum were the foundation for Art Dealer to begin to grow. At the same time, as I kept on traveling through the bewitching scenarios of the beautiful Argentina I began to understand a bit more about that eclectic and gorgeous culture that intrigued me so much about the objects of our forefathers. Precious treasures, hidden under the everyday life’s chores.
To me this has been a discovering experience that has filled me with joy, and keeps on surprising me every day as a young child who begins to open up to the world’s marvels.
When Argentina, during the 2001 crisis, began to open up to travelers from all over the world, who were coming to discover this wonderful place, I thought I had to share my experience with those who cherished culture, traveling, and discovering as much as I did. I also thought that if I were to travel overseas I’d love to do it the way the saying says: When in Rome, you do what Romans do… and nothing better than a Roman to show you how.
To share my knowledge and discoveries, I design custom made tours, not only ‘cause I like to work on a personal basis, but because I deeply believe each of us is unique and has different interests and passions and mass produced standard culture leaves out –some times- very important things. And for Buenos Aires, as every other metropolis has something to offer to each and every one of us, likewise Argentina.
Ten years have gone by now since I’ve began to picture this broad cultural project, and each and every one of the days I’ve worked to develop my idea have been amazing, with its ups and downs, inputs and changes of direction. I’m very glad and grateful to be able to do what I love most and to be able to share it with others who, as myself find this lifetime experience unique and beautiful.

Bob Frassinetti, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Bob Frassinetti
Username: Frassinetti

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And as to eating out, Delights and pleasures of eating out in BA.

Argentina's culinary traditions can surely be traced throughout history back into two spots: the gaucho's asados and the Italian immigrant's passion for pastas. Of course there are tons of other cousine traditions of several regions in the world. But asados and pastas are the key to Argentinean's heart. How can we tell? Well, we just have to take a careful look on Argentina's eating habits.
Sunday lunch is a family meal, friendly meal, a special and important meal.
A day when we get together, relax and enjoy a good time. And there's no doubt about it, all Argentinean families are enjoying either a good home made pasta or a fantastic asado.
BA's restaurants on Sunday midday are packed with families enjoying a good time out. And when visiting BA -or any other city in the country- it's a must to experience this Sunday special meal.
A great and traditional restaurant to experience this Argentine "thing" is Chiquilin. Named after a famous tango song, Chiquilin de Bachin, this outstanding restaurant recreated faithfully the traditional tango atmosphere of a tavern, adapted to provide the customer with a fantastic service and food, but without loosing in the fanciness the keys to a homemade meal.
Located in the corner of Montevideo and Sarmiento, in the heart of downtown BA, Chiquilin opens its doors to the public every day -noon and evening.
Chiquilin is the place to try the famous Argentinean meat cut known as bife de chorizo- chorizo stake, which is an improved version of the entrecote, fries, salad, even both on the side with that extra flavor touch provided by the Argentinean sauce chimichurri -a combination of herbs and spices with olive or maize oil and a touch of vinegar, sort of a local barbecue sauce.
An other outstanding and trademark dish of Chiquilin are the homemade spaghetti pasta tuco-pesto, with both sauces, tomato and basil.
Side dishes as provoleta -grilled Provolone cheese with a touch of olive oil and oregano- and chorizo and morcilla sausages couple perfectly with these dishes.
Wow! Unsurpassed, fantastic comfort food in the heart of BA!
To accompany this delightful dishes nothing better than a Mendoza Malbec red wine. Mendoza is one of the richest and best suited regions in the country for wineries and vineyards and Malbec is Argentina's winegrape per excellance, brought in by Spanish winemen, it adapted fantastically to the Mendoza soils, to produce international quality wines.
To crown a fantastic meal, for dessert, the Argentinean Flan is a must, with a side of local delicacy treat dulce de leche and whipped cream...
No further words are to be found to describe such a feast to the senses and the palate.
Chiquilin home made food at a traditional tavern- bodegon like restaurant, a must when visiting BA.

Kirk Afshar
Username: Love_argentina

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like to open an esperesso Bar In Mar Del Plata
1-how much money I need for small place
2-how much would be a rent and equipment
3- can i make a living?
4-how much is a cost of living by renting an apt and buy furniture?.
please contact me ASAP

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration