Budget of 200,000 us dollars for real... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Investment opportunities in Argentina » Budget of 200,000 us dollars for real estate « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

lila shah
Username: Anoninnyc

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where should i be looking? Was thinking San Rafael in Mendoza. I want a lot of land so I can have a vinyard and orchard. Any thoughts or advice? Would prefer even cheaper somewhere around 100,000 dollars. 200,000 us dollars is the very top of my budget and it would have to be a very good deal. Thanks.

Robbie
Username: Ganavan

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Lila,
I could perhaps help. I have two fincas in San Rafael and are looking to sell one of them. Please let me know if this could be of interest. I am now in SR but will be travelling shortly to UK.
Cheers
Robbie

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 234

Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Lila,

Have you been to the province yet? How is your Spanish? Are you thinking all year or part year? Do you want to sell your crops into the marketplace? How much land are you really looking to tend to?

Cheers
Sean

Lila

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will be coming in June to check it out. I would be using it for just part of the year for now, then full year. Yes I would want to sell my crops. My Spanish is not very good but I can learn. I am looking for as much land as possible, even if it is not all planted. Of course this would just be for a scouting trip. I need to figure out the average cost per acre and of course before i buy i would hire the lawyer for due diligence and even someone to get soil samples and evaluate the land. I would like to know the exact locations to focus on. My time is limited and I would like to scout now and then maybe just one more trip while I buy. Also want to find out the cost of construction as that is included in my budget and is part of the 200k maximum. I would ideally like to be able to buy a beach home elsewhere and then this vineyard but not sure if feasible.

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 236

Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

For selling your crops, you will either have to rely on a local argentine to be the guy on the books, or yourself, in which case it would benefit you to have a residential visa to get the best bang for your buck on taxes, etc.

I specialize in upper Mendoza (Uco Valley north to Mendoza City) and raw land runs anywhere from 6k USD to 18k USD a hectare. Add vineyards for 9k usd and up, but I suggest alternate crops as vineyard biz is tricky and very competitive.
You really need at the minimum 10HA of vineyard, but more like 15 HA , to make it worth you while and money.

Add another 7 to 10% for money entry, closing costs and commissions if applicable.

Typically , land is cheaper in San Rafael than upper Mendoza.

One company I recommend in San Rafael is http://www.andeslandproperties.com run by Bennett Sugarman. His real estate agency comes with native English and a good history in San Rafael.

Construction costs for top quality is running in the area of 2700 pesos a square meter, plus or minus of course, depending on your details.

If you would like to explore Uco Valley (or nearby) opportunities, and wish to engage our services, which are fee based (by the hour + transport) with no commissions, please feel free to contact me. We will make sure your research time is best spent, in upper Mendoza.

Cheers
Sean

Lila

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the response Sean. As I am looking for more land I think that upper Mendoza is a bit pricey for me. I am very interested in an orchard of some sort while my husband would like a vineyard. I will have to see what makes the most sense. Construction costs are high and I would not want to risk trying to go cheap on that, so I will have to factor that in. Thank you so much for your information. Do you work in San Rafael as well? What other areas should I be looking at?

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 197

Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lila, if you do consider San Rafael, take into consideration the hail. It has been known to kill people according to the locals. I know that isn't a regular thing--but hailstorms are. I was there for a hail storm that you wouldn't believe unless you saw it for yourself.

Personally I like San Rafael. But this is a risk I would look at carefully if I were thinking of farming there.

Arial

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 237

Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Arial! - good points about the hail - it does happen more in SR than upper Mendoza but it does happen.

Lila,

No I only cover from San Carlos County in southern Uco Valley to Mendoza City...as far as south to north, and then the Internaltonal Border to the eatern edge of Mapiu as far as west to east.

If weather and remoteness is not an issue for you, then you always save money buying generally more east in the province, like General Alvear, Rivadavia, San Martin, etc...large fertile areas.

Upper Mendoza (Uco , Mendoza city, and surrounding counties, provide an oasis of great generally dry and calm weather. Once you go more east, it gets very humid and thunderstormy often...something about those Andes that act as a buffer ....

Lila

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yes, i am aware of the hail and netting needed and will definitely factor that into the equation. what about cafayete and chilecito? do you know anything about these locations in the andean northwest?

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 238

Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just know that we choose not to live there because it gets so hot and was somewhat remote. As far as agriculture, I do know enough about it up there.

Lila

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanks for everyone's great information. i will go and check this all out myself in june. just trying to figure out where i should actually check out right now. if anyone else has any info or good websites i should check out please let me know. thanks.

Arial
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 199

Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lila, I was in Cafayate recently. Had to leave before I was ready because I got word of a death in the family. I posted my experience elsewhere on this forum. Wish I knew how Roberto inserts links into his posts!!!

As "Apts" says, Cafayate is remote. There are about 10,000 people who live in and around the town and vineyards that go on for miles. And hours drive through winding mountain roads to any significant city.

They told me there is no hail there and of course you probably know the reputation of Cafayate grapes. Superb. The altitude and soil are such that they don't need pesticides so it is pretty much organic.

The town has a cute, very appealing and interesting central plaza, but off the plaza is mostly dirt roads and old adobe buildings. Looks a lot like pictures I have seen of old Mexican towns. But of course many streets have hospedajes and restaurants and nice buildings. The people are very sweet and likable and the moountains that surround the town are impressive. If it were not for the rivers that flow into the valley it would be desert. You would not have a lawn at your house unless you irrigated. Period. Otherwise you would have dirt. Which is what most yards have.

The prices of the land seem to be escalating seriously. I did notice that as you get a fair distance outside the town there is uncultivated land with new vineyards nearby. I don't know if there is a reason for that land to be vacant or if you could get a better buy out of town, depending on how far you are willing to be from town.

I may be able to find the business card of the real estate woman that showed me around. I usually keep them. Since I didn't get to investigate thoroughly, it would be good to verify my impression before you rule it out if it sounds good to you otherwise. Right now I think that Mendoza or SR would provide more bang for the buck, based on what I think you are looking for. Actually with all Mendoza offers I think Cafayate SHOULD be cheaper. Email me if you want me to see if I can find her card.

As I recall, I think Tom was recently in Cafayate. Tom, maybe you have information to add???

Arial

(Message edited by admin on April 27, 2008)

Lila

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Arial, thank you so much for your response. It sounds perfect to me but my husband will probably have a problem with it being so remote, would have to sell him on it so not sure if it is worth me going at all. I have read somewhere on the web that there was a problem with clean water in San Rafael and that there was some uranium plant or something like that but that Cafayate has plentiful unpolluted water. Is there any truth to this? So are the prices in Cafayate comparable to that of San Rafael? I thought that is was much cheaper but i don't see any listings for property on the web for Cafayate.

Arial
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 200

Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lila, I don't know about the water problem in SR but I am sure that it is pure in Cafayate. It is fed by four rivers that come from the mountains. Example of land prices, as I say I reported in detail elsewhere. This web site has a search capability on the upper right of the screen if you want to search for Cafayate.

Based on what I saw, prices in the Rafael/Mendoza area are much, much cheaper. But if you think you are interested, better to check. There was not much for sale when I was there. The real estate woman was only showing me land that had clear title or that she thought the titles could be cleared. However, someone on the forum wrote that most titles can be cleared. But I'm far from knowledgeable about that!

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 239

Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a hunch Cafayate is somewhat being marketed upper crusty and frankly if I was a one of these jet/helicopter rich guys that flies from home to home in different countries , I would for sure have a cool place up there too, but the good news is that there are many a cool cheaper places all along the Andes depending on your weather and Andes flavor and what seasons you want to live there. Mendoza province has the gammit in pricing on properties, what you see on the web doesn't even represent 50% of the market yet from what I can see.

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 240

Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes 80% of all title problems that are usally discovered in DD can be dealt with, the reason why owners don't mention them is because they simply take money they don't have or don't want to spend, to fix it, money from your deposit, so careful with this, make sure you have a rock solid escibano, and it will usually work.

Water - here along the Andes fundamentally we are tapping water fresh out of the high altiude alpine glaciers - that makes for some pretty cool asequias in the foothills:=>

We have always heard of potable water problems in every place we lived in the USA and Argentina,so we always drink bottled water, with only the chance we are getting non-contaiminated stuff probably lol.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration