Argentina Bolsa (Stock Market) Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Investment opportunities in Argentina » Argentina Bolsa (Stock Market) « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 136

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am trying to get my friends to sign on to the forum. A couple of them always want me to find out things for them. Does anyone know if gold stocks are traded on the Bolsa--stuff like Gold Corp, Agnico Eagle, Barrick Gold. He wants to know if you have certificates, can you open an account there and deposit them.

Okay, now he is elaborating--is there an equivalent of over-the-counter pink sheets like in the US so that foreign (Canadian traded) stocks can be deposited into your Argentina account if you are holding the stock certificates.

Well, I know you guys are fantastic. But if anyone knows the answer to this even I will be impressed!

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 133

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Arial,

I too find the Bolsa intruiging, but as ApartmentsBA pointed out, liuidity and volume is relatively low and perhaps there is more risk there also.

About 9 years ago I went to the building, which is very close to the original building which looks out over the Rio De La Plata where 80 years ago they would see boats on the horizon and then the traders would start buying and sellinbg commodities and stocks baed on the ship arrivals!

9 years ago it was all good for a forigner to open up an account (need that infamous CDI number), but I would be somewhat wary nd really do your DD on it.

Here are the components that make up the Merval:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cp?s=%5EMERV

good luck!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If noone else has an answer your friend can always contact the 'bolsa de comercio' here http://www.bcba.sba.com.ar/contacto.asp

Arial
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 139

Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto, my guess is that he needs to be pretty fluent in the language but I will pass it on.

Mendoza, very interesting history. Thanks for your input. I think the risk of the brokers is the reason for holding the certificates themselves. For example, if your stocks are held by a US brokerage, there are shenanigans going on about loaning stocks for shorting which is presenting a risk to stock holders because those shares are NOT in their accounts. But if you hold your certificate yourself, then those shares are in your power and not someone else's. I notice suggestions for this defensive idea popping up here and there in financial circles lately.

I notice someone on this forum saying certain things are not so likely in the US as elsewhere. I am not sure why we think that. It seems to me that if principles are accurate they will work the same everywhere. If the US follows the same practices as elsewhere, why would we not get the same results? Or are we a charmed nation that nothing bad can ever happen to no matter what we do? (Rhetorical question

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 138

Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Arial I still wonder if that is an urban ledgend that your shares can't be shorted if you ask for your certificates. Then there is the whole REG SHO issue, naked shorting, etc...what a complicated topic...

Arial
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 140

Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you hold the certificates you definitely own the stock. There is no doubt about that. I don't know if they can still be shorted illegally but you will not be the one to lose. I used to take possession of certificates as a new investor for no reason except that Schwab always asked and I said yes.

But when I went to sell stock that I held certificates for, I found out if you didn't have the certificate it is a real hassle. You really can't sell it without the certificate. If you lose it, there is a big process and the cost is terrific. So I stopped taking possession. Just let the broker take care of it. I have heard that it is only a problem on thinly traded stocks. But I don't know.

Are you a real estate broker in Mendoza? You sound very knowledgeable. It is possible I could end up over that way this trip. Not sure.

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 140

Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Arial, no I am not a real estate broker, but rather in addition to more common services we provide like Mendoza Mapping products, Translation services ,Property scouting, Price Negotiation, Property Inspections, Title Checks, Purchase assistance, and Zona Frontera assistance,

we also provide:

Lifestyle, Relocation and Retirement logistical and practical services , including residential visa proper process, Real Estate tours, Acquisition of CDI number and follow through for change of address at the appropiate time, Utilities and maintenance liaison for foreign property owners, Area / property historical asking price / white price, etc , Well and water rights studies, and Property living opinion reports.

Please send me a PM if you would like to explore any of these products or services and I look forward to meeting you– thanks and cheers, Sean

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sean, is your contact information the one at your website?

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 141

Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto, yes it is, and here it is also:

sean@wtmendoza.com
From inside Argentina:
Landline: 0261-524-4999
Cell: 0261-15-553-5735
From outside Argentina:
Landline: +54-261-524-4999
Cell: +54-9-261-553-5735

cheers

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration