How to buy a car ! Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Investment opportunities in Argentina » How to buy a car ! « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AnuncioArgentina.com
Username: Anuncioargentinacom

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will buy a car within shortly in B.A. Its a must to have a DNI when buying a car in Argentina. But then what, how does the process look like if buying a car from a private person? In terms of documents, insurance, yearly check-up etc?

thanks a lot in advance!

WTMendoza.com
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 48

Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Acutally many dealers will sell you a car with just a foreign passport if you advise them you will be handling and paying for the plate registration yourself, which is when for sure you will need at least a CDI number, which is an easy to get tax id number that puts you on the tax radar here, just like a DNI number will.

The most a dealer can and should request is that CDI number.

There is no law that says a dealer needs a DNI number from the buyer, so if any do, that is their own choice.

RE Insurance, the ticket is to do buiness with insurance companies that insure drivers and owners with foreign licenses.
When buying from a private person, just make sure you get title and pay to register your car, plates, etc. If needed, have a good local lawyer walk you through it for a few hours of his time.
Alert: People without DNI's cannot cross their vehicle into Chile without first paying nominal fee and and waiting up to 10 days for extra approval paperwork needed from the Arg govt.

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Also to add, you can get a gestor to help you with the registration process.

Also, if you do buy from a dealership be prepared for the possibility to have some hassles when trying to transfer such a large amount of money.
A friend of mine bought a car from the VW dealership in Pilar and had a horrible time getting the payment done. It did eventually get done but it added about a week to the deal.

as pp said you don't need to have a dni just a cdi to buy the car.

Laura
Ebook Moving to and Living in Buenos Aires, Argentina
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

Apartmentsba.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Saint

Post Number: 230

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

All this is good information. The dealer I bought from said I needed a DNI (which I had so it was no problem) but I know other Americans that bought without a DNI so definitely it can be done but you will find it just depends from dealership to dealership. The fact that "there are no laws" that prevent it is a bit of a moot point because if a dealer requires something then that is what matters not what the law may be. Things here in Argentina can be a bit messed up that way.

The point is important about insurance and making sure the insurance company will cover you if you only have a foreign driver's license, DNI, etc. Make sure to talk with them in detail. Insurance companies around the world are known for trying to weasel their way out of paying so be careful.

Dealing with dealerships here can be a pain. Especially if you buy an imported foreign car made overseas. I literally waited 3 months for my car and I almost just gave up but I stuck it out and it finally arrived earlier this year.

Of course driving in the city is entirely another topic.... drivers in Buenos Aires have to be the worst in the world!

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Haa haa Saint isn't it the truth about driving. My husband is from Europe and has driven in countries all over the world where they drive crazy including Africa and Greece notorious for bad driving but he says BA takes the cake. Lots of wannabe Juan Fangios out there, and actually women are even worse than the men. But what I love is the taxi drivers who give you a gesture for doing something and moments later do the exact same thing to you or someone else.

It was pure worry the day we brought my daughter home from our hospital in Palermo all the way to the suburbs...had to be the longest most worrisome drive in my life :-)

Laura
Ebook Moving to and Living in Buenos Aires, Argentina
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

Apartmentsba.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Saint

Post Number: 231

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Laura,

Definitely I wasn't kidding. Your husband is spot on. I've rented a car in MANY countries around the world and by far the drivers in Buenos Aires are the worst in the world. I doubt there is a place with worse drivers. That isn't an exaggeration. The thing is here it doesn't matter what lane you are in. You could be in a 3 lane road and be in the furthest lane on the left hand side and have some guy turning right at the next intersection from the furthest lane over.

One of the things I hate the most about Buenos Aires is they have no respect on the road for other drivers or especially for pedestrians. I'm not sure why they bother painting lines to divide the lanes for traffic because very few people stay in their lanes. Barely anyone uses their turn signals, at night many cars don't have their lights on when they drive.

It's one of the only cities around the world I have been in where cars actually speed up when a pedestrian is crossing the street ahead. Instead of slowing down they seem to speed up almost as if they want to hit you. Lights indicating "walk" aren't to be trusted as cars do NOT give pedestrians the right of way. This is one of the things I'd like to see changed the most here in Buenos Aires.

I'm used to the traffic and don't have problems as I'm used to it now but I still hope someday it changes here in the future.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration