Advise is welcome: trip to Buenos Ai... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Blog | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Testimonials » Advise is welcome: trip to Buenos Aires 11/19/06 « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

joseph riotta
Username: Joseph_r

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi:

I need some help. I will be visiting Buenos Aires next week and have some questions:
1) I will be traveling from the Capital Federal to other cities/towns within the Greater Buenos Aires (Haedo, Ramos Mejia, etc.)and back to Capital Federal the same day. What do you recommend for a mode of transportation?
2) I'd like to keep in touch with my family in the U.S.: Can you recommend what I should use for a) internet access and b) telephone?
3) Can I bring my Chase Visa card and use it there? How about American Express travelers' checks? Do you recommend something else?
4) I'd like to treat my hosts to a couple of nice dinners out. Can you recommend a some nice restaurants in the Centro? Can you give me an idea how much a nice dinner for 5 should cost in USD (approximately)
Thank you so much for all your help!

Beverly Adams
Username: Beverly

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Joseph,

I can give you my two cents worth on a couple questions. Your Visa is good to bring, but check and make sure you can use it overseas first. I have to call my credit card company when I'm going to use my credit card down here and they give me 30 days at a time. It's a fraud protection service that has been implemented. Is it a debit card, or regular credit card? Do you have a PIN number with the credit card to use at ATM machines for cash advances?

I've heard traveler's checks are a pain to use.

The internet is much much cheaper to use. Phone calls are expensive, but most internet cafes have computers and phones, so you can check prices. Internet cafes are very common.

Hope that helps and have a good trip.

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can chime in my two cents worth as well.

You definately want to notify your bank. In reality it depends on your bank as to how long they give you. Our Chase card is set for several months at a time here. You may still get here and find you have to call again, sometimes they don't register it in the system properly. Make sure you do the same for your debit card. O would suggest that for taking cash out over the credit card.
Also be careful because many smaller restaurants don't always take cc's, and you won't be able to use it to tip you'll need cash for that.

Lots of people go to Cabanas Las Lilas in Puerto Madero but there are many other very good restaurants - that is if you want to show off because it's pricy but it's a nice option. There are lots of good restaurants in Palermo Soho and Las Canitas as well.

Travel is trickier - you can rent a car, but unless you have someone copiloting it might be hairy. You can always get a remise which will give you a flat rate fee for whereever your going and will charge you a fee to wait. But it's not an easy question to answer.

Hope this helps a bit.

DO NOT bother with AMEX travelers checks. Bring some USD maybe 200 at most in smaller bills, and then take pesos out of hte banks here. You can pay in dollars for a remise or taxi to take you to capital when you get here, should cost you around 25.00 US and you'll need 18.00 US airport tax when you leave.

Do you use messenger at all? You can talk with Yahoo messenger computer to computer it just has to be a fast enough internet connection to carry the call. Otherwise calling cards are relatively inexpensive, but I would try to use messenger whether tallking or typing as much as possible.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 839
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Expanding on Beverly's

1) cabs
3) normally, not a problem
4) way too many."EL PALACIO" is a safe bet. Good, varied food and good prices. Laprida 1339 - ph: 4822-5300

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 276

Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will join the consensus
Visa is accepted most anywhere in Argentina. I do not notify my credit card bank but I go down so often that may be the reason I have no problems. Shop keepers prefer cash and you often can get a discount when you don't use a credit card.
Travelers checks are hard to cash and carry a fee when you can do it.

I have not had any problems using $20 dollar bills but 1's, 5's and 10's are not that popular. Expect to get change in pesos but some places do have small denomination dollars, especially on Florida and Lavalle streets. Forget using US coins.

Locutorios are everywhere. I have found it to be very inexpensive to call from them. Calling from your hotel room may require you to sell your children into slavery. Just kidding, but it can be very expensive.

Internet can be slow in most places except in metropolitn Buenos Aires locutorios.

taxis are very inexpensive, by the time you go to the trouble of renting a car, buying fuel, paying tolls, paying for the car rental fees and insurance you will save time and probably get where you are going safer and cheaper by using a radio taxi. Let the hotel people call you a taxi. If you do not speak Spanish the hoteliers will tell the driver where to take you.

My favorite restaurant is near George Newberry along the shore of Rio de la Plata is Aquellos Anos, Av. R. Obligado and La Pampa, Reservations 4784-8681, www.aquellosanios.com.ar. Great food at a reasonable price. A one kilo delicious steak in July of this year was 29 pesos. That's about 36 to 37 ounces of steak. they bring it out on a platter and you can carve off 4 eight ounce steaks with ease and feed four people a standard US restaurant steak for $2.50 US each. Now that is a good deal. The food is as good as anywhere you will find in Puerto Madero, Ricoletta, etc.
Dress is fairly casual for tourists even though the locals wear business clothes. I have worn shorts several times for lunch with no stares or problems but dinner should be at least dockers. Expect a momento gift when they find out your are a tourist. They love Americans I think personnaly not just because we are good tippers.

Good luck

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration