Best Place to Live in Argentina Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Lodging and Accomodations » Best Place to Live in Argentina « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

philip thomas
Username: Philleus

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear All

I moved to Argentina at the beginning of January with my wife and 1 year old son. We planned to stay in BA for up to 1 year but the heat soon changed that. We are now on a quest to find the best place to live in the country and i am appealing for advice from anyone with an opinion on the matter. Our requirements are as follows;

We want to live ina house not an apartment (this cold be a nice cabana/ chalet etc)
We want to be in the countryside or a small village/ town
we need a garden
We want to be in an area where the climate is nice all year round (though we will not be here in the summer so if the summers are very hot rest of the year nice, that is OK)
Interesting countryside with a bit of variation wold be prefereable - we are not so keen on the endless flat plains.
History and culture are of course always good.
we want to learn Spanish so a town/ city nearby with a course is essential (within a 50 km drive)
I would like to teach a bit of English or find other work so same as above.

At present we have been to the atlantic coast, puerto madryn, el bolson, Bariloche, North Nequen and are at present in Mendoza. Thus far Mendoza is in the lead with Bariloche in second (i am wary of the long winters but could be convinced) Heading north next; Tucuman, Salta?

Any suggestions, opinions, knowledge, passionate loves of particul˝ar places would be very welcome as would suggestions about particular houses to let or people who might have them.

I look forward to your responses.

Thank you in advance,

Philleus

peter jameson
Username: Pcj

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Phil...I am glad to see that you started this thread...my wife and I will be in the same situation at the end of the year...My wife is a native Argentine from the Trelew / Rawson / Puerto Madryn area. We were thinking about the Atlantic Coast and would appreciate any feedback with regard to why you wouldn't consider the area for putting down roots.

Thanks...Pete.

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 151

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Philleus,

We are one of the few foriegners that moved here not for the wines, but rather for the weather. We don't like humidity anymore after 5 years of being spoiled in San Diego so anywhere north and east is out. We don't like fairy consistent winds and rain so Patagonia is out.

The only weather complaint one could have about Mendoza is that it may be too dry - and that just doesn't work for some people. Otherwise, 300+ days of sunshine, 12 days average rain - yeah some chilly nights in Winter, but warms up nicely in the day. We just had the coldest winter in 50 years so the locals were freaking out - lol.

Mendoza is a pretty spreadout place -fun to explore! Don't forget Uco Valley - some of the best mountain views in all of Argentina cheers

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sean lives (I think) in a great place that is worth checking out carefully: Chacras de Coria. I just came back from Mendoza (will write an article with pictures soon) and spent a few hours driving around and had the feeling that Chacras has some of what you are looking for. I have never been to San Miguel de Allende in Mexico but I heard enough that this place reminded me of it, putting aside the differences in culture and idiosyncrasies.

I think you should add "Cordoba" to your list. It will score high in the departments weather, culture and spanish.

Sean, my apologies for not having planned my trip too well and not finding an ocassion for getting together even though I was the one who called (someday I will regret having said no to your generous vip party invitation).

(Message edited by admin on February 19, 2008)

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 152

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto welcome back - you are invited anytime just say the word...glad you survived the skinny streets of Chacras - isn't it funny?

Yes indeed Chacras , a cool village - land has gotten kind of expensive from some perspectives (including my perspecive) but there are are other area options around too.

I think the big difference between San Miguel de Allende and here is that the former is overrun with expats and you can get by with little or no Spanish.

Cordoba is our next "best place to live in Argentina" but again that's only if Mendoza didn't exisit, because we just don't like too many clouds, rain and humidity anymore on a regular basis. Not to mention we are drawn to the Andes and sun, and worship them like the Incas did, lol.

The "leafy" factor here in Mendoza is intriguing, with the well planned huge trees along the water canals found eveyrwhere, that the Incas actually started. It could not rain for 11 months (and sometimes it doesn't) and you would never know it with the water/canal distribution system they have here.

Here is the front and back of our house, and the snow-peak view outide our master bedroom deck - I always say that if you are coming all the way to Mendoza (or somewhere else along the Andes) to live, get that daily soul-enriching mountain view - cheers

front

back

view from bedroom deck

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well... I now completely regret having missed that asado on Saturday night at your gorgeous place, even though we did enjoy our dinner at Francis Mallman (a side note, the Escorihuela 2005 Syrah... a must drink!).

My childhood friend who moved to Mendoza 20 years ago -now living in seccion 5ta.- almost moved to Chacras a few a years ago and he specifically mentioned waking up in the mornings and seeing the snow-peak view of the Andes as the #1 reason. While there, we spent considerable time in Adalgiza as we promote them. Yes, narrow streets in the southern section and a little difficult on traffic with the buses/deliveries... It comes with the package, doesn't it?

I saw the acequias for the first time almost 30 years ago and they blew my mind. In this recent trip, I was told that the entire province has built the same acequias-system. The whole Mendoza is just a fabulous man-made oasis! We were also told that innovative french investors who bought fincas in higher land have developed drip-irrigation systems to secure their production. Innovative in the sense that locals have relied on the Andes for their water since first settlements and way before, as you mentioned (Incas).

Ok, I am going off on a tangent. Sorry.

philip thomas
Username: Philleus

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Many thanks for all your responses. We are leaving San Rafael in the morning - Chacras de Coria will make a perfect stopover as we have wanted to visit the area around mendoza and the city itself anyway. Any more thoughts on the North - around Salta dn Tucuman would be much appreciated. How hot are they really and how green?
To Peter: We arrived in Puerto Madryn about 10 days ago and to be honest i have never seen such a bleak Godforsaken place in my entire life and travels. We drove up and down the main drag thee times searching for a redeeming feature before exiting at high speed. There are no trees, the sea looks dark and cold, there are huge factories and tankers and the houses are badly constructed concrete things. Think Soviet Siberia. I┤m afraid to say that Trelew wasn┤t much better only that it was inland and a bit busier. Gaiman, the nearby Welsh settlemt is sweet though. A quiet pretty village with lots of trees and funny old tea houses. However i would imagine that living anywhere in that area would be challenging. Patagonia is a wilderness and still feels like a place of exile. Exhillarating to visit and experience the vast lonliness but im not sure i would want to live there. However, if you had an occupation you love which you could immerse yourself in, then it could work.
Bariloche - though touristy - i think would be more fun, as would the surrounding towns - San Martin etc. Let me know if you have any more questions and i will be happy to oblige

Michelle Alison
Username: Michellealison

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Hey Phil...I am glad to see that you started this thread...my wife and I will be in the same situation at the end of the year...My wife is a native Argentine from the Trelew / Rawson / Puerto Madryn area. We were thinking about the Atlantic Coast and would appreciate any feedback with regard to why you wouldn't consider the area for putting down roots.

Thanks...Pete."

Hi Pete, we are an English family who have been living in Mar del Plata for almost two years now. We love the city and although it is busy in January, it is only short term. If you want any information, please let me know.

Regards

Michelle

Robert Alexander
Username: Imaginearg

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would have to support the idea of Mendoza and Bariloche as your leading options. We are living in Mendoza now - beautiful weather, unbelievable scenery, and a wonderful expat community. Indeed, Chacras de Coria might very well be what you are looking for, though we are currently living in Godoy Cruz. As you stated, the winters of Bariloche might be too long, but the landscapes are superior.

As for Salta, just remember that you would be pulling yourself away from any major cities (Santiago, Buenos Aires). That, and the summers are absolutely horrendous (mostly during February). Just further south, and entering Tucuman, the humidity also picks up. I lived there for 24 months.

As for Roberto, I would love to meet you as well. Both Sean and I are close friends and it would be an honor to receive you here in Mendoza the next time around!

-RWA
http://imagineargentina.blogspot.com/

Roberto Barrandeguy
Username: Siberiaba

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Another vote for Cordoba as the place with the best weather in Argentina; you have the Calamuchita Valley corridor which is beautiful, semi-rural, and close enough to Cordoba city for your culture fix.
Sean/WTMendoza, you must have visited that province on a bad day, because Cordoba is the closest that I have experienced, weatherwise, to California. On that same note, I once spent a couple of days in Mendoza city in January, and it was horribly humid... Did I also hit Mendoza on a "bad day"?
Roberto

WTMendoza.com
Advanced Member

Post Number: 272

Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto,

Cordoba gets my vote as second bst, and in fact, Mendoza weather is not for those with certain allergies due to the dryness of being an oasis in the middle of the desert. Other than that, and except for a few weeks in January where Mendoza City heats up like a clay oven with artificial city humidity, Mendoza is 300 days of pur sunshinme, little or no humidity, and blessed by being at base of the stunning highest set of peaks of the Andes in all South America. Mendoza has been having a reputation of being the California of Argentina for almost 10 years now.

Cordoba weather is much like like the lower midwest of the USA - and it gets plenty of rain, (which I personally don't like) October to February. The city itself is much bigger, more poluted, and somehat grimy, but there are beautiful countrysides around Corodba with rolling hills. Cordoba would be my second choice for living in Argentina, and is also great for families in my opinion

Roberto Barrandeguy
Username: Siberiaba

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sean,
Thanks for your reply. For the record, Mendoza is my favorite city in Argentina, and the big trees and the acequias have a lot to do with it.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

RWA, thank you. It's a deal... on my next visit to Mendoza.

Roberto, Philip, Michelle and RWA welcome to the forum!

Leandro
Username: Leandro

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all

The next Chacras de Coria is Vistalba, particularly my opinion has better views, wineries around, big land, near the center of lujan de Cuyo city, and Vistalba there are more top-level buildings.
Agent real estate Leandro Suarez

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1731
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Daniel, normally self-promotion in the way you are doing it is reason for a ban. I guess one message is all that is needed. Members here receive an alert each time this is posted and 90% of the members have subscribed to all threads. So you just sent us plenty of the same. What we try to do here is to create a space with useful information avoiding as much as possible personal ads.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration