Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Argentina vs. Peru « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

duong tran
Username: Yellowcolumbus

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hi
didnt really know where to put this thread.. the thing is that my friend and i finish our semester in costa rica this december. before we head home we would like to celebrate christmas and new years in a country in south america. we are now down to either argentina/buenos aires and peru. the thing is that we cant really decide. we are 22 and 24 and just wanna have a nice time. it will be from the 20th of dec till 12th of jan. anyone who can help us a little?? maybe with some pros and cons??
thanx

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's very subjective.

This will depend on your preferences as both countries offer disimilar attractions. In Peru, you will have the chance to visit one of the most spectacular places on earth, Machu Pichu. Together with Cuzco and Aguas Calientes, these destinations may well make worth the trip. Having visited the area a while back, I can imagine that Christmas/New year in Cuzco may not only be magical but also great fun (good crowd partying). In Buenos Aires you will see more of a traditional cosmopolitan area... a big city with the good and the bad. You can still have fun, but if you do not know anyone you may feel a bit more lonely here than in Cuzco. The final choice will depend on what your expectations are.

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 108

Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Be careful in Peru. Argentina has its street hoods too but Peru is something else. We were there one week and we kicked off with an argument with a taxi driver who quoted us one ridiculous price, only to find ourselves in front of the hotel with him insisting that the price he quoted was for EACH! It was an obvious scam. Of course we paid him only what we agreed to.

Next we were given counterfeit money at a hotel. So when you get there, find out from someone how to tell counterfeit money. All the business owners know. We went all the way back from the next town to get our change in real money--even though it cost as much to go back as the hotel owed us. Sometimes it's the principle of the thing. At first the owner said we didn't get it there (we did!) but when the accusations got loud enough that all the guests could hear that he was passing off counterfeit money, he quietly gave us good bills for bad.

Then one of our group had his backpack stolen on the bus. The pack was overhead. One Peruvian man spilled water on the floor while an accomplice took the pack from overhead. Don't ask me how he did it with none of us seeing it. The owner of the pack is street-smart about Peru and knows to check your possessions if there is any kind of distraction. The pack was gone. He found it stashed by the exit door, ready to be carried off when the thieves got off the bus. If he had not been so street-wise, the pack and our plane tickets would have been gone at the next stop!

Although I will take Argentina any day, still I'm glad I saw Peru for myself--though I will never go back unless under protest! But one trip there to see Machu Pichu probably is worthwhile if you like things like that. As Roberto says, it depends on your preferences. Arial

Adam Williams
Username: Adjwilli

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Peru is nice but definitely a different style of trip from Argentina. Remember that Argentina has a European feel. If you're looking for an urban vacation, would like to stay at a colonial estate, or even just want to mountain climb and hike, Argentina is for you. If you want to visit the third-world and see impressive ancient ruin go to Peru. The cultural sites in Peru are way better - not that Argentina doesn't have some, they just aren't as impresionante. Also, it is true, Argentina is way safer and way more comfortable.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration