Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Frequent Flyer Miles « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom
Username: Tomatalki

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all,

I will be coming to BA in Nov for 2 months but the plan is to spend more like 6 to 8 months a year in AR. I have many frequent flyer miles that I can transfer to many different airlines. Does anyone have experience using miles to travel in AR or from BA to other Latin countries.

Thanks, Tom

Altagracia Herrera
Username: Marinah

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My husband and I traveled to AR twice in 4 months using frequent flyer miles. With Delta once, and USAIR partners United and Luftansa (stop in Sao Paulo). It's the way to go if your dates are flexible. Don't take no for an answer when they tell you there are no seats available (now on Delta you can see when there are seats available for the class you want. Both times I was able to get within the time I wanted but calling right after midnight when reservations drop and there are more seats available.
M.

Tom
Username: Tomatalki

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the good words. I have used my miles to get to AR several times. What I am wondering is can I use my miles to go from BA to other places both in and out of AR.

W Piccione
Username: Mrspicci

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello. In my experience, the two major air carriers for domestic flights within Argentina are Aerolineas Argentina and LAN Argentina. LAN Argentina is part of the One World Alliance which includes American, British Airways and others. I would think you could use any airline under the "one world alliance" for a LAN trip. I dont know about Aerolineas Argentina/Austral.
Good luck,
Wendy

rafalow
Username: Rafalow

Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Unfortunately, my husband and I have decided to not go to Argentina in the next few months. The airfares are just too expensive. For us it would be almost $3,000 just to get to Mendoza and return from Buenos Aires. Probably somewhat due to the weak USD, Argentina is no bargain even once you're there. We also just found out, quite by accident, that flying into Chile to connect to Mendoza costs an additional $100 p/p for international Chilean tax.

T C
Username: Tony_sin20

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rafalow. You don't have to spend 100 dollars per person if you are connecting to Argentina. If you have to exit the airport and go to Chile then you have to pay the 100 dollars. You don't pay if you are using Chile as a connection stop to Argentina. Make sure you make a right turn towards connecting flight section to ensure you don't go to the immigration checkpoint. Also if for any reason you miss your flight and you have to sleep over in Chile the airline is supposed to pay you that 100 dollar fee. I know because it happened to me.

Jos
Username: Jos

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have been to Mendoza twice and I am about to do it again. . .

You DO NOT, as pointed out by TC, have to pay the USD100.00 if you have a connecting flight to Argentina.

Have you tried LAN? Their fares are not too bad and depending on your layover in Chile, they even pay for a nice meal. . .

'nuff said.

Jos

Katherine Ward
Username: Kathi

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

To the person who claims that Argentina "is no bargain once you arrive there" - I could not disagree more! Our family of 4 visited Argentina, Chile and Uruguay just a few months ago, in June/July of 2007, and were happy to find bargains everywhere we travelled. And we have travelled all over the world, on every continent except to Antarctica. Since our visit to Argentina, I have encouraged others to do the same. It was actually our cheapest vacation in a long time, and we found friendly people, enchanting landscapes, and lots of things for tourists to enjoy.

MIchael Calero
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Katherine, I was just in Buenos Aires a month ago,stayed there 48 days and not only is the exchange rate wonderful for the dollar. I found bargins and saved over 10,000 dollars compared to the cost of the dental work (example: $67 for a root canal on a molar compared to 700-900 here in florida) if I would of had it done in Florida. So, checkout the airfares and find the least expense one, if you are going with mileage well , American airlines now is charging 60,000 miles but soon it will drop down to 40,000 miles , just look at the low peak time on their award chart on aa.com. I used my mileage and it was 40,000 miles up to December 1st. Their Spring and fall is when you will find the low peak times for mileage. If you are having dental work done, check out your dental insurance plan, mine covered using a Argentine dentist and was paid by my insurance 47.5% of what I spent. Not bad at all. Saving all the way around.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration