Culture in Mendoza Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Argentine Culture » Culture in Mendoza « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joselin Fernandes
Username: Jos

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

I am visiting a friend in Mendoza in June of 2007. I understand that is a very rural area. How rural is it? What will the temperature be like?

I am from the Caribbean and live in New York. Are there any tips anyone can provide as to words/phrases I should not use? I speak Spanish, but not "Argentine" Spanish.

The trip will cost me about $981 with two stops: Lima and Santiago. I can fly directly into Buenos Aires, but then I'd have to pay an additional $390 to travel to Mendoza. I really want to visit my friend!

Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

Robbie
Username: Ganavan

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi there.
If you are in Buenos Aires and want to go to Mendoza, don't take a plane, take a long distance bus. They travel all through the night and are comfortable and cheap. You will find the city of Mendoza is not exactly rural, except on its outskirts. June is winter and temperatures could hover around cero centigrade or just above. City centres are warmer though.

Gustavo Flores
Username: Xgustax

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, I am actually orginally from Mendoza and the city is not relaly Rural at all It is European in Style and as Robbie said the outskirts do tend to get Rural. If I were to compare Mendoza to a part of Europe it would have to be the South of France or South of Spain. We grow a lot of Wine in Mendoza for that reason. So Naturally, if you ever been to South of France, Palm trees can grow there, but it is no where near Tropical weather, like say the Carrbiean. So dont except Carrbiean weather nor tropical weather at all. The weather in Mendoza tends to be Warm summers and Cold winters (with snow).

Thanks hope it helps

Gustav

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 198

Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The word rural is the opposite of urban. It describes the country side that is not in the city or the suburbs of the city. Suburbs can be cities or towns also but are said to be suburbs of the larger city.

So, no city is rural.

The urban area is the city and its suburbs.

Suburbs are the high density living areas and businesses not inside the city limits or the corporate limits of the city, that area that is not controlled or governed by the city government.

Most of the land mass of the province of Mendoza and for that matter Buenos Aires province is rural.

I would venture that. with the exception of the Vatican City, every country in the world is for the most part rural.

I am trying to learn Spanish and am happy to give those who speak English as a second language some help.

Hasta la vista.

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 199

Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Robbie on the bus trip to Mendoza. Pick an executive class bus and I venture you will have a nice trip.

Joselin Fernandes

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robbie,

Thank you very much for your prompt response. How long is the bus trip? I figure it would be over ten hours. Because of work and family commitments, I can only travel for about a week and a half. How much in USD, would the executive bus cost?

Again, thanks!

Joselin Fernandes

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gustavo,

Where do you live now? I would like to get more information about Mendoza; local customs, etc. I live in New York and I would not want to offend my friend or anyone while I'm there. A lot can get lost in translation. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jos

Joselin Fernandes

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you Tom!

I actually mentioned rural because that is how my friend in Mendoza described it. I was merely trying to get other people's points of view with regard to the city, etc. Living in New York for over fifteen years now. . .trust me, I know the difference between rural and urban.

Again, just trying to educate myself as much as possible before my visit so that I know what to expect in terms of climate, the culture and the people.

My friend lives in La Consulta-San Carlos.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Cheers,
Jos

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 200

Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For sure Joselin

I was more looking to help Gustavo et al with the translation of our language.

Good luck with your travels

Joselin Fernandes

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks again, Tom.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jos

Robbie

Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jos,
No probs. The bus should be about 12 hours at least. I have taken it a couple of times, but cannot remember exactly. I will take the bus to San Rafael (south of Mendoza city) when I go in November, though. The cost of the bus should be about 120 pesos max I'd say. That is 40 US Dollars.
Now that you mention that your friend lives in La Consulta, San Carlos, I should say that this is far more "rural" than the city of Mendoza. San Carlos is some 40 km to the south of Mendoza city and is more of a town than a city, and -yes- it is also more "rural" if we can say such a thing.
I am sure you will like Mendoza province and city and all the area. People in the interior of Argentina are more friendly than the city people of BsAs. Having said that the portenios (city dwellers of Buenos Aires) are fairly friendly too, at least much more than your average american or european.
The food scene is pretty cosmopolitan, but heavily biased to beef. Wines are good and abundant. Mendoza is also a city of much art. Painting and sculpture mainly.

Bob Frassinetti
Username: Frassinetti

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ruta 40 where the story starts..........
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frassinetti/sets/1821657/

Mendoza is a very important province specially linked to natural beauty and wonderful wines. Right in the bottom of the Andes Mountains, this province and its capital city are also the starting point of the marvellous route 40.

At the intersection of San Martin and Garibaldi St we find the original beginning to the magical route. The fact that the beginning is in the geographical middle is owed to the National Roads Direction; they thought it was way to long, so they partitioned it in North and South sections.

The pretty and clean modern looking city of Mendoza (yes, it's named after the province)Highway 40 Ruta 40 Route 40

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 201

Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robbie
You can use the term anytime you like

I have two undergraduate degrees and a doctate.

But I am still learning everyday.

I think learning is a good thing.

Arogance is less charming. I tried to clarify the word "rural" for my friends who are Spanish speakers and speak English is a second language. Any time I use a Spanish word improperly or even misspell one I certainly appreciate being corrected.

If I offended you or anyone I apologize.

Robbie

Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you Tom for your clarifications. No lecturing was intended from me and I apologize if that was understood. Indeed, language and words are of great importance and the day any of us stops learning we might as well be dead.

I agree that arrogance is far from charming. I'd say it's irrelevant.

You have not offended me so please do not apologize. I respect your comments as those of anyone that is done in good faith.

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We'll Culture and people are European. I dont know realyl what to say about it thought its just European... Mendoza the city generally looks like a meduim sized European city not like Buenos Aires, but still European. I have no idea were Robbie got the terrible and may I say wrong generalization that people in Europe are less nice then in Argentina.... I am actually quiet insulted since we Argentines are Europeans...Anyways besides generalizations I If you have any more spefics. then please feel free to ask.

(Message edited by admin on September 30, 2006)

Riyad Anabtawi
Username: Riyada

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here is Mendoza section on my website:
http://www.ranabtawi.com/Mendoza.shtml
If you hover the mouse over mendoza link you should see other links: like the plazas, restaurants etc.
My opinion of the people of Mendoza: They are generally very nice, but are ultra conservative. This I realised after 6 years of living here and asking people and that is due to the fact that the Mendocinos are dwellers of the harsh arid mountains of the Andes.

Riyad

Jody Ruttenberg
Username: Jody

Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We're visiting Argentina in November and have been reading alot on the provinces and the history. There is alot to read on Germans who went to AR after WWII. Is anyone aware of any information or documented records of interest while travelling in AR

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes Jody, Many Germans after WWII came to Argentina and today they make up a big portion of the population. What kind of Information do you want exactally?

Joselin Fernandes

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bob,

Awesome pics!

Thanks for sharing them.

Cheers,
Jos

Joselin Fernandes

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Riyad,

Thanks for the link. Very informative and extremely helpful.

Cheers,
Jos

James Guglielmino
Username: Jgug1

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

<<i>>

Well, now....Americans are not Europeans? (I am interpretating your comment as referring to origin, since Argentineans are of course, *not* European, but South American.)But, perhaps, the poster you responded to intended to convey what experience had shown. I, myself, have Italian origans but in Greece a number of years ago, I found the Italians visiting not in the least friendly. The Brits, to the contrary, as well as the Aussies, were a blast. But, that is hardly a sample. In my wanderings, I have found all people, including New Yorkers, friendly.
JGug

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well of course I am talking about Orgin because Argentina is in South America but we have a strong link to Europe way more then the US thats for sure. I am of German decent myself and am VERY Proud of being German. Exactally, its hardly a sample at all, I have been to Germany and there the people are very nice. So its all just generalizations. Only problem with those pictures above it doesnt show the real Mendoza...

Robbie

Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gustavo,
Generalizations are always odious. On the other hand we all use them all the time. As long as we understand that we are just making comments that reflect our personal experience and are not meant to label every single person involved, that is ok. Argentina has a relatively short experience of mass tourism, and hence foreigners are -as a norm- very welcome. Much more so than other large cities of the west. I have been living in Europe for seventeen years now, and know what people are like here. Perhaps in Argentina people are more interested in what foreigners have to say than their counterparts in Europe or north America.

Perhaps it is for the reason you mention, Gustavo, that many Argentines are ultimately descendants of Europeans and welcome the opportunity of communicating with their "long lost cousins". Whatever the case, in making generalizations there is no moral judgment intended and neither should there be. What exists in reality are cultural and circumstantial differences apart from individual and personal ones, of course.

The more we experience the more our cultural and personal prejudices are -for good- eroded. Recent example: I was in Turkey just 10 days ago. With all the bashing of Muslims going on in the west, I have to say that people there were absolutely fantastic. Friendly, kind, helpful and went well out of their way to lend a hand. I even had encounters with some two charming Iranian couples on vacation there. One could say that that is a far cry from what the west are offering Muslim nations right now. Sadly we are all victims of evil propaganda that only has political, economic and marketing objectives that are cleverly coated with sweeteners, half truths and full blown lies.

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thats true I think in Argentina though people are Friendly towards American or European foriegns any one else is well they will treat just like Americans or Europeans... that is surpise. Yes well our Long lost cousins, parents or grandparents, are there living with us. Everything we do Argentina is European in almost all aspects and I am not the only one proud of it haha...=P. That is nice to hear about your trip to Turkey, very interesting.

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 202

Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A few numbers.
Every statistic on Argentina shows that 97% of the population is of European descent which appears to be higher than in many other South American countries. The largest percentage of the populaton is of Italian descent. The majority of Americans are of European descent also.

As to the German population. I was told an intersting story by a friend,a retired Argentine Air Force pilot, about the crew of the German warship Admiral Graf Spee which was scuttled in the waters off Monteviedo Uruguay during WWII. The crew went from Uruguay to Argentina which was at the time a neutral nation. They settled somewhere in the country and built a town that was so German in architecture that it became a popular tourist destination. With that the crew of the ship moved to another part of the country to get away from the toursit. I can't remember the name of the first town they built. Anyone know the name?

Many Germans moved to different countries in South America after the war. Many, from what I have been told, moved to Brazil and Chili.

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes you are right Tom Woodson. You are very knowleagable=)!

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 203

Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Gustavo, It was just a story I heard from a friend. Do you know the name of the tourist town they built and then moved out of?

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 204

Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Robbie, no offense and thanks for understaning
Hasta luego

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 743
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom/Gustavo... is that "La Cumbrecita" in Cordoba?

florencia
Username: Flopy26

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yes roberto,la cumbrecita,located in cordoba,beautiful place!

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Very Interesting thanks for telling me I was not sure of the town!

florencia
Username: Flopy26

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

tom:
yes,we are descending of Italians or spanish,some immigrated before the first world war and some during the second war.
like my grandmother she come before the first war,because in Italy the people was very poor.
then in Argentina the races mixed...

Thomas
Username: Peilab

Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have not posted to this group very often, however, I read each post with
great interest as Argentina is about to become my country. This particular
interest "Culture in Mendoza" has interested me greatly as next week I will
be flying to Mendoza to meet with my wife, Silvia, so as to close on the
sale of a house. She has lived all of her life in Buenos Aires and I myself
have spent most of my life in the Wisconsin/Minnesota area of the US. She is
of Spanish/Hungarian/Italian/French decent and I am of
Irish/German/Norwegian decent...yes we are both "European" living in
countries that have diverged into different cultures, but also with
similarities due to the ethnic back grounds. Recent world and country
histories have changed the character of both countries but at the same time
as individuals, my wife and I find ourselves extending the "olive branch" of
cultural understanding and love.
As Silvia is well traveled having been to much of Western and Eastern
Europe, the United States, and more, she has developed a great understanding
of cultural differences and similarities. Even in her travels in the US she
has found differences from one coast to the other. In the US her travels had
mostly been to New York City, WDC, Boston, Los Angeles, and Miami. After her
first visit in the Minneapolis and the Chicago area she stated that she was
able to witness the heart of the "Norte American" people, especially in New
Richmond Wisconsin where I live with a population of 8000, just 30 minutes
from St. Paul, Minnesota
This thread has provided wonderful photos from Bob Frassinetti and a very
descriptive explanation by Tom Woodson of rural and urban, suburbs and city.
You might guess that having lived by a community as small as mine is and as
close to a major urban area as St. Paul, I have experienced the best of both
worlds, large and small. Actually I live about 10 minutes from my community
on about 35 hectares. As the location of the house we are closing on is in
the Chacras de Coria area in Mendoza I will be experiencing a major shift in
community size that I am not used to, but the good fortions are that we also
own property in the Vellecitos/Potrerillos area that dwarfs what I have now
in Wisconsin.
All of this is relative as when Lucy first jumped from the tree in Africa
millions of years ago she took the first footsteps on land, diverging a
population that soon would be Homeo sapiens. Cultural styles do develop
between diverging populations and time, but with the wonders of our
technology we are closer than ever before as can be attested by my
relationship with Silvia. As I have been writing this I have been listening
to Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel's "El Condor Pasa, Roberto Carlos's
"Amigo", and 2002's "River Of Stars"...MI AMIGOS, IT IS ALL RELATIVE...Thomas

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 205

Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Thomas
Issue
You may be descendant from a monkey who jumped from a tree, but I am not. I see now there is more differences than just the accent of the people of Wisconson and the rest of the country. :-)

I am not smiling at you, I am smiling with you I certainly hope.

Thomas

Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom,
I am so delighted by your response as I sit here with a big smile on my
face. Having read your educational back ground I must share that mine is
that of a PhD in Geology, and "Lucy" has become a popular concept in human
evolution. I do appreciate your recognition that there were other divergent
evolutionary lines such as the sauropods..
In a previous life that ended in 1997 when I ended my career in "Land Use
Planning and Regional Development", I truly appreciate the definitions that
you have shared..
I am really looking forward to the paleo fields in western Patagonia where
there have been many recent finds...Mapusaurus roseae, largest of all
dinosaurs
I am part of the smiling with you....Thomas

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 206

Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have heard a lot of good things about Patagonia. Someday I plan to visit there.
I thought that after I retired from my pracitice I would have plenty of time to visit places I have never been but it seems I am busier now than ever.
When I do get down to Argentina which is 2 or 3 times a year I always wind up spending my time in Bs As province visiting friends and looking at investment opportunities. They abound. I am not complaining, the province is most excellent. Sometimes I have a problem with adjectives. After years of raving about Argentina my friends have become immune.

A story, the last time I was in Houston I was having dinner with a group of compatriots and well into the meal I said something about the country which drew an amazed response. We had been talking for over two hours and it was the first time I had mentioneed Buenos Aires. They are just jealous.

Anyway, I often think about traveling around the country by bus and visiting friends I have met here and on other blogs. The problem is the buses normally travel at night, so much for seeing the countryside, and I never seem to have the time.

Some day.

Robbie

Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom,
It is true that most buses leave Retiro terminal (Buenos Aires city)and travel during the night to their destinations, but once you are in the provinces you will see that additional buses you may take do not leave all at night and the frequency is possibly greater during the day time. I can assure you, you will tire of seeing the countryside.

Eric Baeder
Username: Doggieboy

Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom:

Enough of the small talk....lets cut to the chase here. Are you a Packer or Viking fan?

Eric
Hometown: LaCrosse

Joselin

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This forum has provided an abundance of information, for which I am very greatful for. I do, however, have one dilemma that I hope someone can help me sort out.

I can get a direct flight from NY to Buenos Aires. I cannot get a direct flight from NY to Mendoza. My friend lives in La Consulta-San Carlos, Mendoza. What is the best way to get there?

Since my time is limited, the bus will be my last option.

(1) Fly from NY to Buenos Aires, then fly from Buenos Aires to Mendoza. How do I then get to La Consulta-San Carlos?

(2) Fly from NY to Santiago, Chile. Fly from Santiago to Mendoza? Take a bus from Santiago to Mendoza? How do I then get to La Consulta-San Carlos?

(3)HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

The fares are rising fast.

Cheers,
Jos

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 207

Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When I was a kid and Vince Lambardi was coach at Green Bay I was a Packers fan.
When Daunte Culpepper was in Minnesota I was a Vikings fan.
Now that I have a son in law who is from Philly I am an Eagles Fan.
But my all time really favorite teams are
the St Louis Cardinals, pro Baseball,
UCF Golden Knights, college football,
and Kentucky Wildcats, college basketball.

As a kid I went to the Cardinals games, I am from Kentucky, and I am an alumni of UCF(the University of Central Florida), predictable in other words.

I now watch pro football only because I love the sport.

and you?

PS. I am a River Plate soccer fan :-)

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 208

Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jos
Fly NY to Bs As and then take the executivo bus from Buenos Aires to La Consulta-San Carlos and enjoy the ride. Thats what I would do. You will have to take a taxi from Ezeiza to Retiro for the bus ride in Bs As.

IF you fly from Bs As to Mendoza you will probably have to change planes and fly out of a different airport, George Newberry regional and then probably take a bus to La Consulta-San Carlos anyway.

Joselin

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gracias, Tom.

As much as I was trying not to take the bus, I suppose it's enevitable. How far in advance do I have to reserve the bus?

Just to clarify: I am flying to Buenos Aires then I am taking a taxi from Ezeiza (where is Ezeiza?). Where is Retiro? When I find Retiro I am taking a bus to Mendoza or directly into La Consulta-San Carlos?

How far off will the bus leave me from La Consulta-San Carlos? Once I arrive to La Consulta-San Carlos, will I be able to take a taxi easily to my friend's house? My friend lives in Barrio Manuel Lemos.

Apologies, I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I have never been there before and I am trying to cover all of my bases. I will be traveling alone.

Thanks for your patience.

Jos

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 209

Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jos, If you speak Spanish this should be fairly easy.

You will fly into Buenos Aires international airport, which is in the town of Ezeiza.

Most buses travel at night and the planes arrive in the morning. You will need a place to store your luggage. So when you get your luggage go to the exit and stop at one of the taxi booths, they speak English, and buy a ticket to a hotel, I recommend Hotel Monumental. There you can get a room for the day if you want to take a shower and rest or they will just let you leave your bags there and you can sight see. Tell them Tom Woodson sent you.
After leaving your bags at the hotel get the hotel desk clerk to call you a taxi to take you to Retiro the bus terminal. Find the bus you want and buy the ticket to where you are going. Do what you like for the rest of the day.
Not every bus goes to every town every day. You need to do some research on this to schedule your trip.
When you get to La Consulta-San Carlos get a taxi to your friends house.

That's how I would do it. I am not an expert on traveling in Argentina. Others may be of some help.

Good luck.

Joselin

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Tom!

Cheers,
Jos

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 747
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Joselin, in addition to TW's recommendations here are a few more tidbits. I just called La Consulta in San Carlos, Mendoza. La consulta is a very small place located about 60/65 miles away from Mendoza city. People in La Consulta told me that there are buses departing from the city to La consulta EVERY DAY and you should go to the Bus Station (terminal) and find which companies do this route. They also mentioned there are several buses a day so it should be a piece of cake to get there.

Follow TW advice on how to get to Mendoza.
> US > BA Ezeiza airport > Jorge Newbery airport (BA) > Mendoza

Joselin

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Many thanks, Roberto.

Everyone has been incredibly helpful and I will keep you posted. The fares are rising! I'm gonna have to book it quickly.

Cheers,
Jos

Ken Kerr
Username: Doctork

Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom
I will be in Buenos Aries during the NFL Superbowl. Where would you go to watch the game?
Ken

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think maybe your hotel may carry it other then that I dont know. Anyone else know?

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Your welcome Joselin

Thomas

Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have really enjoyed this forum over the past months that I have been a member. This group has been very informative, especially Tom and Roberto. It has helped for me to make the decision to move to the Mendoza area, leaving the security that I have known in the US, however, providing me a special new excitement and new opportunities.
I will be traveling to Mendoza on Sunday the 8th and returning on the 28. During that visit my wife, who has lived most of her life in Buenos Aires, and I will close on the purchase of a house, travel to Buenos Aires for Mothers day, and return to begin several projects we have on other property we currently own.
It will then be just before Christmas that my wife Silvia and I reunite in our new home in Mendoza, a new country for me.
Thanks again all and especially Tom and Roberto...yes Tom I am excited by the opportunities to visit Patagonia and the rest of this wonderful country. "Hunting with a camera" has been a life time passion and what a wonderful place to continue...Thomas}}

Joselin

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thomas,

I am very excited for you! I will be visiting Mendoza next June and I can't wait. Please share your adventures and of course, your pictures.

Congratulations to you and Silvia.

Cheers,
Jos

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 212

Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanks Thomas but I just like to share my experiences here and trust you will continue to do the same.
There were more than several people who told me they wished they were going with when I first decided to go to Argentina.
For all its history there seems to me to be an aura of innocence and wonder about the country.
I love it.

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 215

Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Ken

Good question on the Super Bowl,
From what I understand it is on regular tv down there, Fox Sports or one of the other channels.

There is a sports bar donw in Puerto Madero that should have it on TV. I am not that high on the food there but it does have tv's.

THe game is broascast all over the world. When the Super Bowl comes to town nobody parks at the stadium, the parking lot is full of sound trucks. It is watched by more people on tv than any other single sporting event. The half time show and the commercials are part of the big draw of course. Hard to forget the flop by Janet Jackson, Paul Macartney in Jacksonville and The Rolling Stones in Detroit.
Just one major show as you well know.

Maybe Roberto can help us with some other sports bars.

Thomas

Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Joselin....Your excitement for me is much the same that I share for you and your visit in June. I was in Mendoza last June for 2 weeks and I loved this time of year there as it was so fresh and clean..This is a city that is much different than Buenos Aires as the pace is much slower and time is only relavent to the date, I love it!.... I will be there in but a few days for a 3 week visit and then permanently just before Christmas...photos promissed.
Thomas

Thomas

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom
As I have stated in my previous post I really do hold your intuitive knowledge of this wonderful contry to the highest extream as I am sure it is your experiences and professional background that provides you such insight in answering questions asked.
Yes, with my decision to become a member of the Argentine community, I will share my experiences with others as I try to become the norm. I have been blessed with the privelage of sharing this time in life with a wonderful wife who has lived her whole life in Argentina..
Thomas

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 756
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thomas, best of luck in your coming Mendoza trip and with all your relocation plans...

Sports bars in BA?

mmhh... you guys got me on that one. We really don't have such thing, at least with that name. Many bars/pubs may have TV sets (even restaurants) so what you could do is just find a friendly one or one oriented towards turists that may want to change chanels to Fox Sports or such...

Email the big chains to find out:

Caesar
Claridge
Alvear Palace
Park Hyatt
Marriott Plaza

(Message edited by admin on October 05, 2006)

Joselin

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thomas,

I am counting down the days! I wish I could hop on a plane now and head over there.

I long for a relaxing trip at the right pace.

Jos

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

jeje nice to hear Joselin.

Max Kirsch
Username: Max

Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, I just have to say that this thread has been very entertaining-- I am laughing with all of you, I hope. With two phds and an MD, I find it hilarious that Lucy jumped off the tree and founded New York, so to speak. As for the rural/urban continuum, words are used as they are popularly conceived. The Pope might differ. I do love argentina, all of it.

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 222

Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Max

This is a very educational site :-).

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 761
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just a comment only...

We have a very diverse crowd here... people with very different educational and ethnic backgrounds and I am not counting lurkers.

TAKE ANY OPINION AS JUST THAT, AN OPINION. We are all entitled to have one (or many) and none are more important or truer than others. It may also be important to give others the benefit of the doubt first. Comments may unintentionally come across in manners not intended just because a forum is a medium that doesn't allow to communicate the subtleties of oral language. If some members have been helpful to you offering unbiased, factual information, that would be at the top of my list. And when in doubt about someone's intention it always pays to ask for a clarification...

Getting back to Joselin inquiry, I think we gathered some facts here but let us know if we haven't. Oh, in relation to words I just remembered someth'g... we use the word "coger" in a different manner than other spanish-speaking countries. The equivalent words in Argentina (there may be others too) could be 'agarrar' or 'tomar'. So if you are from a caribbean speaking spanish nation and use the word 'coger' on a regular basis, don't take offense if someone laughs down there.

And a welcome to Max, of course.

(Message edited by admin on October 08, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration