Expat Tax Planning -- Overseas business Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Investment opportunities in Argentina » Expat Tax Planning -- Overseas business « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zander
Username: Xanpatagon

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Expats,

Can anyone point me to good info or adviser on the US tax situation if I were to operate a business that was incorporated outside the USA (not Argentina).

I know I have to report any corporation I "control" to the IRS, and that it has to pay taxes to the US.

And that I can take a US tax exemption of $80,000 salary if I live outside the US.

I have questions like...

** Is the expat exemption valid if the salary comes from a foreign company I own?

** If my foreign corporation pays me a salary, does it have to pay Social Security Tax to the IRS?

** Do I personally have to pay Social Security Tax from income from a foreign corporation I own?

If someone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Someone with more specific knowledge may respond but while we wait, I am thinking that if you receive income -any income- from a foreign corporation whether you own it or not, THAT is a "taxable event" and all US tax laws apply aside from the expat exemption, therefore you may still have to pay social security tax. But this is just a guess.

Living in Patagonia
Intermediate Member
Username: Soulskier

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

These guys take good care of me.

http://taxmeless.com/

(Message edited by admin on August 09, 2009)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration