Tierra del Fuego and Antarctica Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Tierra del Fuego and Antarctica « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joseph
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is ist possible to go from TDF to Antarctia or close?

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Joseph and welcome!
Yes, it is possible to depart from Ushuaia and cruise to Antarctica. Not all year round so this need to be planned. For specifics please contact Erna at erna@travelsur.net. In the meantime, if I gather some concrete information I will drop it here.

Jennifer Castillo
Username: Travelfan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello, I plan to travel in July. Would you eliminate the most southern areas, given the time of year. Is Mendoza worth seeing in July, Bariloche? Will Bariloche be overcrowed because of skiing?

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Jennifer, I'd say for places like Ushuaia and Calafate days will be too short and excursions would depend on weather permitting issues. Bariloche is a great winter destination as long as you enjoy snow and skiing. It might get a little crowded by end of July/first of August because of school vacations but in general, Bariloche is a fairly big city, so... As for Mendoza, some excursions are high altitude so here it too you may experience very cold weather and snow. If you are comfortable with it, Mendoza is a great place to visit and July will just be fine.

Julio Sandoval Castillo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How much would it cost to travel from Buenos Aires to Bariloche and how much is it to rent some snowboards and go boarding or skiing

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Julio!
I will get to this (and your other inquiries) in the next few hours. Please check back.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Julio, a roundtrip ticket Bue - Bariloche - Bue is approx. USD $324 and a day of rental equipemt for skiing is about USD $18 (does not include any clothing). Prices include taxes.

Nita
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto
We are going to Argentina 2/5 to 2/18. We are hearing conflicting reports on weather. We are planning Iguazu Falls and Salta region and around Buenos Aires. We would appreciate your input.
Thank you in advance.
Nita

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Nita and welcome!
All three destinations will be hot. Average temperature for Iguazu during the month of Feb. is 80 F, but there are at least an average of 15 days when temperatures are above 90F. In addition, this place will be very humid. In Salta, temperatures are a bit lower as well as humidity. Rain is similar in both areas. Jan and Feb are the rainy month in Salta. Only 11 days average are above 78F in Salta. Many excursions here might involve altitude so you may experience and even cooler weather.

As for Buenos Aires, it will also be hot and humid but I doubt as much as Iguazu. Temperatures may hover around the 88/90F but some days may feel specially hot. What did the conflicting reports said?

Wing
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We plan to travel to El Chalten to hike in March. Is this a good time to travel there? Are there hotels in that region? Are there many day hike trails available? Can we do this by ourselves without travel agents?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi... I think this can be done on your own provided you do some homework. El Chalten is *very* small and therefore lacks infraestructure. Although high season is January/February, March is bound to be busy so if you plan to just arrive and find yourself at home you will be for a shock. There are at least 100+ rooms inventory available in dozens of cabins/hostels and small accomodations but during the busy season that may not be much. Bear in mind El Chalten is very isolated and to reach it you will need to drive approximately 220 km from the nearest place -El Calafate- to where you will arrive by plane. This drive is lengthy because the road is composed of pebbles. As you can see traveling by yourself will require planning.

There are trails available both for the beginner and the seasoned trekker. Trails may last 1 hour to 7 hours or more and they may involve different levels of difficulty. Most of them are easy and enjoyable. I think you can hike at least a dozen or so trails that have been well mapped.

You can do this by yourself and arrange accomodations in advance, but once there your first action should be to approach the information desk at Parque Nacional Los Glaciares to become acquainted with the rules and regulations for visiting the area. On site, there will be many guides and turist services as well.

wing
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto,
Thank you very much for your response. I understand there is a bus to El Chalten from El Calafate. What is the bus schedule and how much does it cost? Can we fly to El Calafate from Buenos Aires in the morning and take the bus to El Chalten in the afternoon? If El Chalten is too remote may be we will hike around El Calafate. How are the hiking trails in El Calafate? Are they close to town or far away? Is it safe to hike without guides? We like to hike different places how is the scenary between El Calafate and El Chalten? Is it very different or about the same?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wing, give me a few days please. I am on road as I write...

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Wing, here is some more information. There are buses every day from Calafate to El Chalten. Departing in the morning at around 8am and returning to Calafate at around 10pm (departing from El Chalten at 6pm). You should spend at least one night in Calafate in order to take the bus to El Chalten. The drive is approximately 4 hours (for 215 kms). El Chalten is not *too* remote at all, just small. If you reach Calafate it will be a shame not to make it to El Chalten. I would not know the price for the bus ticket. I would not know either how Calafate trekking compares to Chalten trekking. This can only be known if done. Here are a few links that have a ton of information:

Todo Calafate
EL Chalten

Wing
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, Thank you very much for the information. I can not find flight schedule to go from Buenos Aires to El Calafate. Can you help? We plan to arrive Buenos Aires on February 26 early in the morning. Is there a flight that day to go to El Calafate?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Will check on this tomorrow morning and publish the rates/schedules here.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Buenos Aires - Calafate roundtrip
February 26
USD $239 taxes included
Leaving 8.50 am from Ezeiza international.
Arriving 12.03 pm to Calafate.
Argentine Airlines.

Prices may vary at the time of booking. They also depend on availability. As of this morning, there were many seats available. If you are interested, you can always contact Erna at erna@travelsur.net

lulu
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Roberto,
I'm interested in traveling from Tierra del Fuego to Antartica for a short period of time in December. Any suggetions on scenic trip & destinations there & back?
Thank you.}}}

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 204
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lulu, I will post something about it on Monday, once I have a chance to talk to the Buenos Aires office...

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 205
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lulu, the guys at the office in Buenos Aires tell me there are no ships -that we know of- leaving for Antartida in December.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If I receive new information I will post it here.

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Test

Eunice Venables
Username: Ojosverde

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will be coming into Santiago Chile...spending some time there..would like to go to B.A. - any suggestions re airlines and prices (return)?
Will be in Nov.2006
Gracias....Euni

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 751
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Eunice, LAN chile has that flight (Santiago-Bue-Santiago) at usd $413 plus taxes.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration