India to Argentina Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » India to Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sumedh Patkar
Username: Sumedh

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all,

I'm 27, male, from Bombay backpacking within Argentina from mid-November to mid-February for 3 months. I was in Chile last year for a month, and it was absolutely beautiful. It is my dream to see all of South America one day. I always had a fascination for the continent because it is so far away, and very few people from India travel there.

I plan to travel within Argentina in absolute detail - I might also add a few days in Uruguay towards the end. I have divided my itinerary into 2 phases - north & south Argentina. I shall start in Buenos Aires, then take a loop in the north, covering Mendoza, San Juan, Cordoba, La Rioja, Santiago del Estero, Salta, S.Salvador de Jujuy, Corrientes, Puerto Iguazu & Posadas, and return to B.A. during Christmas/New Year!!! In the south, my main destinations include Bariloche, El Bolson, Esquel, Trevelin, Puerto Madryn, Perito Moreno, El Calafate & Ushuaia, and back to B.A.

I shall move around the country by bus, except from Ushuaia to B.A., where I'll fly. I have made a lot of effort into preparing this itinerary after reading about the places in books and forums. I am not to keen on beaches and ritzy crowded resorts. My aim is to really discover the heart of Argentina and experience it in a non-touristy fashion by meeting the people. I don't mind staying in one place for long periods of time either.

I needed your help in the following matters:
1) If you guys could let me know of some other interesting places to visit, apart from the ones I have listed.
2) I am also a little unaware of travelling by bus within Patagonia along the famed Route 40.
3) Information about crossing from Rio Gallegos to Ushuaia by land/boat without passing through Chile (because I don't have a visa for Chile this time).
4) How much does it cost to fly from Ushuaia to B.A. approximately, and how much in advance do I need to book the flight.

Sorry for the trouble - I have so many questions! Btw, his forum site is wonderful with great information. Keep up the good work :-))

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 799
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Sumedh!

Yes, there are a few spots missing that you may want to consider. Explore Tucuman -our smallest state- when traveling northwest. In Tucuman you can visit Tafi del Valle and Tafi viejo besides the city. Perito Moreno is short for Glacier Perito Moreno and is located within Calafate. In this location, you should also include El Chalten. Finally, in the surrounding areas of Bariloche you could add San Martin de los Andes and Junin de los Andes.

What are you concerns about traveling by bus? On each destination you will arrive at the bus terminal from where you can buy tickets to your next stop. This should be fairly easy and economical. There are many bus companies and schedules in most of the places you mentioned.

I am afraid you have no option but to go through Chile if you take any of the ferries. To avoid this, one option would be to fly Rio Gallegos - Ushuaia (usd $120 one way).

A one way Ushuaia - BA is usd $274 (all included).

Good luck on your trip!

(Message edited by admin on October 20, 2006)

Sumedh
Username: Sumedh

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hola Roberto,
Thanks for your quick reply!
My only concern about travelling by bus in Patagonia was whether connections are easily available between the places I have mentioned. You sorted that out.
About going from Rio Gallegos to Ushuaia by ferry, I can maybe check with the Chilean embassy in Buenos Aires whether I'll require a visa or not.
The flight from Ushuaia is a bit expensive (ouch!), but I think it'll be worth it.
Muchas gracias para su ayuda - Argentina....here I come :-)

kunal udawat
Username: Kunal

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi cud you let me know which airlines did u take for argentina from India:-)
TC and have fun

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration