How long of a wait after applying for... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Blog | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » How long of a wait after applying for citizenship? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Bogner
Username: Rbogner1281

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi -

I just applied for Argentine citizenship at my nearest consulate (Los Angeles). They told me it could take up to 1 year (!!!!) for my DNI and passport to arrive from Argentina.

Has anyone else gotten Argentine citizenship from their parent(s)?

How long did you wait to get your DNI/passport/other documents from Argentina after your application was completed? I am just hoping to hear some success stories from people who got their DNI/passport in less than 1 year.

Thanks for any information.

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My son applied for Argentine Citizenship from the New York Consulate last spring. It is possible that because he was a minor the processing time was shorter. My wife called the consulate and was told what documents to send. They are also outlined on the website for the consulate. My son's birth certificate had to have the apostile from Connecticut where we live. The other documents, marriage certificate, my US passport and my wife's Argentine birth certificate did not require anything special. Indeed initially we could send copies of those documents. We had to bring the originals of those documents to our appointment. About 2 months later we were called that it was ready and we made an appointment to go to New York for a few weeks later. We went to the consulate. All our documents were checked and an assistant consul came into the room. I had to read the Citizenship agreement and agree (in Spanish) My wife signed it. She is argentine and my son received argentine citizenship "by descent." That was it. They were very nice though it took a while for them to get the approvals and whatever internally after we arrived and they checked the documents...we waited maybe 2 hours. Then he was an Argentine citizen...and US citizen by birth. Then we went to lunch as they worked on the DNI. We came back 90 minutes later. Waited a few minutes and went through that process with pictures and thumb prints, etc. He was issued a green (foreign) DNI on the spot. His DNI is temporary as he is under 5. At 5 he has to renew it at the consulate again. So all told it took 3 months for citizenship and dni. We did not apply for a passport. We travel on his US passport which caused a problem getting him out of Argentina on our last trip. They had the DNI noted on his record so when we left they said...where is this Argentine minor's Argentine passport. He cannot leave without it. After a tense 2 hours it was agreed he could leave on his US passport as he never had residence in Argentina and his DNI lists a US address. Whew.....

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Interesting, I think that is probably a special case since he is very young.

I showed up at the consulate today with all my paperwork. I got fingerprinted and paid the DNI fee. I signed the citizenship agreement today as well. They took all the paperwork and told me they would mail it to Argentina and then they would call me and let me know when my DNI and passport were ready. They told me it could take up to 1 year to hear back from Argentina.

Anyone else get citizenship from their parent(s)? How long did it take you to get your DNI/passport from Argentina? I'm really hoping I don't have to wait 1 year...

It seems that for minors it is very different than for older people, like myself.

Bill Howard

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am guessing the consulates themselves are allowed to issue the DNI and Passport only in the case of minors. If we had opted for a passport it would be good to enter Argentina only once. Once there we would need to apply for one there (typically two weeks) at the local Police Department. So the passport my son would get would be good for one entrance only. We are inclined after our last experience to have him enter on his US Passport, pay the fee, and ignore the DNI. We will also bring certified copies of his birth certificate and our marriage certificate. They asked us for those at the airport. I had made photocopies but that wasn't good enough.

I would love to tell you that the Argentine government under promises and over delivers but that is generally not the case. Since you are now an Argentine citizen I would think it is just a question of routine paper work for the DNI and Passport. I assume you had to pay the fee up front which, of course, removes the incentive for speedy service. If you are traveling to Argentina in the next few months you would have to enter on your US passport and pay the fee but perhaps you could expedite the process if you appeared in person. Of course tracking down where your paperwork in the process may be impossible.

Good luck. Think positive. Miracles do happen. Is there a way the consulate can check on the progress of the applications? I think it has to be done in sequence..DNI then Passport. I know they have an online immigration and citizenship system. They were keying stuff in for my son but I am not sure it would provide you with a status. Again..good luck. I wonder if you had opted for a DNI only if they could issue that in LA? Then ask for a temp passport ...I know they have them because my wife inquired. Her Argentine passport expired. We will renew it next summer on our next trip. That might have moved things along. I know my wife can update her DNI at the consulate...and they had the book and everything for my son. So who knows. Maybe you should call the New York Consulate and inquire as if it was your first time. Might get a better answer.

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

just to let anyone following this thread know, it is now 6 months later after submitting my paperwork at the consulate in LA and I am still waiting.

I sent an email and was told I need to keep waiting.

I really have the feeling that the people I've been interacting with at the consulate really have no idea what is going on or what they are doing.

I'm basically expecting to email them in a few months with questions about my status and having them reply "Oh, we forgot to have you send over .... "

Sigh.

Living in Patagonia
Intermediate Member
Username: Soulskier

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We worked on our residency over 6 years before leaving the country. We never received permanent.

Arial
Advanced Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 361
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am also preparing to apply for citizenship (but not on the same grounds as you). A chilena friend who obtained citizenship here based on the fact she lived here all her life tells me they now have it down to about a year. If that helps . . . Don't know why Soulskier didn't get permanent in 6 years. I am a permanent resident here. It took four years (the legal wait time is three years). It would have happened after 3 years for me but due to illness and death in my family outside the country, and my need to be away, they told me I would have to be in the country more--so the fourth year I made sure I was not outside the country more than 30 days. Permanent came through with no problem.

Robert Gisborn
Intermediate Member
Username: Bgisborn

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There must be Argentine lawyers who specialize in guiding you through the process. There is their fee of course but it's only a fraction of the Argentine taxes you'll be paying in the coming years after you achieved your goal.

Arial
Advanced Member

Post Number: 362
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 5:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm sure there are lawyers to do it. Because of my language challenge, I have had a lawyer every year for my residency renewals and the cost is roughly $1,000 every year. Not cheap! But they handled everything and I had no worries aside from the bill. When I apply for citizenship, I intend to be able to do it myself. If you don't speak the language, you are pretty much lost on legal stuff. Trust me. I had to take a translator even to the Argentina Consulate in Miami. They didn't even speak English there! But then we need to learn the language anyway.

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm inheriting citizenship from my mother; not applying. I live in the USA and have never been to Argentina. For people like me, there is no residency requirement at all.

Robert: I'm definitely not paying taxes to Argentina because I don't live there.

I'm now a few days away from my 9 month anniversary of waiting. I plan on updating this every few months until I actually get my DNI and Passport.

Pretty surprising how long this simple process takes, but it is all totally in line with everything my mother has said about Argentina and hence why she lives in the US now.

David Cummings
Username: Tierraman

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have lived in Argentina for 7 years - had my residencia for two years and they changed the rules and it was taken away and I have spent the last few years trying to get it back . Its a problem in that I cant drive my car outside of Argentina without a DNI nor can I open a bank account nor can I put a telephone in my name - its irksome since I own and run a business here i.e. Estancia La Margarita (www.estancialamargarita.com).
In immigration there is a sign that says "Its simple to get your residency just follow the rules and you wont need anyone to help you " he he good joke - thank goodness the weather is good and the empanadas very tasty and really no one forces me to live here but I never found anyone who can help with a DNI - umm la vida eh! yep living in Patagonia I understand what you say

Sean Maddox
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 485

Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi David,

With all due respect, after seven years, you should know that it is indeed possible to get a bank account without a DNI number!

It is true that often times uninformed bank employees give the wrong info, and that is a problem.

I do troubleshooting for this kind of thing if you need help. I'm not free but I'm not outrageous either.

And yeah it's pretty sad that there's an industry of "troubleshooting" here because of many uninformed or lazy employees, or employees with inappropriate attitudes.

Cheers!

David Cummings

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry Sean you are maybe right since I opened a a bank account years ago when I got my DNI so I don't need one - but I was told by others here that they couldn't get one so I mentioned it - quite right to pick me up on it if its not true I should have checked my facts - get in touch with me if you do this work since I may be able to recommend you to ex pats here. What is true is the mis- information that bank staff give probably due to lack of training and not having experience in dealing with foreigners who knows

Robert Gisborn
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

David, you run a beautiful Estancia. If i ever visit it I'd be interested in off season long term stay. Do you make such arrangements?
As far as your citizenship etc. is concerned.. It's probably this way. Civil servents are not that well paid in Argentina and they have kids and pets. None taxable compensation would be welcome and in return they would help you with the process. Checks and receipts cause stress on the system which seems to work better with American dollars or Euros. I know that after living in Argentina 7 years you would tell me you never heard of such a thing-especially in Patagonia where everyone ridgedly follows regulations.

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

As I write this message, it is just over 1 year since I have submit my paperwork to gain Argentine citizenship by descent.

I have had essentially zero updates or contact from the LA Argentine consulate. I called a few months ago to check on the status and was told to keep waiting.

Would be great to get this done by January, but I don't think I'll get that lucky. Would also be nice to get some sort of status update to find out that my paperwork arrived in Argentina and was being processed.

Sigh.

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2012 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

I am now 1 year and 5 months out from appearing at the Los Angeles Argentine consulate.

I was originally told it would take up to a year. I followed up when I was 7 months in, and was told to keep waiting.

I sent an email earlier this morning asking for an update, but probably won't hear back until next week and the response will be "keep waiting."

You would think that there would be an actual way to get a vague status update of some sort, but I guess Argentina hasn't evolved to that level of sophistication yet.

Sigh.

Arial
Advanced Member

Post Number: 364
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Richard, thank you for updating us. I am kind of watching to see what happens with you. My two grown children are hoping to have residency when I get my citizenship status, based on that status, plus I am waiting myself for citizenship. My attorney thinks it is a shoe in because I have permanent status and live here. But who knows. I do wonder if it's because you are not living in the country though. But anyway, I'm interested to please keep letting us know, okay?

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Arial:

I will keep updating, don't worry. I may not update for a while if I don't hear anything back, but once this all gets resolved I'll update this thread with a summary post of what exactly happened, how long everything took, and the details of my situation.

I am inheriting citizenship from my mother who is a citizen of Argentina, so there is no residency requirement, but I suspect that by not living there it adds a lot of processing time.

It is pretty amazing how long this has taken with no information or feedback whatsoever about how far along the process is.

What a totally broken country.

Arial
Advanced Member

Post Number: 365
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I wouldn't say it is totally broken, but certainly it is badly bruised. One thing, as I have posted elsewhere, I have a friend who works for the government who tells me that they are worried about all the immigrants coming in,that it's going to change the culture, they're buying up the land, etc. These countries will change horses without any concern about what people have already sacrificed or paid out to get residency or citizenship. I don't think they ever heard of a "grandfather clause" here. One of my family members has now qualified in two different countries over the past six years, only to have them change the rules about the time he qualified. So for anyone who has plans to do this, I'd say the sooner the better. I just talked a friend into going through the process. He has lived here eight years and felt like he would always have that option. I say not necessarily so.

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi -

An interesting update for all those following my story.

I am approaching my 21 month anniversary of waiting for my DNI and Passport. I have emailed the woman I am "working with" at the consulate in LA numerous times and receive _no responses_ from her.

Last time I spoke with her (months ago) she told me to stop asking and just continue waiting.

My two younger brothers (both in their 20s) went through the same process as me about 11 months ago and today received notice that their DNIs are ready.

I have been waiting almost 2 years and still nothing and they have received theirs after just 11 months.

I am upset and completely speechless.

Sean Maddox

Post Number: 488

Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Richard, did you brothers also apply for citizenship? did they receive it with their DNI's? Were they foreigner DNI's or regular DNI's they got?

I would not be too upset by the delay, unless it is impacting you elsewhere.

No doubt you have the id number of the transaction? (numero de tramite)

If so, do you have someone in BA how could check status on site for you?

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sean,

Yes they applied for citizenship and they received it with regular DNIs. None of us have ever set foot in Argentina.

I do have a receipt with a number that was given to me when I applied at the consulate.

I have family I can ask to find out in BA, but I am currently yelling at people on the phone and sending emails to the people in LA.

Bill Howard

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I mentioned the story to my wife (Argentine) and she said that is so typical of Argentina bureaucracy. It is the luck of the draw. Nothing is ever done the same way twice, things get lost or misplaced, and all you get is a shrug as if they were a disinterested third party. I wish you luck. You are a patient man. Have your brothers buy a lottery ticket for you. They seem to be lucky.

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2012 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

So after yelling at some people on the phone and getting an email address of some one else at the consulate to contact, they claim they checked the status of my DNI application and that I need to wait:

"at least 6 more months"

which will put me at about 27 months of waiting for a DNI, possibly _longer_ if their estimate is incorrect, which I'm sure it will be.

They also complained to me about being understaffed. I get that they are understaffed, but really how hard could this _possibly_ be if my brothers got through the entire process in only 11 months? I'm looking at more than 2x their wait time.

I think it just depends on who you are dealing with. The woman at the consulate in NY that my brothers deal with is much nicer than the people I've dealt with in LA. The woman in NY actually returns phone calls and emails and genuinely wants to help people. Just my luck I guess.

Another point of information: the NY consulate told my brothers that the passport system is switching over to completely digital in 1-2 months. Once that happens, the wait time to get a passport will be approximately 1 month.

So, after about 13-14 months from starting my brothers will have both DNI and passport.

Anyway, I'll continue to update this thread with new information as I get it to help other people who are thinking of going through this process.

See you all in a couple months.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I get that they are understaffed"

Maybe not.

Don't yell at them. This doesn't work in Argentina while it may be effective *sometimes* in the US. In Argentina, instead, people on the receiving side might actually enjoy making it harder for you. The way I would approach this -as an argentine- is by submission. I would go in person and appeal to the agent's emotions and seek to build a connection that may guarantee that such person will actively look into my case. Even if it feels humiliating. In Argentina what works are "personal favors". Find the right person and explain him/her your problem and ask for help. Really, really ask for help. If there is a click, someone will try -at least- to do some extra effort. You always have to try to nurture this side. Just my criollo insight.

Sean Maddox

Post Number: 489

Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I hate to admit it, but everything Roberto says is generally true, from my point of view. I have had to play the "emotion" card several times and it works like magic. I had to overcome the humiliating feeling early on, but at the same time maintain an air of confidence and concern in each and every situation. One big contributing factor on this, I believe, is job protection, especially in the government. It's hard to lose your job..BUT having said that... things are slowly changing, albeit at a snails pace. Younger generations are overall strikingly different in Argentina these days, probably most likely because of the access and comparison to immediate information in the world, unlike "the old days" what do you think Roberto?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2074
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sean, you are exactly right.

In the US employees, workers, etc. respond because "the customer is always right". Should they not follow this precept they risk being fired. So getting angry or upset -as a customer- is threatening to them. But since in Argentina nobody gets fired this risk doesn't exist. Thus, a lot of bad behavior is tolerated and getting what one wants requires a different strategy. As for new generations I have no clue... I have been away for far too long. One thing I did notice in my last trip was a marked turned to the left by everyone. Even by my childhood friends. If I ever go back I think I will feel pretty lonely.

Sean Maddox

Post Number: 490

Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

when you say "marked turn to the left", can you elaborate?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2076
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

May take too long and possibly the characteristics, shape and form of what is considered "left" in Argentina is not the same as what may be thought of as left in the US. Definitely, not socialism. More like a Chavez-type of State where citizen's rights are overrun and where the core of politics centers around aggressive redistribution, nationalizations and confiscation. All in an attempt to control money flows (cajas) that could help gain influence over certain sectors in an attempt to perpetuate power. Masked by what it looks like a democracy... but only in paper.

http://edant.clarin.com/suplementos/zona/2004/06/1 3/z-03501.htm
http://www.lv3.com.ar/contenido/2012/08/17/101832. asp
http://www.futuro-digital.com.ar/provincial-mainme nu-53/42-provincial/16195-se-odian-pero-se-necesit an.html

"Hoy el círculo íntimo está encabezado por Carlos Zanini, marxista de los pesados, no por valentía personal, sino porque ideológicamente se atrevía a criticar a Mao Tse Tung porque le parecía blando en algunas actitudes que tomaba cuando ejercía su dictadura en China. Ambos -Cristina y Zanini- sienten un odio profundo por Moyano."

Decades ago, the left fought the totalitarism of the Juntas. Today, they (and anyone who wasn't/isn't left) silently accept it along the guiding hand of K. Even think it is ok.

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Seems like this thread is somehow taking a turn from waiting for citizenship to politics.

Regardless of whether or not yelling at people solves the problem I think we can all agree that:

- I was told originally "up to 1 year"
- It is now just 2 months away from 2 years
- There have been no updates or information communicated back to me
- My emails and phone calls go unanswered unless I call/email 10-15 times in a week.

are absolutely and completely ridiculous, full stop.

Anyways, I still haven't heard anything. My brothers have both applied for their passports with their newly issued DNIs and I suspect they will get their passports _before_ I hear anything back about my DNI.

Carmen
Username: Carmen

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mr. Richard Bogner,

I completely understand how you feel. Horrible. No doubt.

I am Argentine and have personally persued an Italian document in January 8th 1991 at the time I was living in NY that have finally obtained in October 9th 2008 while living in Buenos Aires.

Definitely yelling at people involved in doing or following up your papers in Argentina is a very unfortunate way for you.

Also calling/e-mailing 10 to 15 times in a week is very unfortunate aswell.

I recommend you to hire an Argentine Migrations Advisor to contact them in your behalf, who shall learn what happened with your case directly from them and do the follow up through all the process and you be completely out of the deal.

Robert Gisborn
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My experience with South America has been mainly with Colombia-a country I love. However, I'm certain from my experience and the history I have read that no country in South American has a culture like any other and certainly nothing like that of the US. Their definition of fair,democracy and freedom is different and difficult to understand-but it is their country and they call the shots.

David Cummings

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto . How are you long time no hear hows Miami?. I am with you Chavisim umm we have that that in England now can't believe it we have it in Argentina now c'est la vie eh. I still haven't managed to renew my DNI but not without trying - one police guy ( a friend who made some enquires) told me I have a problem I am a Brit gulp!!)

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

David, long time! I will hijack the thread just to wish you well down there and that the estancia keeps prospering :-) Whether it is your DNI or Richard's passport the underlying theme is always the big ole' argentine red tape.

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2012 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

An update on my situation, for all those interested:

After numerous phone calls and emails, I have finally re-established contact with the Argentine Embassy in LA.

The woman who originally handled my case on Oct 19 2010 apparently no longer works at the consulate, so I assume my citizenship case "got lost in the shuffle" or something.

The woman handling my case now said that my DNI should arrive sometime around April 2013 and also said that she has no idea why my case was delayed for so long.

I mentioned that my brothers had to retake their DNI pictures -- when they originally applied, they took pictures with a blue background. A few weeks later, they were told they needed pictures with a white background. I asked if my blue background pictures will be a problem. She said she has no idea if that will cause a problem.

I have reached out to a Argentine Migrations Advisor as Carmen suggested and if that pans out I'll be sure to keep you all updated.

So:

- My brothers will be receiving their passports before I even get my DNI.
- New woman handling my case has no idea if my original picture will be OK.
- New woman handling my case gave a very rough, vague estimate of April 2013. I assume that it will arrive much later than this, but we'll see.

And, most importantly:

- I am less than 1 month from my 2 year anniversary of applying and my anniversary of membership on this forum :-)

As always, I'll update this thread when I know more.

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Another update on my situation, for those following my story:

On November 21, 2012 I received my long awaited email with the subject "Su DNI se encuentra en el Consulado" !!!!

It was approximately 2 years 1 month and 2 days from the date I appeared at the consulate in LA and applied.

I really have no idea what to expect since my brothers submit different DNI photos than I submit 2 years ago (different color backgrounds, different head rotation angle). Because of this, I have no idea if I will be issued one of the "nuevo" DNIs or an older DNI. Once I finally have it in my hands, I will update this thread and let you all know.

I emailed the consulate in LA back and asked if I could apply for my Argentine passport when I fly down to LA in person to pick up my DNI. I'm still waiting to hear back from them, but hopefully I'll hear something next week about the process for applying for a new passport.

Hopefully this process is coming to an end soon.

More updates soon, I hope.

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi:

Well, today I finally picked up my DNI.

Here's the summary of the situation:

How I got citizenship without ever having been to Argentina:

I applied for Argentine citizenship via my mother who is an Argentine citizen. To do this, I had to travel to the Argentine consulate in LA which is the consulate that serves the region I live in. I have never set foot in Argentina. You can read more about what you need by reading this webpage (http://www.argentina.gob.ar/tramites/766-opci%C3% B3n-de-nacionalidad-argentina-para-hijos-de-argent inos-nacidos-en-el-exterior-de-la-rep%C3%BAblica-a rgentina-a-realizar-en-representaciones-consulares .php) or googling for "opcion nacionalidad argentina".

You will need to obtain a certified copy of your Argentine parent's birth certificate from Argentina. This is pretty easy, some googling and reading of the Registro de Las Personas web page and you should be able to find the form you need to fill out to get the documents you need.

Dates, processing times, etc:

If I recall correctly it took about 6 months to receive a certified copy of my mother's birth certificate from Argentina.

After that, I made an appointment at the Argentine Consulate in Los Angeles. I called them around mid August 2010 and their soonest appointment was Oct 19, 2010.

I flew down to LA on Oct 18.
I showed up at the consulate on the morning of Oct 19.
They sent me to get my picture taken by a photographer a few blocks away who knew the size, head rotation, etc that they required.
They took my fingerprints.
Other stuff that I don't remember.
l submit my application on Oct 19, 2010 once everything was ready.
I then waited for about 8 months.
I called them and emailed them and was ignored 95% of the time. When I did get some one to respond they told me that they didn't know anything and couldn't help me. It was unbelievably frustrating.
I received no updates or information throughout the process.
On, Nov 21 2012 I received an email letting me me know that my DNI has arrived.
Today, Dec 11, 2012 I picked up my DNI.

My DNI lists my nationality as Argentine.

My DNI is valid until 2027.

Passport

I can apply for a passport, but the Argentine consulate in LA can only issue a passport that is valid for ONE YEAR. It will take them approximately 6 months to obtain the authorization for me to get a passport. This authorization is required for people who have never had an Argentine passport before.

The consul general told me that I could apply for my passport in Argentina instead and that I'd be able to obtain it in about 15 days and it will be valid for 10 years.

I have decided to wait until I travel to Argentina to obtain my passport. It just is not worth dealing with the LA consulate.

Note to people in the New York Argentine Consulate jurisdiction: My brothers both applied at the New York Argentine Consulate and they received their DNIs in only 11 months. They expect to receive 1 year passports from the NYC consulate in about 3 months. They received regular updates during the process. I have no idea why the LA consulate is so much slower and more painful to deal with.

If I can think of anything else I'll add to this thread, but I am glad to finally be done with this process.

Thanks to everyone who responded with thoughts, comments, and well wishes over the last 2 years.}

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2081
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2012 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Congratulations!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration