Living in BA on a Tourist Visa still ok? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Living in BA on a Tourist Visa still ok? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rob Roy
Username: Panamahat

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have read past posts on the forum saying it's possible to live in BA on Tourist Visa by leaving the country every 90 days to have your tourist stamp "visa" renewed, or go to the immigration office and renew your tourist visa for 6 months.

Does this situation still apply? We are Canadian expats planning on coming the BA hopefully for a long time, and I really need to know what the current situation is.

If someone on the forum knows the straight goods, please oh please take the time to let me know. Many thanks!

Arial
Advanced Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 347
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, it is not only possible, it is a quick, easy, lovely trip from Buenos Aires across the river to Colonia or Montevideo, Uruguay on the ferry. The beaches in Uruguay are gorgeous if you want to go to one of the beach towns outside Montevideo and spend a few days. I think you have to spend a certain numbers of hours outside Argentina. Maybe someone else knows exactly. As I recall it is 72 hours but I'm not sure. You can also get your visa renewed at immigration. But as I recall you can do that once and then must leave the country to get it renewed again.

Nelieta Mishchenko
Username: Tinktinkie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, there are 2 ways to renew your visa. You can exit the country and return. From BsAs cross into Uruguay and return after 72 hours. They stamp your passport and you have another 90 days. The other option is to go to Immigration in BsAs and "prorogar" or renew your visa for another 90 days. The cost is 300 pesos. Please note you can only do this once. In other words after the 90 days expire you have to exit the country and return.

If your visa has expired you can go to immigration and apply for a "Habilitacion de salida". It will cost you 300 pesos and you have 10 days to exit the country. Again this is an emergency method if you are living in the country on an expired visa! They do blacklist you if you do this a couple of times and entry can be refused.

I hope the answer helps.

Rob Roy
Username: Panamahat

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi
Many thanks for posting the info, it's really appreciated.

WTMendoza.com
Advanced Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 477

Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have never heard of an official blacklisting of somebody who used the latter method described above. Border guards do have the right to question you and so forth and of course they have the right to refuse entry to anybody for any reason, after all, they are the boarder guards, but it had better be a good basis. Immigration does not have any official rule blacklisting because of the latter method described above.

Nelieta Mishchenko

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was told by an official at Immigration if you live in Argentina on an expired visa and use the "Habilitacion de salida" often they put you on a blacklist. In fact I had to use the "Habilitacion de salida" 3 months ago and when I presented my documnet at the airport my details were entered into the computer. So I believe this infromation is accurate.

Nelieta Mishchenko

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

To add I have presented my document at Ezeiza. Maybe different rules apply at different border post but they sure are strict at Ezeiza.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration