Passport Question Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Passport Question « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carlos Gelbart
Username: Buellwinkle

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I found my old Argentine passport from 1963 and an orignal stamped birth certificate. Is this renewable without a DNI (they did not have DNI back in '63)?

Should I do it when I go to Argentina in a week or go to the Argentina Consulate office in the U.S. and do it here. I will be traveling on a U.S. passport, but I figure I can buy cheaper airfare and travel into Brazil without paying for a visa.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Besides knowing whether the place for a resident abroad to renew the passport is Argentina or the argentine consulate in the US, it may be important to determine how long you are going to stay in Argentina.

I have always renewed mine in Buenos Aires and last time it was surprisingly easy and fast. It took about a week. But this was many years ago and things may have changed.

Libreta civica o libreta de enrolamiento will work too in place for the DNI, I think. It appears you can do this at your nearest consulate as well > http://www.mrecic.gov.ar/portal/temas_consulares/p asaporte/pasaporte.html

(Message edited by admin on March 12, 2010)

Carlos Gelbart

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I went to the Los Angeles consulate's office and they said they will not accept my original birth certificate and can't do a passport without a DNI and can't do a DNI without a birth certificate. They said it would take 1 1/2 years doing it in L.A. and I'm better off trying to at least start the process in Buenos Aires.

I will be in Argentina from the 21st to the 30th.

The problem is that my spanish is OK to get by as a tourist, not sure it will stand up at the Registrado De Estado Civil to fill out the forms and talk to the clerk for me. Also, if I'm able to get that while I'm in Argentina, I would like to start the process to apply for a DNI. Is there anyone on this forum that can take some time to help me while I'm in Argentina the week of the 21st, preferably Monday. I will glad to you buy you drinks, lunch or even pay you for your time. Or if you want something from the U.S., let me know.

I tried using a service in Buenos Aires at www.partidanacimiento.com.ar but turns out they are scam. Took my money and stopped communicating with me for 2 months.

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It sounds like the problem is with the document. You should be able to get a certified birth certificate remotely from the US. Not everyone has to travel to the country of their birth to replace their foreign birth certificate. This must happen thousands of times a year. I would start by finding out what you have to do to get a certified copy that will be accepted and then go from there.

WTMendoza.com
Advanced Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 475

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Carlos,

Bill has a good point, and those folks in the LA consulate are not famous for top customer service skills either, but most likely the reality is that it would indeed take a long time. Since you are booked for BA on the 21st anyway, you are probably going the fastest route. If no one takes you up on your offer, please let me know and I will reach inside my BA network of contacts to get you assisted on a live verbal translation basis for a modest fee on an hourly rate. Email me for follow up on this if you wish .Good luck.

Carlos Gelbart

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually had excellent customer service from the woman at the counter. They can certainly do the entire process from LA but she said at least 1 1/2 years to do it. I know she is not lying because my cousin took this route last year, and it took 14 months to get his DNI. She said if I can get a birth certificate and start the DNI process in Argentina, I can bring her the paperwork, she will call the office in Argentina and have them mail the DNI to the local consulate office.

I'm trying to get my cousin to help who travels to BsAs a few times a year, but he's out of the loop in China. As soon as he get back Monday, I'll see if he can help, if not I will certainly ask for your help. What is your email address or can I PM you?

Carlos Gelbart

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was able to get my birth certificate, takes 2 days if you pay the expedite fee of 30 pesos. Ordering it was quick, 10 minutes, coming the next day to retrieve it took 2 hours (take a number & wait).

I was not able to start the DNI process in BsAs because of the general confusion at Registro Civil and you have to make an appointment and they would not accept my passport number as a valid method to make an appointment, they wanted a DNI, sort of the chicken and egg thing, you need a DNI to get a DNI.

They then get further confused that I don't have an address not matter how I much I explained that they should send the DNI to the Argetine Consulate's office in Los Angeles.

WTMendoza, thanks for putting me in touch with Deby, she was great and helped in the process.

I will try again in Ushuaia since it appeared to be one of the few Registro Civils that did not require an appointment. Probably friendlier there too.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Carlos, thank you for all this information you are sharing!

Carlos Gelbart

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The government employees at Ushuaia must have heard I was coming because they went on strike that day. They do play a mean drum beat and entertained the public all day.

Government Employee Protest

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1975
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Funny... what you may be missing is that this might be happening another 364 times in a year.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration