Argentinean Citizenship Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Argentinean Citizenship « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Guglielmino
Username: Jgug1

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A number of months ago, I discovered that I am entitled to Argentinean citizenship by virtue of my father having been born in Buenos Aires, even though he only lived there for a few months. I do not know if we have his birth certificate. What I am wondering is how do I go about obtaining that right to citizenship? I did call the Argentinean embassy but the people there were not particularly helpful.
Hearing of any experiences would be appreciated.

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It is pretty simple and free. First you need a copy of his birth certificate. An original. Then you need a copy of your birth certificate. It will need an Apostile. You get that from the Secretary of State from the state where you were born. So you get a birth certificate from the hall of records where you brith certificate is kept. Long version. Then you send it to the Secretary of State and ask for an Apostile. Your state's secretary of state's office will have a form and address to mail it to. In Connecticut they charge a 40 collar fee for the Apostile. Finally you need positive id for you. Passport will do nicely. Now you have two choices..you can go to your closet Argentina Consular office.... New York, Washington, Miami, LA, I think Chicago. You make an appointment and bring in your stuff. Or you can mail it after you call them and go over what you are sending. You send it FedEx or other company that will record the delivery. When they finish checking the paperwork you make another appointment and go in for your oath and citizenship paper. Then you can apply for a DNI and Argentine passport if you choose. That is not free. The procedure is described on the New York COnsular Office website in english. good luck. My son is becoming Argentine by virture of my wife...who is Argentine.

WTMendoza.com
Advanced Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 471

Posted on Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi James, with all due respect you are flirting with slippery slopes by not insisting to get the complete instructions from the appropiate consulate (not the embassy) that pertains to your area in the USA.

Asking for this kind of advise on a message board is risky and often helpful, especially when people like Bill list out alot of details that pertained to his experience or people he knew , but in the end, reporting back to your original contact at the consulate, and following his/her instructions to a T, is the key. Good luck.

James Guglielmino
Username: Jgug1

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, the advice he gave makes a lot of sense. When I talked with the Argentinean at the embassy, she told me I needed an apostile. I assumed that a birth certificate was needed and some form of identification of who I am. Bill said all of those things. He also told us that the instructions are on line in English at the consular site. That all makes perfect sense. Of course, I would take no steps without confirming that what I was doing was correct. Thank you for your post.

WTMendoza.com
Advanced Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 473

Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Again, forget the embassy, contact the consulate that pertains to you, regardless of what it says in their web page.

History and experience of many will show that they don't update their web pages 100% all the time. Especially when they "receive recent communications/policy changes from our superiors in Argentina, that have not been posted on the web page yet"

You may also find that different Argentine consulates in the USA may have slightly differing requirements.

And, often you will find that the consulate in your area will say "it's on our web page", and that's great then, but get that persona's name, and keep detailed notes, names, and dates of what you were told, and follow up with that person when you deliver documents.

You have to be super persistent (and polite) in these cases.

Info like what Bill posted are potentially great supplements to your understanding of the process. But its exactly that - what you understand and perceive of what's needed at any given point in time. And in the end, if things go wrong, you can lean on that consulate person who guided you.

The biggest annoyance that I have seen, is that because it often takes several weeks to gather your documents and gets the apostilles on them , when you deliver the documents , thinking you are all set, and possibly even have a flight soon, then suddenly are you advised of document problems or lack of documents, by the consulate.

I would say my rantings here apply more towards the general residency visa processes than what the title of this thread is.
Sorry for ranting so much but I have seen a lot of pain in this topic by many people.

Good luck

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration