Pipe dream? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Pipe dream? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jos
Username: Jos

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have fallen in love with Mendoza and a beautiful family I've met there. I have visited four times (no longer than two weeks).

I would like the opportunity to stay there longer than 90 days, possibly a year or two.

Aside from what I have already read in previous posts regarding traveling to Punta Del Este or Chile (closer to Mendoza) to have my passport restamped and extending my stay, is there any other way to be able to stay for at least a full year or two "legally"?

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jos,
You could try applying for a "rentista" visa if you can prove you have income coming in monthly. It would give you the option to stay longer without doing the tourist visa renewals every time. You would need to prove at least $1000 in monthly income that is verifiable with documentation from your bank, etc. You didn't say where you live, but if you think you qualify then there are consulate offices you can contact in New York, LA, and Miami for more information :-)

If you can't go this route - I would still consider doing the tourist visa.

Laura
Moving to Argentina Ebook
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh and don't forget to search through the posts since there are lots of great posts with a ton of good information all throughout the forum!

Jos

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you Laura.

I live in New York. I am not of retirement age yet (I am 40 years old).

I own a home here and have good savings. I would have a place to stay in Argentina and can stretch a dollar with the best of them!

All I want to do is remove myself from New York into a more peaceful environment for a bit.

I called the Argentine Consulate and they suggested a rentista visa. Not sure what that means. I suppose that I can just keep leaving Argentina and having my passport stamped; thus buying me another 90 days each time.

Sounds bizarre. . .I have no relatives in Argentina. Just really good friends that have shown me that life does not have to be so hectic. I just don't want any legal hassles and that is what is making me nervous.

Most of the posts that I have read are very informative but relate to retirees and folks who have Argentine relatives.

I am just a city gal looking a temporary change in environment.

Will this be simple?. . .sigh

Again, thanks for responding.

Jos

WTMendoza.com
Advanced Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 389

Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jos,

Glad to hear yet another person talk about the magic of Mendoza - indeed it is special - there is just something about it, no?

"Rentista" means that the Arg govt is looking for your to provide proof of income resulting from a USA rental you manage and collect on, or enough similar type of automatic monthly income which proves to them you will not become a state liability when living here.

Without talking to you first hand, It sounds like indeed you may be better off renewing your 90 day visa with trips to the border and back, until you tire of this routine, discover more about Mendoza, and then reassess in the future.

In many cases, some people even choose to let that 90 day visa expire and then just pay the small penalty when they actually leave Argentina on their trip.

Where it gets complicated is if you buy property (vehicles, land, apartments etc). There are potential problems there that may haunt you in the future if you do it just on a tourist visa.

I do provide direct consulting about specifically living in Mendoza, feel free to contact me if you wish via Private Message here on Travel Sur

Good Luck and enjoy!

Cheers
Sean

Jos

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Sean!

Mendoza is indeed a beautiful place!

Please see PM.

Jos

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration