Should I expect to find a good job in... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Should I expect to find a good job in Argentina? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jose manuel zatarain
Username: Wanttogetaway

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi. I am planning on moving to Buenos Aires around October 2009, and am wondering what are the possibilities of finding a good job. I am from Mexico, have an international business college degree from an American university and a marketing specialization from a Spanish university, along with 2 years of post college relevant experience. By the way, I am 25 and completely bilingual (english and spanish)
I worked in the US but am bored with the lifestyle and want to move to Buenos Aires. I do know cost of living is cheap, but could I find a decent job? I mean, no offense intended, but I do not want to be a cook, bartender, waiter, etc. In advance, thanks a bunch for your help.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome, Jose!

A quick reply... Like many other things this will depend on personal luck.

But in general, the tide has turned and the environment is probably not the best. In the past, your best bet would have been to get employed by a multinational and get transfered, companies such as American Express or Cargill. Now, some big companies have been closing shop in Argentina, and moved people out either to Brazil or back to the US. My own sister got transfered to Atlanta last year and the regional offices moved to San Pablo, Brazil. Another thing to take into account is that the jobs you are aiming at will require papers.

Since you are young, I'd say take the plunge. Come down to Buenos Aires for 3 to 6 months and have a plan where you visit multinationals and offer them working as an intern. One more thing, you may not be happy with the pay. But it will be fun for sure!

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Your absolute best option is to secure a job with an international firm based in the US with offices in Argentina. Coming to Buenos Aires without a job in advance is folly. As Roberto mentioned you will need a work visa and a lot of luck. Good jobs in Argentina are often given out on the basis of who you know not what you know. The economy is cooling off and possibly headed for a crash. But you are young and presumably will work cheap and are certainly bi-linqual...all a plus. Try and do some research on US or even European companies with branches in Argentina and start sending letters and resumes. Your other option is to fina job under the table (in the black) in Argetina but the pay will be minimal. You should have a good supply of cash to see you through if you never get a job and a return ticket. Good luck.

Living in Patagonia
Intermediate Member
Username: Soulskier

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jose, consider identifying a niche and filling it. Working for yourself, earning dollars, pounds or euros and living on pesos is the way to go. Suerte!

jose manuel zatarain
Username: Wanttogetaway

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, Bill, Living in Patagonia: thank you very much for your advice. I will immediately send resumes and cover letters to multinational companies established in Argentina, hoping to get a job by the time I get there, or at least, an internship. You all have been extremely helpful. Thank you.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1834
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Keep us posted and good luck!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration