Recycle or return 1 litre beer bottles? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Recycle or return 1 litre beer bottles? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

B Wooster
Username: Bwooster47

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Do people return the 1L or so beer bottles back to the store? At a small "autoservico" I saw one customer bring a empty bottle, but I don't see too many people doing this.

If anyone knows: do you return the large (or small) glass bottles to the stores, or are they just thrown in the trash?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Recycling is not widespread by any means. I recently asked the guy at the gym if they had a special trash-can for my empty plastic bottle and he laughed. I heard Macri -in the City- has plans to work on this. The person you saw bringing back that glass bottle may have done this for a small refund. Just a guess. I remember in the old days grocery stores were charging an additional small fee for the glass coke bottles which was offset upon returning them empty.

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 62

Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Most 1L beer bottles are returnable and there is a deposit charged on them. The amount of the deposit varies - in some big supermarket chains it's as little as 80c, whilst smaller stores might charge 2 or 3 pesos per bottle.

With the exception of big supermarkets who will have a bottle return machine (which issues a credit voucher which can be used against your grocery bill) you can only get the deposit back if your still have the original receipt from the store where you bought it (as deposit amounts vary).

However, small stores are always happy to swap bottles, so the deposit becomes irrelevant. If you take an empty bottle back (regardless of where you bought it) you can "swap" it for a full one without paying the deposit again, even if it's a different brand (as long as it's a deposit bottle). In my experience this is what the overwhelming majority of people do - most "own" a few bottles and very few actually claim the deposit back.

The smaller beer bottles (330ml) are called "porrons" and usually there is no deposit on them. Although some stores do sell these you are more likely to find them sold in bars.

I hope this helps.

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

B Wooster
Username: Bwooster47

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That explains things, but I seem to remember a big-ish store (Best MiniMercado) charged me around 1.5p per bottle extra, for a 2.5p beer. I tried to clarify this, but my Spanish sucks! The price listed in the rack in the shop was 2.5p, so I was surprised by the extra charge. Maybe it was unrelated, though I did not buy anything else!

Then at a local AutoServico, very small place, they only charged me the price that was listed - this was a 4p beer (better brand, same price was listed at Best, but I'm now avoiding Best because they seem to add extra charges.)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration