How to get hold of cash while in BA... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » How to get hold of cash while in BA... « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam Walker
Username: Adam_walker

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey - I need to get my hands on cash ASAP as I need to pay a years rent up front on an office...

Now the cash machines only allow you to take between A$700 and A$1300 - can I go into a bank and take out a larger amount (I need a good AR$40000!!) - I am with NatWest...

Please let me know.

Also - the estate agents here, is it normal for the house seeker to pay them a month and a half in rent? US$1.5k seems a big commision, but I mam new to this...

THANKS!!

Christopher Henson
Username: Sandiegochris

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would arrange the payment through a bank or financial institution here, but they will charge you around 2-2.5% commission to do the transaction. Please be VERY CAREFUL when and with whom you discuss this transaction....there are people out there that would love to catch you coming out of the bank. I recommend having the real estate agent meet you at the bank to sign the papers and take the money. Robberies happen here with unsuspecting people in such situations. The month and a half commission is normal here (sometimes it is 5% of the total transaction). It is the same way in New York as the property owners do not pay the commission, the renter does. Your other option to not pay the year of rent up front is to pay a guarantee commission (usually one months rent) to someone here in Argentina who is a property owner and will guarantee the contract for you. It is similar to a co-signer in the states. Just be careful in this situation if you don't know your guarantor well. Your real estate agent who helped you find the apartment should help you, as they need to earn their commission you are paying them.....make them work for it!!
Good luck!!

Leandro
Username: Leandro

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello, I am a real estate agent in Mendoza, I shall count as is here in Mendoza to rent, as is the case in most provinces. You rent the property that you like, you have two opiciones to ensure that payment leads to the real estate two guarantors, I think that as you will have is not why we require you to page the whole year. The commission is charged one month's rent to the developer. The guarantee is if you hire at the time that the property and then when the breaks are going to return or destruction of his guilt charged with the arrangements that I make deposit when signing the contract. In case you have not broken anything and surrender ownership in the same state that recivio DEPOSIT TO BE THE DEVOLVERLE ENTREGO the end of the contract. Be careful what signature, many living spinning. Consulteme any thing I am going to try to help the distance.

http://www.businessmendoza.blogspot.com/

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Adam, that is a large chunk for local ATMs. There are reports on this forum of members being able to cash up to usd $2000 when a mastercard is used. Aside from Chris' advice, I would also explore one of the reputable exchange houses and try to make a connection there... There is a chance that the london based office may fedex you a check that you can later cash locally for a small percentage. That would be my course of action.

Benco
Username: Benco

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Adam,

you could try Banco Piano in the center (San Martin near Corrientes, if I remember correctly...) - I have seen a sign there that said you could get large amounts of cash (I think it was 2000 USD or more per day) with your credit card. So with a couple of cards this might suit you. I know they have very good rates for cash exchange, not sure about the credit cards though.

So this is a legal way to bring in some money without bank account. You can also talk to them about a wire transfer without bank account, it is not legal but I know they do it to some degree and someone told me they are less "shady" than other casas de cambio who do this.

So you found an office, congrats! And good luck with the money transfer...

Riyada
Intermediate Member
Username: Riyada

Post Number: 169
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just go to a money exchange house and ask them for the wire transfer details.
Have your bank wire transfer the cash to that.
Make sure you go out with the money exchange guards to a cab to go home.
Period

Bob Frassinetti
Username: Frassinetti

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

In the words of Houston Texas Businessman Mr J. Abraham, “Money, like water will find a way to go round obstacles”

Cash, one way: Values, currency and money entering in Argentina

For a long time now we’ve been talking about big time investments in Argentina and the ins and outs to several projects and approaches.

One important thing to consider in any kind of investment or big trip is money transportation, meaning which is the most efficient and secure way to move around your values.

World around, not only in Argentina, there are restrictions and legislations, and when dealing with large sums it’s important to have the know how to avoid complications.

According to the AFIP in Argentina –the local equivalent IRS- travelers entering our country can bring up to US$ 10,000 in any of the options available –cash, checks, traveler check, etc.-. And this amount is not required to be declared. However according to the General Resolution 1172/01-1176/01 of AFIP, all travelers and crew entering the Argentine territory with more than US$10,000 have to make a sworn statement at the Airport- Port or any other international terminal thru means of the Customs Declaration number OM 2087.

For underage travelers, this does not apply, especially because they cannot travel internationally with such large sums, limiting those between 21 and 16 with only US$ 2000 and those under 16 with US$ 1000.

In the case of taking money out of the country, the limit is set also at US$ 10,000. But there’s no exception, nor sworn declaration to take out of the country further more money. In the case of having a larger sum to take out of the country, the only way to make the transaction is thru means of authorized financial entities like banks, casa de cambio, etc.

The situation and modus operandis is pretty much the same in other countries. In the US customs’ website it is stated:

“If you are traveling to the U.S. or a foreign country carrying monetary instruments valued at $10,000 or more, you are required to declare it to CBP on your Customs declaration (CBP 6059B). In addition, you are required to file the FinCEN Form 105 with CBP upon your departure or entry into the U.S.

Failure to report monetary instruments in amounts over $10,000 may be subject to forfeiture and could result to civil or criminal penalties.”

This is crucial information to remember and bare in mind when investing and traveling abroad. Please don’t hesitate to contact us directly for further information.

Are ther other ways, and yes, there are .........

Invest in all that Argentina has to offer from Museum quality Art to Fashion from Antiques to Real Estate, and enjoy living with Arts and Antiques and Travelling all Argentina, Chile or Uruguay for them ....... read all about it here: http://www.frassinetti.com Phone: +54 911 6965 1955 or in B's A's: 15 6965 1955

Chat any time, Bob Frassinetti

Living in Buenos Aires

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration