Quote Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Quote « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom
Username: Tomatalki

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Back when I first looked at the forum I saw a quote from (Ibelieve) the World Bank about Argentina being with 1 foot in the 1st world and 1 foot in the 3rd world......etc.

Now that I've been here for a month I would like to reevaluate that quote but can't find it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Tom, I searched the board... I only found this (interesting) thread with references to the World Bank and this other one with a quote by WTM close to what you are looking for.

Tom
Username: Tomatalki

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto. When I first saw the quote I thought it was WTO, not WTM. And thanks to WTM for putting Argentina in such a perfect perspective.....for me.

Tom

"It is true that is a bit of a step backwards when it comes to efficiency and infrastructure, but if you open your mind, breathe deep, and enjoy the culture, it is fantastic. It's like the twilight zone here. One foot in the first world, one foot in the third world, one arm in the 50's and one arm in the 80's...with many fingers in the 21st century. "

Gloria Melgar Estevez
Username: Glorita

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom what a wonderful quote to ponder on...it is a quote that definds Argentina accurately for me as it does for you. For me it is the "culture" that is an asset and the "economic instability" that is a liability.
I would like your opinions on how the "ordinary Argentine citizen" contributes to the economic instability. I say this because I have seen many Argentines complain about the "corrupt politiicans" and "Argentina never changing"......I can't help to overlook that "the ordinary Argentine"(to me), is part of the equation as to why Argentina chronically goes into a black hole every 10(if not less) years or so. I have many examples to back up my thinking but I will only mention one that I currently read about....how is it that a person can buy a bran new car and go on vacation and yet have unpaid taxes?...and now
"they complain" because they are being stopped at the border where their records are now at hand to the border patrols and their car is confiscated. Now I ask, how is it that a person who can buy a new car and go on a vacation not have the money to pay their taxes?....I think that the ordinary Argentine should ponder on the famous quote "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what can you do for your country".(John F. Kennedy)

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

While I have an MBA my speciality is not finance. However, in studying and traveling to Argentina frequently I am of the opinion that Argentina simply tries to expand their economy too much too fast and the country cannot absorb or sustain that growth. This past year I know the government spend a lot of money in the provinces before the election. Borrowed money from the bank. That has to be repaid. Argentina continues to spend well beyond its capacity to pay back. The problem is this time they dont owe the world bank they owe themselves. Argentines just want a decent comfortable life. But I fear the current economy will cool down and there will be a minor recession or correction if you will.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration