How much should I save? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » How much should I save? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jonathan r
Username: Jonmiami

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am finishing up my B/A studies this summer and was planning on moving to B.A. for a few months to learn Spanish before starting law school the following year. I will most likely be arriving in late August.

I am wondering how much money my traveling partner and I need to save for two-three months worth of rent ( I'd like to live in a nice apartment in a nice area). How much, assuming I want to live comfortably, should I plan on spending on a daily basis? How do I go about renting a place and do I need to obtain any kind of visa to do so?

Any information provided to me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Christopher Henson
Username: Sandiegochris

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Jonathan.....glad to hear you are coming to Buenos Aires to explore....it is one of my favorite cities in the world, such contrasts!! I recommend that you try to book an furnished apt 3 months in advance, as the nicer ones book up quicker. The nicer areas will be Recoleta (more staid, parisian), Palermo (biggest and trendiest). or Las Caņitas (hipster). You can rent a nice furnished studio for $450-600 per month, and 1BR for $600-800, 2BR for $900-UP......this is only a range and can vary based on amenities required, location, furnishings, etc.
You can live in Buenos Aires like New York....as lavishly or simply as you can. There are many good affordable restaurants in the city. You can probably get by comfortably on $30-50 per day.....sometimes more, sometimes less depending on your spending habits. Buying groceries and eating breakfast and either lunch or dinner at home in your apartment can help you save money.
There is no visa required to rent an apartment, but most agencies and landlords require a one month deposit up front along with the first months rent. There are a number of reputable agencies, but many that are shady. Use this forum to find the best recommended.
Good luck!!

Matt
Username: Arglife

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I assume those prices Christopher gave you are in $US (here in Argentina the $ sign means pesos). For just three months you'll be on different rates to those people living here permanently so realistically for something nice I think you'll need closer to US$1000/month, and the sky's the limit for higher quality furnished apartments.

Rent will likely be your biggest cost unless you do lots of trips around the country. As Christopher said, I think US$30-50 per day is fine once you've paid the accommodation.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration