Cooking with Herbs in Buenos Aires Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Cooking with Herbs in Buenos Aires « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Emily McDonald
Username: Emily_anne

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi All,

Since the holidays are near, and many of us may be trying to replicate our favorite recipes, I thought I'd post my experiences around finding herbs here in Buenos Aires. While the supermarkets sell a variety of dried herbs, I found that its actually much more economical to buy fresh herbs in a local plant store.

Right now I am growing sage, oregano, mint and thyme - and plan to go back soon for basil. Each plant cost me about 2 pesos (often less than the cost of the dried version!), and will last for a long time. We can take advantage of this great weather and reverse growing season - the luxury of having fresh herbs during the holidays! In particular, I plan to use the sage in an upcoming Stuffing recipe for Thanksgiving.

The only thing I'm struggling with are some of the names for common herbs. If anyone knows these, I'd really appreciate the help.

Emily

Gayle
Username: Flaka

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Emily,

I bought an Argentine/English cookbook and I think these are the herbs:

oregano = oregano with the accent on the e.
mint = mento
sage = sabia
thyme = tomillo
rosemary = romero
basil = albahaca

Hope this is right. Happy Turkey Day.

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You can also get fresh herbs, great veggies and fruits (all organic and recently picked) from talloverde.com the boxes the send you are chock full of goodies.

Laura
Ebook Moving to and Living in Argentina
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration