Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Pumpkin Pie « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Xander
Username: Xandersal

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hola todo,

I live in Patagonia and am really wanting a good old pumpkin pie for my halloween birthday......except there are no pumpkins in the store...only green squash which don't taste the same at all.

Is there pumpkin puree in cans in BA, or real pumpkins?

If you can give me a lead perhaps I can get some here in time to make a pie for halloween.

Muchissimas gracias

W Piccione
Username: Mrspicci

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hola Xander!
I have seen canned sweet potatoes in JUMBO market. However, I have yet to see a pumpkin. I hope you find one! Thanksgiving (gracias del dia) is also approaching so let me know if you find anything.
How is Patagonia?
Best, Mrs. P

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've never seen pumpkins, squashes, zucchinis or okra while I lived in Argentina (grocery stores). Perhaps a high-end chef uses some of them in his/her recipes and knows where to get them.

Xander

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe the next time I'm in the US I'll get some seeds and bring them down.

The seasons are opposite here....so instead of pumpkin being harvested in October, it would likely be harvested in April....

I suppose the easiest would be to find a store in BA that imports specialty items from the Northern Hemisphere and get the pumpkin in cans....as the seasons are opposite and don't line up for fresh pumpkin...even if it was grown here.

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've seen canned cranberry and pumpkin in Jumbo but only during the holiday season. I have also found zucchini from Talloverde during season and I was lucky enough to find okra a couple of times at Norte in Acassuso.

Laura
Ebook Moving to and Living in Buenos Aires, Argentina
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okra!! Thank you, Laura. That is such great news... Well worth the trip north of the city I guess.

Jos
Username: Jos

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When I was in Mendoza in June, I ate pumpkin quite often. It is called "zapallo." My friends in Mendoza eat zapallo regularly.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jos, is that just like the big orange halloween ones or is it a smaller green vegetable from same family? I ate zapallito quite often while there but never the big orange ones.

Xander

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I live in the Bariloche area and last year we asked for a pumpkin but got a large mottled green thing that otherwise looked like a pumpkin, except for the color. The flesh was also a light color and not orange. We made it into a pie....but it didn't have nearly the same flavor as a pumpkin. It tasted like a gourd might.

Emily McDonald
Username: Emily_anne

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi All,

I had a lot of luck baking a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving this week! I bought one of the standard half pumpkins sold at the local Disco, and the baked the whole thing. The trick is that once you bake and scoop out the pumpkin, you have to let it drain overnight in order to reach the consistency of the canned pumpking available in the States. I was able to find many of the necessary spices (cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla), although I never found Allspice.

The crust was also a bit of an issue, because I only found all-purpose flour - no pastry flour. But it was still pretty good overall.

My oven here doesn't have exact tempertatures - so I set it pretty low and baked for about an hour and 15 minutes. The pie was even better the next day after setting for awhile.

All in all, the pie was a success - and I can post the recipe I used if people are interested. Now if only I could find cranberries!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Emily

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration