Argentina - a hard habit to break Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Argentina - a hard habit to break « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave Solomon
Username: Davsol

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a good friend from university who was from Argentina and after many years he had invited me to come down for a visit. He moved back there after spending 20 years in the USA. After a short tour or Buenos Aires, I traveled the 400 kms (240 miles) south to Mar del Plata and fell in love with it - this was a year ago June.
The beaches, the food, the nice people, and by North American or European standards, CHEAP! I spent 3 weeks there first trip and liked it so much I bought an apartment right on the beach, for 1/4 of what I would pay for it on the beach here. Some hassles, but once you learn the system, it's not so hard. I do speak Spanish so after they got used to my accent, no problems.
Went back a couple of months later to get it painted and fixed up, that took months, but in the past year have been back 5 times. Can't get enough of the place.
Had a dental appointment for $30 pesos, an internal CT scan for $180 pesos (including the nasty barium I had to drink and the follow up with a gastroenterologist), the same things up here would have cost me well over $2000 DOLLARS!
Great wine, excellent steaks, of course I didn't expect the Summer down there to be as crazy, over 1 million tourists from Buenos Aires there in January in a city of 600,000, but when you have a place there you don't have to line up for food or entertainment.
I don't mind the big city, but Mar del Plata is definitely enough for me.
One thing I did want to find out about is a reputable plastic surgeon in Buenos Aires for some cosmetic surgery for my girlfriend. Any suggestions?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dave welcome, great to hear stories like yours.

Can you tell us more about what type of surgery she is after? Nose, facelift, liposuction, etc.

Spartaco
Username: Spinsk

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

DAve, nice story, a question. Was there any major problems because you are a US citizen or just formalities and such? I am thinking about going to Argentina and perhaps living there. I am an artist so looking for a nice small retreat, like what you found to create my art and work. Thanks and any information will help. Is it that much cheaper that the US? Compared to mexico? Ciao

Spartaco.

Turismo en argentina
Username: Argentinafull

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Spartaco, i saw your web, I have a touristic information web site if you want send me pics and info or your work, and i will add it at my site,
Thanks
Viviana

Spartaco

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Viviana, thanks here's some of my info.

My name is Spartaco Margioni and I am an artist. Many of my clients have included Disney, Nicklodeon, HBO, MTV, Broderbund, Sierra On-line, Mondo Media, Maxis, and others. I've provided them with storyboards,conceptual design, characters, flash, animation, photographs, and illustrations.  I trully enjoy painting and focus primarily on creating my work for viewing. Open to all kinds of work, commissions are welcome. Here's some links.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80879497@N00/
www.spartaco.com/flic.html
Thanks, tell me what else you need. Ciao ciao

Spartaco.
nycspartaco@yahoo.com
415-992-8646

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Spartaco, US citizens are welcome in Argentina. Any obstacles will be the typical annoyances of relocating and the habitual culture shock... But you mentioned you have somewhat of an italian descent so you will feel very comfortable here. Also, having worked for such large studios perhaps you can still do some stuff over the net, get paid in dollars and have more than enough for your living expenses... Great name by the way! I wonder if the domain was available or you had to purchase it from someone else...

(Message edited by admin on August 28, 2007)

Spartaco

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

roberto, I was lucky and purchased the domain when the internet started a longtime ago. I have had it since. www.spartaco.com is my site. It has my work and pictures of my paintings. Thanks for the information. I am just a little nervous about the entire thing since I haven't been there and spent so much time in Asia. I am trying to relocate, buy a new home evenutally and have a place to settle in. Even an apartment as well, something artisty. It all sounds grand, need to take some spanish classes eventually, my spanish is broken italian, spanish from mexico. Any recommendations on cheap hostel to stay in BA? I am wanting to take a TESL course and seen many online, any recommendations? Ciao and thanks again.

S.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You were lucky. I bet spartaco/spartacus is a very desirable domain. Your parents got you a nice lifetime gift. Spartacus -at least what I know from historians- as many other legendary soldiers/warriors/fighters (Hannibal, Xenophon, etc.) are on the top of my list for inspirational reading (not because they have killed others but because they have fought against all ods and adversity). Enough diatribe.

I did check your site. You have wonderful photos! If you have spent plenty of time in Asia you may need some readjustment before you can live in latinamerica. As you can imagine, there are quite many differences.

I am not familiar with hostels in Buenos Aires. You can check the official site http://www.hostels.org.ar/ or a list of BBs at http://www.travelsur.net/directory/Argentina_Resou rces/Argentina_Bed_and_Breakfasts.html. For cheap hotels you can also check google's argentine index (google.com.ar) for Kings hotel. Don't worry about your spanish. Lots of argentines speak spanitalish.

Take the plunge!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration