Telephone prepaid-card and insurance! Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Telephone prepaid-card and insurance! « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Swede
Username: Swede

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, wonder if someone could recomend if it exist and maybe which brand of pre paid telephone card that i can buy in BA?

My other question is regarding insurance, how much does it cost to buy a insurance for a year, in case of accidents or something? And which company should i contact?

The last question, is there any company that you could recomend where you could open an account and buy stocks in Arg. companys and be active in the stockmarket?

thanks in advance!

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 35

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Swede

Regarding the phone card - it primarily depends on what you want to call: landlines (e.g. by using a public payphone), mobiles (cell phones) or international.

I can't say what which are best for the first 2 categories, but if you are going to be making international calls then personally I use "Llamada Direct" which can be bought from most kioskos. A $10 (peso) card will give you about 80 mins of calls to the US and between 50 and 60 mins of calls to Europe (depending on country). That's for calling landlines - if you are calling international mobiles then you will get considerably less time (about 10 mins for Europe).

I hope this helps.

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

Swede

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

thank you simon, i will just call within Argentina and mostly to cellphones! Is it llamada direct best for that?

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 36

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No, although I think the same firm do another card for calling mobiles (cells). I've no experience of using them as I always use my mobile for calling mobiles.

If you already have a foreign mobile then you can buy a local SIM card for it for under $50 (pesos) (e.g. from Personal) which will give you a local cell number. You will then be able to call other cells easily and relatively cheaply.

I hope this helps.

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For argentine stocks you may want to look at the ADRs that trade in the NYSE. Here are the companies listed

http://www.dbc.com/cgi-bin/htx.exe/dbcfiles/argntn t.html?SOURCE=/BLQ/STARBULLETIN

Much more liquid and safer than getting into the argentine bursar. My opinion only.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

An even safer might to buy ETF on the whole latin market (GML)

Swede

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto, i was looking for high risk investments, but the ADR could be interesting aswell.
What does ETF means, some index or?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

They are "exchange traded funds" and they trade like stocks and track indexes. But they are funds. Looks like they've done well in the past but not sure if it is too late to the game...

Brazil EWZ
Emerging Markets EEM
Mexico EWW
Latin America ILF

There are many... Argentina does not have one but you can play the whole latin basket which includes Brazil and Mexico.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration