Another work question about BA Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Another work question about BA « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

william henning
Username: Williamh

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hi,
great forum here. am think about the possibilty of moving to buenos aires and am aware of the work situation but let me say first off, i'm NOT looking to make alot of money just enough to live on in a small one room studio or something along those lines.
i'm from the USA and have been driving trucks for the last 15 years and wondered about work in that area or any type of driving job. living in buenos aires is my main concern so i'm not looking for anything fancy but more on the frugal side if i might say.
i'd like to think there must be some blue collar type work in a city the size of BA.
anyway, first things first so if anyone cares to answer another work type question i'd be grateful. thanks, william

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Argentina, like the United States, has a problem with illegal aliens. I would guess there are several million illegals living and working in greater Buenos Aires. They tend to work a lot of the real hard and dirty jobs as they work for far less wages than native Argentines. So a lot of the low level jobs are either not available or available at below subsistence wages. Truck drivers I believe are unionized. I am not sure if a resident alien can join a union. That may be an obstacle to obtaining a drivers job. That being said you may find opportunities elsewhere. Perhaps driving a tour bus that specializes in English speakers, maybe finding some work for American based companies. You may be able to start a business that centers around driving and caters to expatriates. While the economy is better a lot of Argentines are still hurting and trying to make extra money. It is very competitive. Good luck.

william henning

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hi bill,
thanks for the reply. if i do move to BA i will do it legally for sure. as americans, we're not the best liked people in the world right now and the last thing i'd like is to be in a foreign country illegally and possibilly disliked at the same time, not a good starting point. everything will be on the up and up with me.
it's a shame a great city like BA has to go through the hard times that it does.
well, there aren't any unions down south where i live but the northeast is full of them so i'm not real familiar with how they work, generally speaking.
thanks again for the reply bill. william

Darth
Username: Darth

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

William, if you get the legal papers, I think you can work here as a driver. The traffic is very heavy here in Buenos Aires, and the unions are really different than USA. This awarness isn t trying to let yo down, instead of that, it s trying to be helpfull. In Buenos Aires, fluent english speaking can be a very good skill to find a job linked with the tourist industry. Better than drive a truck, I think you can drive a Bus in the city, dealing with people who needs a friendly guy who speaks their own language.
Regards,

Dario
http://livepalermo.blogspot.com/
Best apartment in Palermo

william henning

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hi dario and thanks for the response. that sounds encouraging and i know everyone is trying to be helpful. thanks again, william

Darth
Username: Darth

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You welcome William. Argentina is a very friendly country especially with tourists. I ve been talking with some friends in tourism business and they said being fluent english speaker and knowing Buenos Aires will let you work here.
I guess is important to get a lgal visa. You can live for a year with a spanish student visa, or master/PhD visa without having to get out of the country every 3 monthes.

Dario
http://livepalermo.blogspot.com/
Best apartment in Palermo

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration