Conditions to fulfil to get resident ... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Conditions to fulfil to get resident visa « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michelle Sellier
Username: Agb

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi there,

Planning an installation in Argentina, I would like to know how to get a resident visa for my wife and I.
We are French, 61 & 63, retired in Thailand.
Thanks forward for helping us.

Regards.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Michelle welcome! There are some past threads on this topic that can help... here, here, here and here. Feel free to contact some of the posters privately. But the best will be to contact an immigration lawyer or the argentine consulate in that part of the world.

sean giovanni
Username: Giovanni

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am in the process of getting a DNI and need to get a translator and apostate some legal doucments. I am assuming that I do the apostate in my country, but do not know what it is. Can you tell me.

Many thanks,

Gioavnni

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 28

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sean - I assume you don't mean that you don't know what your country is! I can't help you there!

When documentation is apostilled it means that it is officially certified as being genuine or a genuine copy. This would be done in your home country by a recognised professional practicing in that country -e.g. a lawyer or doctor.

I hope this helps.

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In order for my wife to get her name changed on her DNI while she was in the USA she needed a copy of her US marriage certificate with apostile. What that amounted to was a letter from the Connecticut Secretary of State's Office indicating that the person who signed the marriage certificate was indeed a registered and authorized public servant in the town in which we received our marriage certificate. They knew what it was when I called and I think I had to pay a small fee. I also recall it had a seal and was official looking like a diploma. But it worked. Pain in the neck.

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Michelle, mon epouse et Francais! Bienvenue!

Robert is correct there are many great posts in the forum. Argentina has a lot of French nationals and companies as well, particularly in Buenos Aires. Why are you thinking about changing from Thailand to Argentina?

Giovanni, it depends upon where you're from. For the U.S. you would go to the Secretary of State where the ORIGINAL document is from and they will certify it and apostille the document. If you are from another country you should check with the consulate for your country about how you can get the documents apostilled because some counties like India don't actually recognize apostilles but European countries are more familiar with these.
for your translator you'll need to get your docs translated IN Argentina by a translator certified by The National College of Translators.

Is this helpful?

Laura
Ebook Moving to Argentina
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com/ebook

Arial
Username: Arial

Post Number: 76

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good job, Laura. However, I had my documents translated in Coral Gables, Florida, USA, by a duly certified translator. You can have it done outside of Argentina. Arial

Benco
Username: Benco

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think it is quite normal to have your documents translated outside of Argentina, since you need to get your visa before entering the country. If you enter as a tourist, you will need to leave again for your interview at the consulate.

It might well be that later you will need to have the documents translated again by a translator certified in Argentina...

Arial
Username: Arial

Post Number: 77

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you are in the US, doing everything yourself and working directly with the Argentina consulate there, it is much easier if you just find a local certified translator than try to get your documents translated by someone in Argentina. If you are working with an immigration attorney in Argentina, they may do the translating for you for less. However, you will need to FEDEX your original papers to them and they will have to FEDEX everything back to you. The courier fee to central Florida is $60 each way. You can end up doing that round-trip more than once.

You can do it either way. What counts is, as Laura told us, being sure the person is properly certified. The local Argentina consulate can help you with that. In fact, they can give you name(s) of local translators whose work they will accept. Arial

Benco
Username: Benco

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Contacting your consulate to ask about the translations can be very helpful, I completely agree with Arial. In my case they recommended a translator who would even get the apostille for me and charge about half of what others quoted (still 250 Euro...), and they also pointed out that not all documents had to be translated - they accepted an international birth certificate and my police record without translation.

Note that I had to get apostilles on my documents and then get the translation done with another apostille. The translator signs his translation and then goes to a notary. The notary checks the certificate of the translator and confirms its validity with his signature. Then a local court will add an apostille (a standardized stamp) to the document which says that the notary is properly certified. An apostille says nothing about the content, it merely explains a signature on the document.

Sometimes there are various ways of how to get an apostille, and procedures clearly depend on your country of origin. Although the apostille business is no fun, keep in mind that it actually simplifies things and you would have even more trouble without it. You might also consider it as a test of whether you will be able to bear the bureaucratic hassle in Argentina...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration