I would like to move from the UK and ... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » I would like to move from the UK and Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

chantelle
Username: Trina

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey all firstly I would like to say to Roberto how interesting I have found your forum!
I think this is a great way of exchanging and sharing information about Argentina.

Ok I'm a 22 yrs old and live in England with my two children aged 2 and 3. I would like to move from england and I am considering Argentina after reading this forum.
I have so many questions, but know a lot of them can be answered from looking around on here which I plan on doing.

Firstly where would you recommend as a good and safe area to live?
What is the employment rate and availability in IT?

I have a english driving licence would i have to take another test over there to drive?

What is the childcare like and what are the average costs?

As i am of mixed heritage (black, white and chinese) I am also curious of the population of other cultures within Argentina and how I would fit in. Could you please tell me what other races exist.

I think I will finish here dont want to overload everyone with too many questions.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chantelle, welcome.

In general, argentine population is very homogeneous: white, hispanic and catholic. Mostly descendants from "latin" Europe (France, Spain and Italy). Although hospital people and many times appearing as open-minded, questions about integration are extremely difficult to assess as one thing is visiting and another one is daily living. My feeling is that you will be welcomed and there are facts to prove this (an african-american person posted a while back how great she felt in Argentina) but this doesn't translate automatically into "integration".

Economy has been growing steadily for several years but employment opportunities have shifted quite a bit and sectors associated to exports/manufacturing are the ones that were benefitted. Professionals are making a lot less these days compared to the salaries they were getting in dollar terms throughout the 90's. I think you will find plenty of competition when it comes to IT but there may be opportunities still, as I heard Argentina has vastly increased exports of software.

Your driver's license can probably be good for a short period of time. If you plan on a prolonged stay the best route will be to get your paperwork in order including a driver's license. But perhaps you can "internationalize" it at the Automovil Club Argentino?? (must investigate). With your paperwork in order you can access good childcare and healthcare and coming from England costs should be a non-issue to you as long as you find ways of being compensated from abroad. If your idea is to get a job locally and fund your living like any other argentine, my bet is that you will also experience the same problems every other argentine goes through.

TRINA

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

sorry for the delayed response roberto I'm having trouble with my computer!
thanks for you information it was helpful
and no doubt I will have other queries in the future so talk to you then

david john kay
Username: Las_tablas_serranas

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hello Trina. I have recently moved from the UK to Argentina and would be pleased to answer questions you may have. The main problems I have found are working your way around the visa issues, which for Europeans are painstakingly slow and difficult, and the other, not being able to open a bank account. I have bought my car, house and business, we opened three weeks ago, all these things are possible, and relatively easy, but the previous issues are difficult. We do not live in BA, we live in Villa Giardino, a beautiful peaceful town. We chose this area as it is heavily influenced by tourism, and if you need to make money over here, that must be a consideration. The cost of living is extremely cheap compared to Europe, and you can easily get by, particularly if you are outside of BA on 200 pounds a month if you have to. Rental costs outside of BA can be as little as 300 pesos, depending on what you want, but you should certainly be aware of the fact that making a living over here is extremely difficult, and you will almost certainly not be able to save up for trips back to the UK for yourself and family, unless you are extremely fortunate. Argentina is a beautiful country, the people have been so friendly and supportive of us, we are mixing with the local community and have so far not found any anti british feeling, although I am aware that this does exist. Moving here has been a shear joy and being able to speak Spanish, well kind of, has Im sure helped the local people endear them to us. Good luck and feel free to ask me any question you want to

TRINA

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 4:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanks for the response david.
So how long you been there for? how easily do you think i could find a job in administration or IT? These are the areas im trained and qualified in. So what other routes are there you can take to open a bank account.
also do you have any children?

david john kay
Username: Las_tablas_serranas

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Trina
We have been here since last October. I nmy opiniun it might be very difficult to find a job in IT or administration outside of BA, and if you are not fluent in Spanish, this would be an added difficulty. As for opening a bank account here, my solicitor has tried every avenue possible, even accompanying us to the bank, and hit a dead end. The main problem seems to be that the red tape here is so strict, that all boxes need to be ticked in order for the process to continue and the immigration paperwork is indeed a very slow process, it seems that I have to return to England to get my original copy of my birth certificate (which I have with me)stamped as an original by the Argentine embassy in London. A way around this would be for a person who is living here as a permanent resisent to open an account in their name and for them to give you the card, thereby enabling you to get cash out easily (once you have waited in the queue for half an hour), but this would take an awful lot of trust on your side, and a risk that I was not prepared to take. I paid for my car by having money sent to me from England via Western Union, and for my property I returned to the UK, collected all the documents that proved where the money came from,a certificate from the nice men at customs and I didnt declare it when I arrived in BA for fear of being robbed at the airport. I figured I had all the necessary douments signed and stamped shhould they pull me up. That is what you will be facing here, so much better to arrange everything from England, but what you will also find is that the information given to you by various agencies will differ from day to day and indeed from person to person, so once you think that you have arranged everything perfectly, you may still have to arrange for a trip back to the UK to complete the rest of the paperwork. I am not putting the argentians down whan I say this, that is just how it is over here.
Im afraid that I do not have any children, so I will not be able to help you out there. I do have to say though that all of this paperwork is a very small price to pay for living in this wonderful country, I cant emphasise how pleased I am to be living here. There are numerous opportunities to start your own business here, integrate into the community and live a life full of colour. For me the health system has been outstanding, I have very high blood pressure and cholesterol, all diagnosed over here and more or less free of charge. I am under a cardiologist who every week sees me and gives me various tests from ECGs to an examination of my eyes. The medication is so much cheaper than the UK. I do not have private health insurance, as in Villa Giardino the service is first class, not so sure that this is repeated within BA, maybe others will be able to help you there.
Feel free to ask whatever question you have.

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 26

Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Trina

With regard to opening a bank account - once you have bought property here it should be relatively easy, despite the problems that others have reported.

Different banks have different criteria for opening accounts, and most don't make it easy. By law the only requirement for opening a bank account is to have a CDI number (tax ID), proof of address and a passport or other national identity document.

I opened an account easily at BNL (now part of HSBC) with just those 3 documents. Before that I tried other banks, but they just didn't seem interested in my business.

I hope this helps.

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wonder if it is easier to open up an account with an international bank branch in Argentina if you already have an account with that bank outside of Argentina? I mean for example Citibank is in the US and in Argentina. If I were to open and account in the US and then move to Argentina would it help me open an account in Citibank Argentina? I know they are both under the parent company CitiCorp but I am not sure if they are totally independent. I am married to an Argentine so I will apply for a permanent visa based on marriage at the Argentine Consulate in New York. It is a long drawn out process. My wife is applying for US citizenship but she is not going to give up her Argentine passport or DNI. I would love to find out if a bank like Citibank links US and foreign accounts under one umbrella. That would make it easy to transfer money. I could have my pension and social security deposited in the US based branch and transfer it as needed to the Argentine based branch. That sounds too easy to be possible. Any thoughts?

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 27

Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Bill

Sometimes a letter of introduction or recommendation from your home bank to a branch of the bank in Argentina can help you open an account, but it's not guaranteed. I've heard that it can make a difference whether the recommendation letter is general (e.g. To whom in may concern) or is addressed specifically to the manager of the branch where you wish to open the account, but I've no definitive proof of this.

I don't think accounts in different countries are held under one umbrella, the bank in each country will have it's own systems with its own accounts. However, with increasing globalisation, who knows what may be possible in the future!

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I did some searching and located BankBoston International. A private bank they call themselves. It says it serves customer throughout Latin America but it is based in Miami, Florida. I asked them if I could open and fund an account in the US and access those fund in Argentina at their Bank Boston branches...make withdrawals in pesos or dollars with no charge..use local services like checking and ATM, etc. Once I hear from them I will post the response. I agree with your thinking. I doubt one bank would serve both domestic and foreign needs but hope springs eternal.

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Banks such as HSBC and Citibank are not under the same umbrella as their international counterparts. after the devaluation the originanting banks split off from the argentine ones. Just because you have a bank account in the States or Europe does not guarantee entree into them. As Simon said, it can be easier once you buy property but it's not a guarantee. The banks are fickle and you just have to try and find one that is willing to accomodate you. as far as the wanting your business, often the attitude is whatever. Just check around. Otherwise you can open up your American account and just take out funds as needed with your ATM card.

One point also is that I WOULD NOT keep a lot of money in an Argentina account

Laura
Ebook Moving to Argentina
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com/ebook

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration