Moving problems Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Moving problems « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robbie
Username: Ganavan

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all,
Many thanks for all the fantastic information and advice on this forum......
I and my family are moving to Mendoza province later this year and I am a wee bit worried by all the comments about shipping in furniture etc. We were planning on bringing over a container of stuff, nothing valuable as such but all irreplaceable.
I'd really appreciate it if anyones got time to elaborate on those horror stories, just what sort of problems are we likely to encounter?

Thanks again.
ps, we will be moving from Scotland, if that's relevant

Autumn Lively
Username: Autumn

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I second that!We plan to move close to Mendoza from the US in 6 mo to 12 mo...I'll be watching for info and stories on this subject plus pets from the US....

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is only a general comment... I believe that the "horror stories" are more related to specific smaller shipments and have to do with customs paperwork and burocracy than with anything else. If you are moving from country to country and hire a reputable specialized company you should be fine. Here in Miami there are a few that are very knowledgeable about doing this type of shipments to Argentina and I am sure you can find a similar service in Scotland. A company who is aware of regulations and does this on a regular basis should help you overcome any hurdles. Waiting for others to post their experience.

Arial
Username: Arial

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I hope that all will post their shipping experiences here AFTER the fact as well. That would be helpful. I have not yet tried shipping personal effects here but an acquaintance of mine in Bariloche told me not to bring anything that was not irreplaceable in Argentina because it would cost me more than it is worth! He had such a nightmare bringing things in. He had to pay almost as much for his car as it would cost him to buy one, because he did not fill out a certain paper, he said.

Robertos comments about getting a knowledgeable shipping company just might be the answer. Someone who really knows what they are doing. Once you move, please remember us here on the forum and let us know your experience. Arial

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you are trying to move to Argentina on a tourist visa and ship things in, it's not possible. You need to have all of your visa paperwork approved on other than a tourist visa.

also for pet information, I've got tons of info on that as well as plenty of other info in my blog http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

Arial, one thing to remember is that if you buy a car, even a used one, they hold their value. Hence if you buy a new car it is still worth almost as much in two years time. And they definately kill you on the import tax. by the way, it can be difficult getting money into the country to buy a car. Real estate is one thing, but cars are something else. My friend just went through this recently.

Laura
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com/ebook

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 12

Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robbie and Autumn

I suggest you contact your local embassy in Buenos Aires. Embassies have a large staff that are always coming and going - placements are usually for a year, and families often accompany - and they will have had years of experience of moving staff belongings between home and Argentina.

Whilst they may not be able to actually "recommend" any specific shippers (probably for legal reasons) they should be able to give you a list of the firm(s) that they use.

I hope this helps.

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

Robbie
Username: Ganavan

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all,
Sorry not to reply earlier, I've been ill. Many thanks for your responses, I will certainly let you know how the move goes! we are planning to use a company that has offices here and in BsAs so hopefully it will all be ok......fingers crossed!

Kate

Ps Simon, I read your book, very useful and easy to read!

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 16

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Kate (Robbie?)

It's always nice to get feedback. Generally people have been very positive about it. I glad you found it useful.

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 245

Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello I will be traveling from Mendoza to BA next week, for most of the week, and offer my serices to trouble shoot CDI, bank acount open, cell phone contract, immigration issues, etc. - all routine stuff for us - please let me know if anyone needs services I charge 90 pesos an hour currently with a 5 hour retainer to get the ball rolling, and I get the job done - please schedule as much in advance as possible, through PM - cheers Sean

Gigi Sehr
Username: Gsehr

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You need a "certificado de residencia" from your local Argentine consulate. You have to have a visa already though. And you will still need to pay taxes to import a car.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration