Cost of living in BA - reasonable exp... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Cost of living in BA - reasonable expectations? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

lucas godburn
Username: Slostudent

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am planning on a move to BA in early August, I hope for a year. Is it unreasonable to expect to spend no more than 800usd/month - total living expense? I am single and can live a pretty simple life - that is, I dont expect to be spending money on all the frivolous extras that I would here in America (Car, cable, high speed internet,ect.)

Thanks for any experience and advice

Luke

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 999
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Luke welcome!

You might be able to make it but little by little things have been getting more expensive and is difficult to predict what prices will be in August 2008. Sunday newspaper listed several 1 bdr. apt for $850/900 pesos + expenses (about usd$300) and a few at $700 pesos + expenses (about $250) but perhaps you can find something even cheaper if you take the time. A rent like this will be 1/3 of your budget. Considering that food is cheap and you are not planning on any other expenses it is somewhat realistic.

But like anything here things remain unpredictable. This year we have elections and many things may happen to disrupt official candidates, such as increased insecurity, violence in the streets (like petty crime and at soccer games) plus relatively higher inflation.

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have read in some websites that focus on International Economics that the current president, K, is spending a great deal of money on the provinces to garner votes. Money that the country does not have and which he "borrowed" from the national banks. After the election the economy may take a downturn as a result. Another article says that Argentina cannot sustain its current rate of growth and because of that a recession is bound to occur. I dont wish either scenario for Argentina. My wife's family has a business there and they are doing well. However, if the economy stabilizes it will be good for you. I plant to retire to Argentina in 2011 or 2012 so I am looking axniously at inflation and rising costs. However, as was mentioned, the elections will show a lot about the future.

Luke
Username: Slostudent

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you. Your reply is helpful. August 2007 is actually when I am going down, so I expect that prices wont change so much until then.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Got it.

But you speculated with one year stay which in argentina's space-time continuum means very long term. So any project you may embrace should take into account possible outcomes for all the time you will be living here. Unlike the US, in just 1 year you may see gigantic changes in Argentina and whatever budget you may come up with for 8/07 may not feel the same by 8/08.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration