I need some advice Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » I need some advice « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Missie Hill
Username: Missieh

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am an Amercian Citizen living in the states. I have a 13 year old son. His father is from Brazil but is currently residing in Argentia. I think the name of the place is San Isidro?? This is my dilemma. He has 2 children by a woman who is from Argentina, he has recently had a problem with his health and has been unable to work steadily. The woman has now left him and we are trying to get him here so he can get the medical attention that he needs so he can work and send money to support his children in Argentina and establish a relationship with his son here in the states. I need to send him some money to get home to Brazil and to then purchase a ticket from Brazil to the U.S. What is the best way to send the money? Should I wire it through Western Union and if so what kind of fees are involved will they charge to convert into pesos or whatever currency is used in BA? Next question is... can our son help him get the proper papers to stay in the U.S. or does he have to be 18? What kind of documents will he need other than a passport and how difficult will it be for him to get one if his is expired? Pardon my ignorance but I want to make sure everything is done legally and that he has everything he needs to make the transition. I am thinking that the easiest way is for us to get married and if that is the case where do we start with the documents he will need and what is the cost? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I know this is too much info on my part but I want to make sure all my bases are covered!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 922
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Missie, welcome. The short answer for all of the above is *consult with a lawyer*. Some of your dilemmas are actually quite complex and you may be misled by asking in a forum. If you still want to hear personal experiences, I think western union can work out ok but is not cheap (10% to 11% fees) and there are limits as to how much you can send. If all you want is for him to buy an airplane ticket it will be a lot simpler you getting it for him in the US or through an argentine agency and issue it on his name. As an e-ticket, he could just show up at all airports -including the ones in Brazil- and travel just fine. I really doubt his son can claim him. I think the limit is 21 (maybe 18) but this should be handled by a competent lawyer. And brazilian people may have some issues to get visas for the US, at least they had some time ago...

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 309

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Missie and welcome
Your marrying him does not guarrantee him the right to enter into the US. There must be a sponsor which could be you or another person. The sponsor has to have a certain minimum income for the visa to be issued.
Obviously your 13 year old son will not qualify.
A good place for him to start is to go to the US embassy. You can also contact the state department here for more information.
The US state department has a web site with info on it.

www.state.gov

Good luck

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration