Expats or anyone... Would like to int... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Expats or anyone... Would like to introduce yourself? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 815
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought I would open up a thread for expats who may want to network, meet each other and share mutual experiences... If this gathers momentum I might open it up as a subtopic.

Expats or anyone contributing here, we'd like to know more about you...

(Message edited by admin on October 31, 2006)

larry Rogers
Username: Larryr30

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto,
No, we can keep this a public interest, I think that is great and would, in hopes, influence some more individuals to come out and see the world alittle...hahaha. Thankyou for the response and I hope to gain some speed with this forum, so for that thankyou!

Now, for the introduction...My Name is Larry Rogers and I'm 30 years of age. I live in the Alto Palermo area and do Structural Design/ Drafting for an American firm in Texas called TDI (Texas design Interest). I have only been in the B.A. area for 2 weeks or so and have a non-detailed and unlimited schedule for residency here. My reason for trying to network is two fold, the first part is I believe that there are many (Portenos/ Expats) that could benefit by meeting and greeting and second, there may be some common interest between us that might be hard to find without alittle help and personal contact. In closing, I believe (thankyou Roberto) that this forum might be the place to start a creative area for opinion and options, whatever they my be.

Larry Rogers

Sam W. Davis
Username: Samwdavis

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Howdy neighbor... :-)
I just arrived from Dallas, TX area into Buenos Aires a couple of days ago and will be travelling on to Cordoba in a few more days where I will take up residence. I can't really say much about my business interests here in a public forum for competitive reasons, but I'm in software development and work for a U.S. company. I'm here with my wife, who is a native Argentine and a U.S. perm. resident, and our 3 year old, also a U.S. citizen. I think the idea of expats networking is a fantastic idea. But, it will probably be even harder for me to find that in Cordoba than those of you in Buenos Aires. Good luck to you!

Arial
Username: Arial

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Since you are asking for intros from people anywhere in Argentina, hello to everyone! My Argentina stomping ground is Bariloche. Although I am currently in Florida, USA, because of an aging mother, I plan to return to Bariloche as soon as my residency comes through and once my mother has gone on to her reward, I doubt if I will ever come back!

I masquerade as a retiree (NOT!), am a part-time magazine writer, (retired) editor, and investment manager. I absolutely love this forum. Thanks to every single one of you that contributes here! Arial

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My husband and I are outside of Buenos Aires in one of the suburbs to the north of the city. We are expecting our fist child around Christmas who will be born here.

We moved here with just our two dogs and two cats, and the suitcases we brought. We bought the things we needed once we got here.

We came from Miami. But actually I'm from Connecticut originally and my husband is from France. Mainly my husband's work is with French nationals through the embassy helping them with relocation.

I have a real estate license in Florida and am also doing a lot of writing - so I decided last year to parlay that into a blog about the relocation experience, and am about to publish an ebook on moving to Buenos Aires for everyone from wayward escapees to retirees to students to...well just about anyone looking to come here

I think this thread could be useful just to get to know the people who are always posting in the forum.

larry Rogers

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robert,
It looks like things might pic up here, glad to see the interaction amound us. Once again, this forum was a huge assistance in getting me fimilar with events and people of agrentina.

larry Rogers

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry Roberto, don't know what happened to my O.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 818
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

np... I think Laura had a great suggestion. I changed the title to broaden the scope. Anyone interested can drop a few lines.

Steve Gianella
Username: Stevieg

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all!

I just found this forum! I am on a two year plan to move to Argentina. My father is from Rosario, my cousins, and aunt live there. I have been to Argentina many many times to visit. My Spanish is fair. In 2001 I was there for a couple of months, looked around and decided I wanted to make the move. I sat on the idea for a couple of years. In Nov. 2005 I started my plan of action. I purchased a small apartment in Rosario. I returned to the states; sold my house, my cars, and my furniture. My plan was to move to Rosario live off USD 500,00 and whatever parttime work I could find. Well in the middle of my planning a friend got me a job in Eastern europe. In Aug 2007 I will have USD 100.000 and be on my way to Argentina! A year and half off my plan ...but hey I needed the cash! Now I must decide what to invest in. I am thinking about a bar or small hotel in Cordoba or Rosario. I want something seasonal so I can work June-Sept. in the states and the the rest of the year in Argentina. I can make enough money from my three months in the states to live off year round, but I like to stay busy so a bar would be good for me. I might think about a beach town....

Any ideas, suggestions??

Steve

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 878
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Steve! A bar in Rosario may work... plenty of young crowds. Have you researched La Plata too? Since you won't be needing resources that much you may actually be able to go through a considerable amount of time learning what works and what doesn't. A small hotel may be a completely different game though. What is your expertise or line of work?

Steve Gianella
Username: Stevieg

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I worked at a large hotel for four years when attending college (University). Since then I have worked as a trainer for the government (not much of a marketable skill to use in Argentina). I have also worked at a friends pizza place off and on through the years.

My cousin has a cafe in Rosario, so I have an advantage as far as learning Argentino business practices.
I will be in Argentina in Feb.on vacation , so I will look around then. I can not leave my job until Aug 2007. I am going to look at a small hotel in Cordoba (10 rooms), during my vacation.

I am just thinking about ideas at this point....

Thanks for the advice Roberto!

Steve

Jude OHara
Username: Jude1971

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well this is a nice thread - getting to know each other...

I am Jude, i´m 35 and this is me http://www.aestheticargentina.org/images/jude1.jpg

And the main thing is that I have a Charity Foundation in Buenos Aires and it keeps me very busy indeed. The site is Aestheticargentina.org and more can be learned from my profile.

If you would like to know more about me I have a blog which can be found at Aestheticargentina.blogspot.com.

And I have been in Buenos Aires for 3 years now and am a proud owner of my DNI and am casi porteņa!

Good to visit this forum, have a lovely week all

Jude

(Message edited by admin on December 12, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration