I plan internet Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » I plan internet « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Farman
Username: Samui

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would like to semi retire in Argentina. I have been to B.A. one time, this April for 30 days, and I have been planning my move to Argentina ever since.

I need a very good broadband connection to the U.S. I would like to use Iplan internet, but I am having a hard time finding a Map of their fiber routes. They have over 300 blocks in B.A. and some locations in La Plata. I have emailed their corporate office in English but no reply.

Does anyone know how to find a map of their routes or can someone email them in Spanish to find out if they have a map. Thanks

Dixon2864
Username: Dixon2864

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I didn't want to start another post about internet even though my question is a little different though still internet.

Are the high speed internet connections dependable? Do they go down any/much? If I get an apt with a cable connection, do I have to worry about it failing on me? If I have to worry, how much?

Thanks

--

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 193

Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

They have very reliable buildings in Argentina. I have not heard of any of them falling on anyone here lately.

Mark Farman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think Tom Woodson misunderstood your question.

I have used
Fibertel for a month and it was down for 6 days. I have also read some Spanish forums and they Nicknamed Fibertel, Fibercrap.

Iplan Internet has a fiber network with a direct connection to the U.S.. The problem is that you need to find a Building that is already wired. They have most of their Building in the MicroCenter.

I am looking for a Residentual Building that is already wired.

Dixon2864

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What is the MicroCenter? Is this some place that I can take my laptop to connect?

6 days is a long time. Do you think you were just unlucky or do you think this comes with the territory... every month it would be like this? What I'm getting at is that often people can point out once within a year that it was out for 6 days, because it was hard on them they remember it, but I'm trying to gauge the normal. I want to know exactly what to expect. I mean, is the building going to fall on me or not? :-) That last sentence was a joke.

Mark Farman

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Micro Center is Downtown Buenos Aires. The Center of the Micro Center is Florida Street. It is a walking street, and yes there are several computer shops there. There are hundreds of internet cafes in Buenos Aires.

My cabe was not off for 6 days in a row. It would be off for 8 hours during the day 4 days in a row. When it goes down they take their time fixing it. I may have had some bad luck. It is so important for me that I have a program that Pings my broker every 30 seconds and keeps a record of the times.

It all depends on your type of business.

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 194

Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are thousands of places to use the internet in Buenos Aires. I think they are called locaturios. Some are faster than others. Usually they cost a buck or so an hour.

If the net goes off it is for a reason. Otherwise it is as reliable as AOL.

I am talking about the city. There are other parts of the country where grass grows faster than the internet connections.

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 196

Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

By the way, my building remark was ment in jest. :-)

Dixon2864

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the update guys. At least I know that with my bad luck, I'll not be able to get on the internet in BA. Actually, when I arrive in BA, nothing will work, the power plants will malfunction and the phone system will likely blackout.

But, don't fear guys, when I leave, just a few hours before I leave, everything will suddenly work again. :-)

--

Wizo
Username: Wizo

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What are typical prices for say a 5Mbs cable connection? (5000Kbs down, 500Kbs upload)

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 811
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

According to fibertel the 6M downstream/256 upstream is at usd $200+/month (plus taxes). The 4 M is half the price (Ouch anyway).

> http://www.fibertel.com.ar/Section.aspx?Id=3181

Check Iplan here:
http://www.iplan.com.ar/contacto/pyme

Wizo
Username: Wizo

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto.

One would hope that the connection is reliable when paying that price!

larry Rogers
Username: Larryr30

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't know if I'm off base here, but I live in Alto Palermo right off Sante Fe and Vidt, most individuals around here have high speed internet,(of course in Palermo)...anyway, I use a company called Telecom, they charge 20.00 pesos a month for the first 3 months, then it doubles for the next 6 months...the remaining 3 months is some odd 60.00 pesos.

The high speed modem is provided by motorola and has been nothing but reliable, depending on how much bandwidth is being used, but for the most part, it's just as fast as a U.S. connection...suprisingly they have called me twice within a 1 month period to see if I'm happy with it!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 848
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Larry, is this cable or DSL? and do you know the upstream/downsream speeds of your service? Wizo was asking for the ultrafast ones... more oriented towards business if you have to upload a lot of files or gaming when downloading. I don't think a recreational user needs 5Mbs.

larry Rogers

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is a cable modem, and I use it for business purposes only. I have a job in the U.S. designing commercial buildings and residencial homes...thus I have to download alot of information over a VPN (virtual private network). I'm not sure of the up/downstream, but most cable modems run at 4-5mbs, is that not correct?

Sorry for not stating exactly, I don't know of any DSL configuration that is really high speed. In the U.S. I always think of cable modem being high speed and DSL being DSL. Sorry for the confusion, trying to get that stuff out of my head!

larry Rogers

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ran some benchmark test and states that I have a connection compareable to 384k, I think that he is looking for something like a T1 connection, which I don't think will get here.

James A Romero
Username: Jromero

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It would be greatly appreciate if someone would share their experience with using VIOPs in Argentina to conduct business type calls to USA or UK?

If so, what ISP was being used and with what rate of reliability, and call clarity?

I currently use VONAGE (a USA based VOIP) for all of my calls within the USA, however with a 5658.8 kbps connection based out of La Jolla, CA. Should I expect to experience a noticeable decline in call quality - or more poignantly will my clients notice...

Thank you in advance for your time.

Best regards,

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 857
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

James, welcome. Private message (pm) Michael. His nick is apartmentsba and he uses vonage in Buenos Aires and understand he is very happy.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration