Post Number: 17
|Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 9:17 pm: |
After 2 months in BA I am now back in the states and can’t wait to return (middle of March). I’m planning on living mostly full time in BA starting in the next year or 2. This trip has brought up a number of questions, some important and some trivial. Some may just be rumors. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
I’ve heard that when I pay my Real Estate taxes I need a sponsor. What responsibilities does the sponsor have?
I’ve heard that if I get a residency visa I will have to pay taxes on my “world wide assets”. Is this true?
To get a residency visa I need a police report. Is this local police or FBI?
Do people drink the tap water? I see a lot of bottled water sold.
Any plans of a get together end of March, beginning of April?
The place I bought had a shower in the kitchen. No enclosure, just a shower in the corner of the kitchen. Is this strange in Argentina also or is there something I’m missing?
What is the schedule for school kids, daily and yearly (when are they in school and when on vacation)?
Has anyone ever made a translation list of ice cream flavors (and posted it). What are your favorite (#1) ice cream shops. Mine is Victoria Cream (so far. I haven’t tried them all…..yet).
Are there bills that can be paid on line or any other strategies for bill paying when not in BA.
Thanks a bunch for any help on these.
Post Number: 1495
|Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 1:05 pm: |
Hi Tom, I only know the answers to a few...
- The police report should be from the police dpt. where you live, not the FBI.
- I have rarely drunk tap water in Buenos Aires unless there is some kind of filter hooked up to the pipe and even so I would favor bottled water.
- I am planning to be there this month and see if there are others who may want to get together down the road.
- I have never seen a shower in a kitchen and I lived in Buenos Aires for 30 years. Perhaps this is an older place?
- School vacation starts around end of December (summer) through beginning of March and then there is a recess in mid July. But school calendars may vary slightly from school to school.
- I used to like one called Alpina in Las Heras and Pueyrredon but it's gone. I like the ones from a small shop on Esmeralda street before reaching M.T. de Alvear.
Post Number: 53
|Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 3:26 am: |
Personally I have no problems with drinking the tap water in BA. It's not the best tasting water in the world but it's perfectly potable.
Regarding the shower in the kitchen - I have seen this before. It's usually where the original apartment was built with maid's quarters, and the shower was for the benefit of the maid who (presumably) spent a lot of time in the kitchen (preparing meals) out of sight of the family. There is usually a small bedroom leading off the kitchen where the maid slept.
Some of these older apartments have now been sub-divided into two smaller ones, and sometimes the maid's quarters are just marketed as an extra bedroom (or box room).
This is probably the origin of the shower in your kitchen.
Hope this helps
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980
Post Number: 18
|Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 4:43 pm: |
Thanks for the help Roberto and Simon.
About the shower—it's a newer building and in the corner of the kitchen is a complete shower with shower head, and pan but no curtain. Also the kitchen is open to the din/LR. Not real important. Thought maybe I was missing something.
Still a couple of unanswered questions that are pretty important to me if anyone has any answers.
1. I’ve heard that when I pay my Real Estate taxes I need a sponsor. What responsibilities does the sponsor have?
2. I’ve heard that if I get a residency visa I will have to pay taxes on my “world wide assets”. Is this true? What percentage? How do I report my "world wide assets"?
3. Are there bills that can be paid on line or any other strategies for bill paying when not in BA.
Thanks to all....Tom
Post Number: 1512
|Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 9:05 pm: |
Arial has confirmed #2 on another thread. I think Simon got it right. This must be some kind of unfinished renovation, nuking the room/bathroom for the maid.